LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Acta Non Verba
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share that my stock A4 GTO had no problem discarding a newer body style M3 from a 50 mph roll on...twice.

Not much to say, in the M3 owner's defense he had a passenger and I was solo on low fuel (maybe 2 gallons in tank)...but from a 50 mph roll that shouldn't make all that much difference. He definately was trying cuz he lunged forward revving next to me a couple times before we both punched. He hung in there until about 75 then from there until 110 it was me slowly pulling.

I dunno, I think it's funny there was all that "discussion" about who would spend 50grand on an M3 etc etc etc. but yeah I guess they aren't THAT fast. Good for a N/A 6 cylinder, but TBO give me a regular 330ci (or the new turbo 335) for less $$ and a better ride quality. They look almost the same and there seem to be MORE M3's than there are 330 coupes (not the 325's) on the road here in MA.

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
Just another day in the city...

·
_.:LS1GTO:._
1,004 Posts
When you get to the top end cubes rule. Good kill.

·
_.:LS1GTO:._
1,004 Posts
phillysrt4 said:
When the turbo spins, the bs ends.
apples to oranges

·
Registered
85 Posts
From roll the m3 is really slow because of their low cubature and that also means little torque. But from standing start m3 runs about 13.2 in stock and reaches 0-60 in 4.8s. Or if we go to curve roads then m3 is alot faster:gears:

·
Eurotrash
707 Posts
M3 is no joke. Unfortunately, most people who own them can't drive them! They're the number 1 car I avoid when I do track days because people always overestimate how good they are in the corners, and they're tough cars to handle because of the peaky power and light weight.

I'd own one in a second, though. Nice kill!

·
Acta Non Verba
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I guess my problem is that, I just don't see the need for an M3 TBO. To truly see their performance edge over something like a GTO or (dare I say it) a mustang GT/G35 you'd have to track it. If you DO track it you wind up beating the bejeesus out of it...thus negating the fact of having a nice luxo supercoupe. You can't do crap to the engine cuz it's already strung out...and parts are way expensive. For the straight line acceleration grin factor that most people get outta fast STREET cars, you may as well get the 330 or the new 335...which has plenty of that, and since it is a turbo car you could probably make it faster than the M3 pretty easily (in a straight that is). In other words, in street form, I expect more outta an M3. It isn't THAT fast for the $$$, looks just like a lesser priced 330 coupe, drives worse than that lesser priced coupe in the streets, and everyone and their momma has one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
BostonF4$ said:
It isn't THAT fast for the $$$, looks just like a lesser priced 330 coupe, drives worse than that lesser priced coupe in the streets, and everyone and their momma has one.
Hello dude!
How come 330 drives better than m3 . It´s total :bs:
They are 2 diffent cars. 330 i just faster than most street cars.
But in corners and also in the track m3 has more torque, horsepower and better suspension. I really have thinked about buyin m3, but if z06 came out i said bb to this idea ;) But i have tried m3 on track and streets, only thing seems to better with GTO is that the suspension is softer on streets and the engine lasts better and has more tuning potential.
Anyways the price of m3 is about the same as GTO price in Europe.
Tough i would more likely compare GTO to something like BMW 650. Actually it allmost looks like BMW 650 too, but gto never has the build qualify of BMW(yes the new ones are nt so good at all). GTO is like cheaper version of BMW 650:turbonaug

·
Acta Non Verba
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a passenger in an M3 and a driver/passenger in a 330 coupe and 325 sedan, I can assure you the ride is pretty damn harsh in that M3 in comparison to those two. The GTO is much softer on the street. What I am saying is that for a car to more or less look exactly like a cheaper version, drive crappier and still carry the luxo badge, and cost more it should have much much better performance. For the little bit better straight line acceleration and marginally better STREET handling I'd rather just have a normal 330 or the new 335 or a G35 coupe. Give it better (more distinct) looks or a better ride to even things out and I'd like it better. I'm not comparing it to a GTO at all, I'm just surprised I had no problem reeling it w/ my A4 LS1 fat pig goat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts