LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for reading this.
A co-worker with a 2004 GTO tells me the thinks his transmission is due for rebuilding. Are there any swaps available? Is rebuilding the best bang for the buck?

Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why does he think it’s time to rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey thanks for your reply, from what he has said, sounds like the synchro's are going. he just bought a house so trying to help him find the best solution for his money.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well for normal wear and tear parts, the gear box has mostly everything. Tick offers a kit for normal rebuilds. As far as swaps go, tremec offers the magnum f now. Just need a yoke to go to 32 spline put on an aftermarket driveshaft.
Got tired of rebuilding mine and put a regular magnum in it last January before the new magnum came out.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,068 Posts
How is your co-worker's car setup, 1000HP dr4g m0nst3r or stock LS1?

There's nothing wrong with a basic rebuilt of seals, bearings, and synchros in a T56 if the car is bolt-ons or less.
I had mine rebuilt at 151,000 miles only prompted after a failed pilot bearing and a clutch upgrade. Basic rebuild kit plus the other work was around $3k and it's shifting great over 10k miles later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your replies, it's an upgraded LS1, he put heads on it,camshaft, headers, I believe he's making over 400HP and torques. Mileage on the drive train otherwise is around 125K.

·
Worthless reject member
39,142 Posts
you wouldn't want to use an f-body unit. gearing is different & synchronizer assemblies are not as good. i think there are a few other things that make the GTO t56 better than the f-body unit.

you can use a tr6060 but it is fairly involved. it is definitely not a direct swap.

your best bet is a low-mileage GTO unit or sending it to tick performance.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Another option to consider is D&D Performance (DDPerformance.com). I bought a T-56 Magnum from them set up for the GTO. It works great in my 05. They also have a Magnum set up for the 98-02 F Body.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another option to consider is D&D Performance (DDPerformance.com). I bought a T-56 Magnum from them set up for the GTO. It works great in my 05. They also have a Magnum set up for the 98-02 F Body.
Thanks WA Goat I will pass it along to him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts