LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
18's are right on the edge of acceptability on some roads. On really crappy pavement, I wish I had the 17's, on decent roads the 18's are sweet. Moreover, the suspension was designed for 18's.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Silver Ecstasy said:
What's the actual bolt pattern of the GTO wheels? Or should I say--what will fit?
5x120, stock is 17x8s with +48mm offset (the PLUS matters, people, and I see a lot of people that never note that).

What fits is...well...Uncertain. There are BOATLOAD of threads on this. Search. Try "offsets" and "wheel results" for starters.

Oh, and DAMN your signature pic is huge.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Silver Ecstasy said:
Hehe, sorry I guess? Its a pretty nice design though you gotta admit, i'm pretty proud of it.

5x120..I don't think thats very common huh..i'll do some searching, thanks much!
You might try saying what sort of car it is in that pic, took me a bit to figure that out :)

5x120 is pretty uncommon - it's used on BMWs and some other foreign vehicles but I've never seen a set with the right hub size for the GTO so you need hub rings (which is no problem, really).

I think my ideal wheels would be a set of 19" M3 wheels (x8F, x9R), but the fronts don't come in the right offset (OE offset for M3's 19" seems to be 51mm (for the rear, only like 21 in the front) and the ROH Stradas that are popular with some people on this board are also 51mm in the rear so I know that'd fit).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Few guys running 20's over here - purely for looks I'm sure as ride quality would be...well... :barf:

And there is a show Ute (ie el camino style) with 22's on rear and 20's front. Might have minitubs?

·
Registered
924 Posts
phobos512 said:
You might try saying what sort of car it is in that pic, took me a bit to figure that out :)

5x120 is pretty uncommon - it's used on BMWs and some other foreign vehicles but I've never seen a set with the right hub size for the GTO so you need hub rings (which is no problem, really).

I think my ideal wheels would be a set of 19" M3 wheels (x8F, x9R), but the fronts don't come in the right offset (OE offset for M3's 19" seems to be 51mm (for the rear, only like 21 in the front) and the ROH Stradas that are popular with some people on this board are also 51mm in the rear so I know that'd fit).
Wonderful, Grand Am's are a Pita to find wheels for. Go figure with the GTO :) I hear ya on the sig picture. That means you gotta click the link to find out more info! Its a teaser! :gr_jest:

·
Grumpy Old Man
393 Posts
phobos512 said:
N-Body or gagt in the sig pic should have given a clue ;)

Mike, you don't even know if you are getting the car yet, stop worrying about wheels!!! :eek2:

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
AMRAAM4 said:

Mike, you don't even know if you are getting the car yet, stop worrying about wheels!!! :eek2:
Actually as this is my first Pontiac (or GM, for that matter), N-Body (and F-body and whatever else -Body) doesn't mean a damn thing to me :)

GAGT is how I did figure it out.

·
Registered
924 Posts
AMRAAM4 said:

Gotta do all my research! I'm not buying the car, then finding out later it has shit for wheel aftermarket like I did with the GAGT. Say no to AE 077's! lol

·
Grumpy Old Man
393 Posts
Silver Ecstasy said:
Gotta do all my research! I'm not buying the car, then finding out later it has shit for wheel aftermarket like I did with the GAGT. Say no to AE 077's! lol
I'm trying to find a way to keep the 077's alive!! My currents don't fit, but they come in the needed bolt pattern however the +38 offset seems too much for the rear wheelwells.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Silver Ecstasy said:
You'd not buy a car that doesn't have a good selection of aftermarket wheels? Um...wheels are the last thing I worry about...Worry about what's under the hood dude :) Plenty of aftermarket to go around in that department.

·
Registered
163 Posts
phobos512 said:
You'd not buy a car that doesn't have a good selection of aftermarket wheels? Um...wheels are the last thing I worry about...Worry about what's under the hood dude :) Plenty of aftermarket to go around in that department.
Bah.... that Show vs Go arguement only holds true for those cars that don't come with the "factory Go". I think the stock GTO has enough ooomph to smoke most of the competition you go up against, but the handling still leaves much to be desired. A step up with new rims, better brakes, and some suspension tweaks will do more for this car from a fun factor standpoint and then dig into the 'More Go' aspect once that's done. Rims are the most important way to personalize a vehicle from an appearance standpoint. Everyone has their own priorities, so don't flame a guy just because his are different. :punch:

·
Registered
924 Posts
goatee said:
Bah.... that Show vs Go arguement only holds true for those cars that don't come with the "factory Go". I think the stock GTO has enough ooomph to smoke most of the competition you go up against, but the handling still leaves much to be desired. A step up with new rims, better brakes, and some suspension tweaks will do more for this car from a fun factor standpoint and then dig into the 'More Go' aspect once that's done. Rims are the most important way to personalize a vehicle from an appearance standpoint. Everyone has their own priorities, so don't flame a guy just because his are different. :punch:
Hehe, thanks. Its all good, i'm not too worried about it.

Phobos- My Grand Am has 0 aftermarket (exaggerated, but still...slim to no aftermarket availability) with a VERY hard to find rim bolt pattern (5x115...can you even count how many companies offer that on five fingers?) Fact is, my next car is NOT supposed to be modded for my sake of money and my sake of having to deal with the problems of it later. BUT, I can almost guarantee a year later hopefully, that I will be interested in enhancing the car's look to some extent. I've already considered how I could paint the blackness of the headlights to match the color of the car, along with the section by the foglights. Theres little things done to my car that makes it stand out from the rest. I'm really not worried about what's under the hood of the GTO. Its got a Corvette engine, with 350 hp. My car's got 202 hp at the crank (163.4 wheel horsepower). Big difference, its enough to plaster a grin on my face for a long time.

I'd rather not look like every other GTO, i'll eventually have to do SOMETHING to the car to make it personalized. Its just a ***** shopping for a car that has 0 aftermarket, like the Grand Am. Everything that does fit, is either super expensive, or everyone already has it. Like HID's...not like the JDM market. $500 for just a Ballast conversion, no projectors.

·
Torque is King!
702 Posts
I do not know if this has been covered or not. But for 18in tire size the Monaros' are coming with 235/40/18's. Just check the Holden website. This is also stated in the GTO manual if you have read it, as the optional summer tire. Does anybody know why they are using 235's?? I think most people would be inclined to go with 245's if they upgrade to the 18in rims and tires. I know I would. I guess the reason being that we get 17in rubber is because our American roads are not on par with the Australians. I have spent 6 months in the country, their roads are excellent. But the car really deserves 18in for appearance purposes. 17in are just not cool.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Wasn't the 235 series tires originally a typo that Pontiac later amended when they put the 245's on the car due to outcry over such a small tire on such a potent car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts