LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

2006 GTO and I need to replace slave cylinder.

I am going to put new clutch,pressure plate,flywheel,pilot bearing and rear engine seal while it is down.

I see there is a updated seal for the car. Will the
J 41479 Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal Installer be the proper tool for the new seal.

Will it be better off to order a rear cover with the seal installed?

I cannot seem to locate a GM cover.

·
GR-RRR!
8,523 Posts
You will get comments on both sides concerning the rear main seal, some that say just replace the seal and some that say replace the whole rear cover. Either will work fine if you do it right. For me, replacing just the seal seems the safer way to go, again, as long as you do it right.

Most of the quality seals come with a little collar that helps you install the seal without messing up the sealing lip. I know the Timkin seal I bought came with one. Special installer tools typically exist for a reason though so if you have access to the tool you mentioned, it will make the job easier and more likely to succeed.

I see one version of the rear cover with the seal installed available on Rock Auto as a brand of Apex. I know nothing about that brand, no idea if it is good or not. There are also lots of them on ebay from various brands, again, no idea if they are good or not. Summit has Dorman in stock and an AC Delco that can be ordered.

·
Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
2,438 Posts
I replaced the cover and seal when I put a new transmission in my 2004 Yukon. I bought the Dorman kit and install was straightforward. Follow the tightening and torque sequence of the bolts, especially the 2 oil pan to cover bolts and you will be fine.

I was under the Yukon last weekend checking on something and the oil pan region is bone dry after 3 months and over 2000 miles of use since the repairs. Make sure you clean the snot out of everything well and use the RTV exactly how the instructions tell you to. I also let mine set up and cure overnight before putting the flywheel back on and popping the transmission in.

Reactions: toolman60
1 - 4 of 4 Posts