LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having a occasional problem with it starting...sometimes I get in and turn the key and it starts for approximately 3 seconds and then turns off. Then I turn the key again few times and won’t turn over at all. But I found that if I push the unlock button on the key then it starts up correctly. I took it to the dealership and they said it was the computer and repaired it but that did not fix it. Any ideas? Thanks

·
GR-RRR!
5,640 Posts
Does the fob lock and unlock the car remotely? If not, you need to either replace the fob or put a new battery in it.

Clean the metal nub on the fob that is next to the blade and then clean the metal ring around the outside of the ignition lock, make sure the nub and the ring make good contact while you are turning the key.

·
Worthless reject member
40,355 Posts
Does the fob lock and unlock the car remotely? If not, you need to either replace the fob or put a new battery in it.

Clean the metal nub on the fob that is next to the blade and then clean the metal ring around the outside of the ignition lock, make sure the nub and the ring make good contact while you are turning the key.
yup, being able to lock/unlock and then start the car is a dead giveaway. the BCM isn't reading the fob when it's in the ignition.

that nub on the fob can wear down eventually, might just be time for a new fob.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's definitely a theft system is

yup, being able to lock/unlock and then start the car is a dead giveaway. the BCM isn't reading the fob when it's in the ignition.

that nub on the fob can wear down eventually, might just be time for a new fob.
Thanks, yes the fob locks and unlocks but I will clean the nub and ring and see what that does. If I need a new fob where would be the best place to get it?

·
GR-RRR!
5,640 Posts
Be aware, the fob programming process is VERY specific and you only have one shot at it so follow the directions to the letter. Timing is key, you can't do moves early or late. If you fail the programming process the fob is typically junk and you have to start over with another new fob.

Also, be aware, you CANNOT program a used fob to your car. Ebay sellers often sell used fobs and make the statement that they can be reprogrammed to another car. THIS IS NOT TRUE!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm having the same issue, my key is fairly new. The key and ring are clean but one extra thing i noticed on mine is that it does the exact same thing mentioned by OP but ONLY if i take to long to attempt to start the car after unlocking, let's say 20 seconds or so. Might this issue point to anything else? Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts