LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
When I update the OS would i have to buy 2 more credits with hp tuner?
I think I did. Been so long now I don't recall. I believe it "sees" it as a whole new car based on the info contained in the OS. Same as if your ECU fried and you had to replace it.

Sucks I guess, but it's a small expense in the long run.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
440 Posts
I know this thread is fairly old, but I've been thinking about what it would take to make my 06 GTO run on ethanol, and really liked the way you used an original GM sensor that is pretty cheap and wired it in yourself.

Another thing I'm wondering though, with my engine being stock aside from intake and exhaust, are the stock injectors, fuel pump, etc. compatible with ethanol, and would it make sense or have any benefit to do this to a an otherwise stock engine? I know that the higher octane of ethanol potentially allows more spark advance which can gain some power and then there is an in cylinder cooling affect compared to gasoline which potentially allows a bit higher density air in the combustion chamber, but does this amount to noticeable or worthwhile gains on an LS2? I'm not sure if the LS2 is knock limited in stock form to be able to gain from any spark advance with ethanol.

·
baaaad 2 the bone
2,170 Posts
I know this thread is fairly old, but I've been thinking about what it would take to make my 06 GTO run on ethanol, and really liked the way you used an original GM sensor that is pretty cheap and wired it in yourself.

Another thing I'm wondering though, with my engine being stock aside from intake and exhaust, are the stock injectors, fuel pump, etc. compatible with ethanol, and would it make sense or have any benefit to do this to a an otherwise stock engine? I know that the higher octane of ethanol potentially allows more spark advance which can gain some power and then there is an in cylinder cooling affect compared to gasoline which potentially allows a bit higher density air in the combustion chamber, but does this amount to noticeable or worthwhile gains on an LS2? I'm not sure if the LS2 is knock limited in stock form to be able to gain from any spark advance with ethanol.
Not worth it on N/A. Ethanol requires 30% more fuel volume which means bigger pump, injectors and other supporting mods with a tune.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Not worth it on N/A. Ethanol requires 30% more fuel volume which means bigger pump, injectors and other supporting mods with a tune.
Factory injectors work fine if you haven't gone to a turbo or blower yet, and the stock FP will handle E-85 up to about 450whp.
You will definitely need a tune, but I made 30 more hp on E-85 than on 92. No cam, blower, headers etc.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Factory injectors work fine if you haven't gone to a turbo or blower yet, and the stock FP will handle E-85 up to about 450whp.
You will definitely need a tune, but I made 30 more hp on E-85 than on 92. No cam, blower, headers etc.
If you're running stock injectors to 450whp on e85 then those injectors are going static.

I highly doubt the car picked up 30whp NA unless its a stroked high compression (12.5) build.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
If you're running stock injectors to 450whp on e85 then those injectors are going static.

I highly doubt the car picked up 30whp NA unless its a stroked high compression (12.5) build.
Was a factory stock 06. Had it tuned when I went flex fuel and went from 356 at the tires to 386 on E-85.
And 450 hp on E-85 isn't going to make the stock injectors go static. Plain old 93 you can do 550 or so on the stockers without going static.

·
Worthless reject member
43,924 Posts

I've ran stock fuel pumps on E85, they are fine.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
440 Posts
Great, I had just about gotten that out of my mind, and there you go guys re-igniting it again. I had a guy at work bring it up to me why I don't make it run on ethanol because he had big gains on an otherwise stock Jeep Wrangler, but I wasn't sure if there would be anything to gain on a stock LS2.
Was a factory stock 06. Had it tuned when I went flex fuel and went from 356 at the tires to 386 on E-85.
And 450 hp on E-85 isn't going to make the stock injectors go static. Plain old 93 you can do 550 or so on the stockers without going static.
^ That is some very good motivation to look into it though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
100% will go static, you are never going to make 550whp on a 33lb injectors safely. A cam only cam is going to have the injectors about safely maxed out (80% DC).

A stock ls2 vs a tuned on premium LS2 is going to nearly pick up those numbers, the e85 had little if anything to do with it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Great, I had just about gotten that out of my mind, and there you go guys re-igniting it again. I had a guy at work bring it up to me why I don't make it run on ethanol because he had big gains on an otherwise stock Jeep Wrangler, but I wasn't sure if there would be anything to gain on a stock LS2.

^ That is some very good motivation to look into it though.
Livernoise is the one who claims a 50fwhp gain via e85 but they are also taking into account the stock tune compared to a fully tuned vehicle. I bet damn near the same gains could be had with a good tune on 93 if that's the case.

Dude above is doing the same thing it seems, I bet his car would have had nearly identical gains on 93 as it did on e85. His comparison means nothing when you are comparing a safe factory tune to a custom tune to maximize the setup.

·
baaaad 2 the bone
2,170 Posts
So? Its common sense. The stock components were not designed to support e85. Aside from not producing the volume, they don't have anodized coatings or alcohol compatible seals. Anyone running a stock fuel system with ethanol is taking an unnecessary risk for potential issues down the road.

·
Worthless reject member
43,924 Posts
So? Its common sense. The stock components were not designed to support e85. Aside from not producing the volume, they don't have anodized coatings or alcohol compatible seals. Anyone running a stock fuel system with ethanol is taking an unnecessary risk for potential issues down the road.
The factory fuel orings are ethanol compatible. I haven't had any corossion issues due to e85 in the 7 or so years that i've been running it.

You need to make sure you don't get water in your fuel. Stick with quality E85 and make sure your fuel system is sealed, and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
100% will go static, you are never going to make 550whp on a 33lb injectors safely. A cam only cam is going to have the injectors about safely maxed out (80% DC).

A stock ls2 vs a tuned on premium LS2 is going to nearly pick up those numbers, the e85 had little if anything to do with it.
Who's ass did you pull the 550hp from? Re-read my post. I said 450

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
They have been running 10% ethanol in fuel since the mid-late 90's when MTBE was banned. Manufacturers have been using ethanol safe components since then.

·
Administrator
20,602 Posts
Livernoise is the one who claims a 50fwhp gain via e85 but they are also taking into account the stock tune compared to a fully tuned vehicle. I bet damn near the same gains could be had with a good tune on 93 if that's the case.
Exactly. You wont get 50hp from just E85 unless you are running healthy boost levels.

·
Worthless reject member
43,924 Posts
Exactly. You wont get 50hp from just E85 unless you are running healthy boost levels.
true, but naturally aspirated direct injection engines get a healthy kick from e85. newer mustangs and LT1 camaros get a nice gain from switching. i forget the typical gains, but they are like 20-30hp iirc.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
93, not E-85.
plenty of people are, and they are close to the limits, but not "static".
if your just looking to start a fight so you can get off on it, go elsewhere or kick your dog

You said it....said you can do 550 on stockers on 93 View attachment 506602

21 - 40 of 44 Posts