LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Good question since it will no longer be in production next year.

·
Hold on, we're goin for broke
1,499 Posts
I hope they use the GTO-R again it/and the drivers did a damn good job this year. I checked the web site and no updated scuedule yet.

·
O-H-I-O
746 Posts
gm4life said:
I hope they use the GTO-R again it/and the drivers did a damn good job this year. I checked the web site and no updated scuedule yet.
To answer your question about the schedule for next year (2007), email TRG.

As far as the GTO.R goes, I asked the guys over at the Rolex Grand Am Headquarters that same question about: longevity of certain makes. The officials at Rolex said, that their rule for makes is about the same as NASCAR, "The teams can field a 2006 model year vehicle for three years after production has ceased". They also informed me that, in certain circumstances they can even alter that rule to help the teams out, by extending the time use beyond three years. I passed this info along to the guys over at TRG (Kevin Buckler) and he said he would pass along the info to his staff.

The other option as far as cars out there for TRG to use may be the new Camaro. I passed this suggestion along incase GM continued to drag their feet (as we all know GM has a tendency to do). Next year, a team or two may field a Mustang. TRG should be ready, any team that wins a championship in a heavier car (which at times was handicapped with the officials adding weight) will be ready.
Look at it this way, at least TRG will be staying in the GM family if they go with a Camaro, they are just changing sheet metal is all. The GTO has always been a larger car anyway.
Let's just hope GM doesn't drag their feet, it will be nice to contiue seeing GTO's winning championships.:gears:

·
Hold on, we're goin for broke
1,499 Posts
QuickSilverTiger said:
To answer your question about the schedule for next year (2007), email TRG.

As far as the GTO.R goes, I asked the guys over at the Rolex Grand Am Headquarters that same question about: longevity of certain makes. The officials at Rolex said, that their rule for makes is about the same as NASCAR, "The teams can field a 2006 model year vehicle for three years after production has ceased". They also informed me that, in certain circumstances they can even alter that rule to help the teams out, by extending the time use beyond three years. I passed this info along to the guys over at TRG (Kevin Buckler) and he said he would pass along the info to his staff.

The other option as far as cars out there for TRG to use may be the new Camaro. I passed this suggestion along incase GM continued to drag their feet (as we all know GM has a tendency to do). Next year, a team or two may field a Mustang. TRG should be ready, any team that wins a championship in a heavier car (which at times was handicapped with the officials adding weight) will be ready.
Look at it this way, at least TRG will be staying in the GM family if they go with a Camaro, they are just changing sheet metal is all. The GTO has always been a larger car anyway.
Let's just hope GM doesn't drag their feet, it will be nice to contiue seeing GTO's winning championships.:gears:
Good info, Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The schedule is being released gradually by each venue as they agree on the dates. The event will be run at Watkins Glen on June 8-10. However, I don't know anything about the GTO.R. Pontiac provides so much support for the Rolex series, it would be surprising to see that pulled. A good number of the DP cars are powered by Pontiac.

·
O-H-I-O
746 Posts
Longtaddy said:
The schedule is being released gradually by each venue as they agree on the dates. The event will be run at Watkins Glen on June 8-10. However, I don't know anything about the GTO.R. Pontiac provides so much support for the Rolex series, it would be surprising to see that pulled. A good number of the DP cars are powered by Pontiac.
Pontiac/GM can still provide powerplants for the DP's, so Pontiac can still have a presence.

As far as GT goes, there should be Vette's running. They will need support, and who knows...there could be a chance for the Vette's to really flourish.

Pacific may still field a GTO, last season when Boris Said drove, the GTO.R came in 3rd place for a race.

The Rolex is getting bigger, in the first few season there were only a couple of DP engine backers, Pontiac and Lexus. Now there are those two, plus Ford, BMW, and Porsche. The series is becoming very successful, reaching a broad range of fans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.