LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
I have a 2004 GTO with an auto trans. I only mods to the car is a cold air kit and a flowmaster muffler (orginal pipes).
I took it to the track lastnight. I am vary disappointed at the results. The car feels super weak thru out the run. The car would not chirp a tire . The first run (car was hot) 15.13 et. my second run I waited for it to cool down. The ET got worse with a 15.20. This car is so slow I was asshamed to run it again.
A few months ago I ran it at the track. My first pass 14.20 the second 14.50s the thrid 14.70s. This thing seems like it is getting slower and slower!

Some times I can drive the car and it will run strong! It feels like a entire different car! Other times it wont pull a wet string out of a chickens ass!This SOB seems like it has a mind of its own!
Anybody got any ideas on why this thing is soo slow and inconsistant?!
Thanks
Eddie

·
9 Second Club
14,788 Posts
bowtiess said:
HI,
I have a 2004 GTO with an auto trans. I only mods to the car is a cold air kit and a flowmaster muffler (orginal pipes).
I took it to the track lastnight. I am vary disappointed at the results. The car feels super weak thru out the run. The car would not chirp a tire . The first run (car was hot) 15.13 et. my second run I waited for it to cool down. The ET got worse with a 15.20. This car is so slow I was asshamed to run it again.
A few months ago I ran it at the track. My first pass 14.20 the second 14.50s the thrid 14.70s. This thing seems like it is getting slower and slower!

Some times I can drive the car and it will run strong! It feels like a entire different car! Other times it wont pull a wet string out of a chickens ass!This SOB seems like it has a mind of its own!
Anybody got any ideas on why this thing is soo slow and inconsistant?!
Thanks
Eddie
Welcome to the board guys. Come on down to the Drag Racing Forum and bring this up. Do some searching on heat soak, launching, and related topics. There are some of the finest drivers in the country that post there. Many of them helped me cut over a second off my 1/8 mile time.

·
What A Rush..
916 Posts
Two words.. Torque Management. 100% stock with a K&N CAI only my typical runs was around 14.27. I got it tuned by Jeff Creech and ran the car on a 100+ degree day and nailed 7 runs all around 13.73-13.75 (two my wife did) and finally broke 100 mph. The only difference was the tune to reduce the TM, raise the shift points and have the fans come on quicker. Cost $200 for the mini-tune. Still don't know what she dyno's.

Our auto cars are choked by this. Find a tuner spend some money and get real happy. I can go sideways on a 1-2 shift which is something I never could do before the tune. The car now is the GTO I was hoping for when I bought the car. More mods to follow. Good luck.

Last time at the track with Corsa/K&N and same tune 13.55 @ 104

·
Dad's Yellow Goat
632 Posts
As previously stated the car needs to be tuned so the enging puts out full power at WOT and then you will need to make the car work better. But before I started any mods on the engine in my car I was running 12.7/105 so there is a lot of potential in that tune. Then you will have traction issues but that will be on another thread. Good luck!

·
oog
6,160 Posts
Where is the track located and what was the weather like? I raced at Tri-State Raceway in Earlville Iowa(alt.850ft.)this afternoon.It was mid 70s and humid,it was raining all morning.My 04 A4 is stock(and untuned) except for Kook headers with cats and stock cat back,K&N cai,drag bags and Nitto 275s.I ran a 60ft. of 1.96 and an ET [email protected] only thing I do is let it cool off for atleast a half an hour(the longer the better),ice down the cai,tb,and intake about 15 minutes before I run.I put 45lbs of air pressure in the front tires,drop the rears down to 25lbs(with stock tires).Don't leave the engine running the whole time you are in the staging lanes.Before you do your burn out turn the T/C off.I stage shallow and leave on the last amber.How you leave depends on your track prep and trans (A4 or M6?)Keep trying you will get the hang of it.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I ran a best of 13.7 @ 103. My 60's sucked, and my launch out of the hole were slow. Only power mods are LT's, catback, and a 78mm throttle body. Running on a really bad tune, and was my first time at the track.

·
Non Denominational Car Nut
2,347 Posts
I ran [email protected] with a 2.0 60ft bone stock,
couple weeks after I bought it,
no mods at all in 90deg weather with 85%
humidity at Moroso in south florida.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GTslO

Thanks for the replies.
I will post this in the Drag Racing Forum.
My GTO just seems like it's not making power.When it leaves the line it doesnt want to set you back in the seat. WEAK! No, the traction control was not on during my runs, and it still will not even make enough power to break the tires loose. I did make 1 run with the traction control on, the car did not feel any different or slow up any. The transmission feels like a slush box! I've tried pulling it into 1st and make my shifts manually , I even left it in 4th and let it shift when it wants, it doesnt make any difference. On launch I have tried to put a little stall against the converter, still would not spin. DEAD HOOK! so, I tried to stab it from idle and shock the tires and still DEAD HOOK!
As far as weather conditions, cool 60s degree with mild humidity. Both times I have taken the GTO to the track ,the car makes its best runs after making a 45 min trip to the track and pulling straight to the staging lanes.HOT. When I let it sit and cool. The car slows down even more.
My car weighed 3940 lbs with me in it and 1/4 tank of gas. Thanks guys!

·
10 Second N/A Club
5,542 Posts
bowtiess said:
Thanks for the replies.
I will post this in the Drag Racing Forum.
My GTO just seems like it's not making power.When it leaves the line it doesnt want to set you back in the seat. WEAK! No, the traction control was not on during my runs, and it still will not even make enough power to break the tires loose. I did make 1 run with the traction control on, the car did not feel any different or slow up any. The transmission feels like a slush box! I've tried pulling it into 1st and make my shifts manually , I even left it in 4th and let it shift when it wants, it doesnt make any difference. On launch I have tried to put a little stall against the converter, still would not spin. DEAD HOOK! so, I tried to stab it from idle and shock the tires and still DEAD HOOK!
As far as weather conditions, cool 60s degree with mild humidity. Both times I have taken the GTO to the track ,the car makes its best runs after making a 45 min trip to the track and pulling straight to the staging lanes.HOT. When I let it sit and cool. The car slows down even more.
My car weighed 3940 lbs with me in it and 1/4 tank of gas. Thanks guys!
You really need to get more passes on the car to make a full assesment running 6 or 8 runs is not enough... I would start by getting you traction contrll button checked it may be saying that it off,but if you can't break the tires lose something is not right there. I had a 97 STS Seville 300hp and had a similar issue. Some how it was reversed when the T/C WAS off it was on..WTF!! Another I would do is run a full scan on your car and take one thing at a time ...You will get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
1. Track location?
2. Trap speed?
3. 60' time?

We need these questions answered to figure out if your car is making power or not. Trap speed is the best indicator of hp.

About the traction control thing. I know plenty of guys that run in the 13s with the traction control on. So I don't see that as the problem. If your trap speed is low, you have a tuning issue.

My 94 Z28 started running bad (felt weak) and I took it to the track and it couldn't do any better than low 15s in the 1/4 mile. I found out it had a few different problems that needed to be addressed. So you may need to put the car in the shop and have it checked out.

So, what were your trap speeds?

·
10 Second N/A Club
5,542 Posts
BLACK05GTO said:
1. Track location?
2. Trap speed?
3. 60' time?

We need these questions answered to figure out if your car is making power or not. Trap speed is the best indicator of hp.

About the traction control thing. I know plenty of guys that run in the 13s with the traction control on. So I don't see that as the problem. If your trap speed is low, you have a tuning issue.

My 94 Z28 started running bad (felt weak) and I took it to the track and it couldn't do any better than low 15s in the 1/4 mile. I found out it had a few different problems that needed to be addressed. So you may need to put the car in the shop and have it checked out.

So, what were your trap speeds?

That is pretty funny because I don't know 1 person that runs with the traction control on at the track! If you want to run slower leave it on When at the track...Come on

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
JETNITRO said:
That is pretty funny because I don't know 1 person that runs with the traction control on at the track! If you want to run slower leave it on When at the track...Come on

If you know how to drive you will definately run faster with the traction control off.
But
My first run down the track in my stock 05 GTO with the traction control on was 13.7 @ 105 mph. With it off I ran considerably slower. But that was because I had no idea how to launch the car without bad wheel hop. With the traction contro on, I could get off the line without bad wheel hop and I ran much better times. This was also my first time to the track in my M6.

I've talked to several GTO owners that have run very fast times - low to mid 13s with the traction control on. It's pretty common knowledge that many members of this forum have run fast times with the traction control on (many times by mistake). Most were suprised by how fast they ran when they accidently left it on.

But if your an average to good driver, you will definately run faster with it turned off. But for many beginners, they run faster with it on.

Here's just one thread where some very knowledgeable GTO owners give advice on using the traction control when learning.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102642&highlight=times+traction+control

·
10 Second N/A Club
5,542 Posts
BLACK05GTO said:
If you know how to drive you will definately run faster with the traction control off.
But
My first run down the track in my stock 05 GTO with the traction control on was 13.7 @ 105 mph. With it off I ran considerably slower. But that was because I had no idea how to launch the car without bad wheel hop. With the traction contro on, I could get off the line without bad wheel hop and I ran much better times. This was also my first time to the track in my M6.

I've talked to several GTO owners that have run very fast times - low to mid 13s with the traction control on. It's pretty common knowledge that many members of this forum have run fast times with the traction control on (many times by mistake). Most were suprised by how fast they ran when they accidently left it on.

But if your an average to good driver, you will definitely run faster with it turned off. But for many beginners, they run faster with it on.

Here's just one thread where some very knowledgeable GTO owners give advice on using the traction control when learning.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102642&highlight=times+traction+control
Try listening to me here okay...Learn the right way turn it off all the time!! Then practice different technique's example feather out of the hole then gradually mash it ...# 2 Get the tires sticky and lower the pressure in the rear increase pressure in the fronts Will net you overall better times and better reaction times with raising pressure in the fronts.:turbonaug Pay attention to your 60ft times that will let you know on your improvement. the lower the 60ft the better et you will run. Leaving the T/C on isn't gonna HELP I think I have had enough practice at this to speak not out of line here...

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
JETNITRO said:
Try listening to me here okay...Learn the right way turn it off all the time!! Then practice different technique's example feather out of the hole then gradually mash it ...# 2 Get the tires sticky and lower the pressure in the rear increase pressure in the fronts Will net you overall better times and better reaction times with raising pressure in the fronts.:turbonaug Pay attention to your 60ft times that will let you know on your improvement. the lower the 60ft the better et you will run. Leaving the T/C on isn't gonna HELP I think I have had enough practice at this to speak not out of line here...

I definately understand what your saying. The training wheels need to come off at some point.

But someone mentioned that leaving the traction control on could be why he's running such slow times (15s in the 1/4 mile). I really didn't agree with that. That's why I mentioned guys being able to run fast times with the traction control on, and it actually helping some new drivers pull faster times (not making them run 15s).

I would point to his car being out of tune.

·
Dad's Yellow Goat
632 Posts
Here we Go!

JETNITRO said:
Bowtiess, I have one bit of advice for you if Jetnitro is talking listen. He is without a doubt one of the top bracket racers on this forum...I know because he has beaten me more then once and we are talking thousandths of a second. You do everything right and he still beats you!

If for no other reason just look a the pictures in both our signatures....these cars have no problem lighting up the tires if you are not able to get them to spin something is wrong with power management. Once you have them spinning uncontrollably then you will learn to control it. Zero spin is not your friend.

·
10 Second N/A Club
5,542 Posts
BLACK05GTO said:
I definately understand what your saying. The training wheels need to come off at some point.

But someone mentioned that leaving the traction control on could be why he's running such slow times (15s in the 1/4 mile). I really didn't agree with that. That's why I mentioned guys being able to run fast times with the traction control on, and it actually helping some new drivers pull faster times (not making them run 15s).

I would point to his car being out of tune.
But someone mentioned that leaving the traction control on could be why he's running such slow times (15s in the 1/4 mile). I really didn't agree with that.

Sorry but I dissagree with you on this issue I know atleats 50 of us that run at the track and no one has run better times at any piont with the t/c on .Unless of course they were spinning 1/2 way down the 1/4 Mile::gr_jest: :-off the

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
JETNITRO said:
But someone mentioned that leaving the traction control on could be why he's running such slow times (15s in the 1/4 mile). I really didn't agree with that.

Sorry but I dissagree with you on this issue I know atleats 50 of us that run at the track and no one has run better times at any piont with the t/c on .Unless of course they were spinning 1/2 way down the 1/4 Mile::gr_jest: :-off the
...hey!!!! I resemble that remark...I did smoke my tires 1/2 way down the track last Monday at Norwalk. Of course my T/C was off....as it always is. :)

If your leaving the T/C on to "learn" how to launch then your plain and simple NOT learning how to launch!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts