LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

My name is Marc-Antony.
As the title states, I have a 2006 Pontiac GTO.
The problem started one day while I was driving and my car wouldn't shift out of any gear.
After testing it came down to the Slave Cylinder not working anymore.
So I decided to order a Tick Master Cylinder with speed bleeder, and a stage 2 clutch kit from Monster Clutch.
The kit came with its Slave Cylinder, pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch plate and pressure plate and needed flywheel and pressure plate bolts.

Because I'm not a mechanic but a car guy, I didn't have all the handy dandy tools needed to perform every little job as was needed.
Like say a pilot bearing puller tool.
So the internet gave me the solution of the bread technique with the use of a hammer, electrical tape and big enough bolt.
Well through all the banging to get the pilot bearing out I managed to dislodge the water jet in the crankshaft.
Without me realizing I kept pushing bread inside and this as you might already know managed to find its way inside the oil pan.:cry:

Now my good people, I have managed to get the pilot bearing out with a hammer and sharp object. :cool:
Managed to take out the dis formed water jet, and put in a new one. And also push a new pilot bearing inside.

The real problem comes now.
I want to know who has found themselves in this type of predicament or who has any advice for me.
These are the scenarios I'm contemplating:
1- Leave the bread with the hope that when i put everything together and start her up, the bread will breakdown and filter to the oil filter and that will be the end of it.
2- Maybe scenario one will end up blocking the oil passages depriving my engine of the much needed oil and you guessed it, boom goes my engine.
3- Dropping the oil pan by taking the cross member of but I read that an alignment tool is needed when putting this back together (not fun seeing as I live on a island that has about 5 of these cars on it).
4- Using one of those harbor freight engine support bars to hold the engine high enough while jacking it from underneath and then loosening the oil pan to get the bread out.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Can't have your bread and eat it too!
Might be cake, for the saying.

I found this link from the past for you and since a recent cheapo oil change guy might have smurfed my drain plug threads..Got me curious.

Here is link going back to 2006, lemme know if it works. I need to gather my strength before I go under my car to look what the oil troll smurfed.

:geek:

Reactions: dre0396

·
Registered
247 Posts
I forgot, before starting front cradle removal:

1. Mark many reference points to align back to when putting cradle back in ( more is better than less ).

2. Create cross reference points also.

Good news - now you have made a template,,,Bad news - most GTO's were NOT aligned correctly when made.

I think bolts are TTY and should not be used again.

Buy a thread chaser to clean out threads in holes

Before you reinstall oil pan Think about mods (here's one)
1. Drill and tap hole on side of oil pan, close to bottom, great location for Oil Temp Sensor sending unit

Here is link to everything 04-06 GTO

Goto Google and type in: 06 gto alignment specs

Best of luck and enjoy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Can't have your bread and eat it too!
Might be cake, for the saying.

I found this link from the past for you and since a recent cheapo oil change guy might have smurfed my drain plug threads..Got me curious.

Here is link going back to 2006, lemme know if it works. I need to gather my strength before I go under my car to look what the oil troll smurfed.

:geek:
Thanks for the help BigBoysToy.
I appreciate you taking the time to lookup the thread on taking the crossmember off.
But its the problem of realigning the crossmember with the special tool thats going to be an issue.
I’m sitting right now with the plan of using a engine hoist to lift it high enough to get the pan loose.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes, Front cradle jig is rare and hard to find, I have read (like I said above) that some members have marked current position and used measurements to come close. What ever Island you are on, if they have GM dealership, they should have one (might not wanna use it). They will charge arm and leg also. Here is pic of both jigs (front and rear).

·
Worthless reject member
46,561 Posts
FWIW, IMHO the easiest way to do this would be to pull the engine, put it on a stand, remove the pan, turn the engine to clean the crap out.

The pan is baffled, so if any bread got in there, have fun getting it out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, how many slices of bread did you use and how much of it got in there?
Lets just say half a loaf of bread was used.
From what I could see, and what I showed in the video, its very visible and can easily be cleaned when the oil pan comes off.
I didn't crank the engine over or nothing, so the bread is laying on top.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Car guys" can rent tools. Save the bread for pigeons.
HAHAHA.
Well buddy, on this Island we don't have the kind of stores where you rent stuff like that.
Either you buy it and get it shipped over or you take the whole car to the mechanic and let them wack you with a stupid price tag.
I decided to invest in myself seeing that I will be working on the car in the future and also keeping the car for years to come.
So I better get used to doing things myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot, before starting front cradle removal:

1. Mark many reference points to align back to when putting cradle back in ( more is better than less ).

2. Create cross reference points also.

Good news - now you have made a template,,,Bad news - most GTO's were NOT aligned correctly when made.

I think bolts are TTY and should not be used again.

Buy a thread chaser to clean out threads in holes

Before you reinstall oil pan Think about mods (here's one)
1. Drill and tap hole on side of oil pan, close to bottom, great location for Oil Temp Sensor sending unit

Here is link to everything 04-06 GTO

Goto Google and type in: 06 gto alignment specs

Best of luck and enjoy
Thanks again BigBoysToy for the advice.
I managed to borrow a engine hoist.
I saw that there aren't a lot of wire and hoses that need to be disconnected for the engine to be hoisted.
So I plan on lifting just enough to get the oil pan out.
This will be easier seeing that the gearbox is off the engine.

There is a dealership over here, but they have never imported one of these cars.
And I really don't like dealerships.
I hear horror stories.
I prefer to that I be the one that screws things up if you get what I'm saying.
And I pay a lot of attention to details, so I will be far more vigilant next time i perform something on the car.

Seeing that you are very helpful I might consult next time with you before doing something if you don't mind.

·
1 of 40,757
6,594 Posts
Lets just say half a loaf of bread was used.
From what I could see, and what I showed in the video, its very visible and can easily be cleaned when the oil pan comes off.
I didn't crank the engine over or nothing, so the bread is laying on top.
If i had to do it I'd hang the engine between strut towers on a board and lower the cradle that way.
Brings back memories of replacing the oil pump on my POS chevy colorado, in the driveway, in the snow...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks again BigBoysToy for the advice.
I managed to borrow a engine hoist.
I saw that there aren't a lot of wire and hoses that need to be disconnected for the engine to be hoisted.
So I plan on lifting just enough to get the oil pan out.
This will be easier seeing that the gearbox is off the engine.

There is a dealership over here, but they have never imported one of these cars.
And I really don't like dealerships.
I hear horror stories.
I prefer to that I be the one that screws things up if you get what I'm saying.
And I pay a lot of attention to details, so I will be far more vigilant next time i perform something on the car.

Seeing that you are very helpful I might consult next time with you before doing something if you don't mind.
NP:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I saw in another thread (How to: Oil pan/gasket swap) on ls1tech.com that they changed the oil pickup tube O-ring seal.
My question is this, will the oil pickup tube be in the way of getting the oil pan off?
If so I can understand why they changed the seal, but if not why bother?
I'm asking since I would like to have every part available at the moment I need them and not be the guy that has to wait 2 weeks to get a part in to continue.

·
Worthless reject member
46,561 Posts
it will difficult with the engine in the car, i would imagine. it will probably get caught on the baffling. you should be able to clear it with the engine out of the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts