LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
9,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting start to the year so far.

Saw Danny Farquhar had a brain hemorrhage in the 6th inning last night... thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

·
Goat sold
844 Posts
He's still stable now after surgery, but isn't out of the woods yet. Pretty scary shit.

A few surprising teams early on. The Pirates are falling back down to Earth, but the Mets and Phillies keep winning. The AL seems to be going as expected, but the Angels may be a wildcard team. Still way too early to tell.

Not too worried about the Cubs. They have had some shit weather to deal with and I'm hoping that's why the starting pitching has been brutal. The bullpen has been a pleasant surprise though, I thought that was the main weakness of the team.

·
Thinkin' of a master plan
912 Posts
Interesting start to the year so far.

Saw Danny Farquhar had a brain hemorrhage in the 6th inning last night... thoughts and prayers to him and his family.
Indeed. Scary stuff. Saying he'll likely be in the hospital 3 more weeks.

He's still stable now after surgery, but isn't out of the woods yet. Pretty scary shit.

A few surprising teams early on. The Pirates are falling back down to Earth, but the Mets and Phillies keep winning. The AL seems to be going as expected, but the Angels may be a wildcard team. Still way too early to tell.

Not too worried about the Cubs. They have had some shit weather to deal with and I'm hoping that's why the starting pitching has been brutal. The bullpen has been a pleasant surprise though, I thought that was the main weakness of the team.
The Phils are nuts. Never thought they'd recover the Amaro Jr. days. Kingery's already a favorite of mine. They have so many young pieces (Crawford, Kingery, Hoskins, Cabrera, Franco, Nola).

Can't wait to see Carlos Gomez at the plate against the Twins the next time around.
Yeah, that celebration was waaaaay too much, especially for an April game on a team that's gonna end up sub .500 when it's all said and done.

That's the beauty of baseball, he'll get one in the hip pocket and he knows it's coming. :rofl:

·
Duck and Cover
473 Posts
So, who's going to wind up with Machado? No reason for the Birds to wait until the trading DL. They're out of it already. 40 mil/yr? Any takers? He's the kind of ballplayer anyone would love to have, but not at his final asking price. Best bet: pick him up for a pennant run, and then let him go to the Yankees or Red Sox.

If Machado doesn't crack the 40 mil barrier. Francisco Lindor certainly will when his time comes.

·
Thinkin' of a master plan
912 Posts
So, who's going to wind up with Machado? No reason for the Birds to wait until the trading DL. They're out of it already. 40 mil/yr? Any takers? He's the kind of ballplayer anyone would love to have, but not at his final asking price. Best bet: pick him up for a pennant run, and then let him go to the Yankees or Red Sox.

If Machado doesn't crack the 40 mil barrier. Francisco Lindor certainly will when his time comes.
He wants to stay at short and he wants to be a Yankee.

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reported last week that the Chicago White Sox also could be a dark-horse contender. The Yankees, Indians, Philadelphia Phillies, Boston Red Sox, St. Louis Cardinals, Arizona Diamondbacks and Los Angeles Dodgers all engaged in Machado trade discussions with Baltimore during the offseason, according to Heyman’s story. The Chicago Cubs also may be involved on the periphery of conversations, too.
and here's a link ranking the odds of every team's chances from CBS Sports:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ranking-all-30-teams-chances-of-having-manny-machado-play-for-them-in-2018/

Personally, I'd like to see him end up in the NL east. Being a Braves fan, I'd either like to see him there or with the Phils. At least I'd get to see him play regularly.

·
Duck and Cover
473 Posts
He wants to stay at short and he wants to be a Yankee.

and here's a link ranking the odds of every team's chances from CBS Sports:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ranking-all-30-teams-chances-of-having-manny-machado-play-for-them-in-2018/

Personally, I'd like to see him end up in the NL east. Being a Braves fan, I'd either like to see him there or with the Phils. At least I'd get to see him play regularly.
He'd have to play 3rd base for the Indians, and that ain't going to happen. They've got Lindor for at least 3 more years[I think]. Baltimore's in a tough spot. They need to trade him so they end up with SOMETHING. Even a few prospects are better than him just playing out his contract. Orioles look like they're on the same train as the White Sox, Royals and Tigers. Free agency has made it tough for everybody but the Yankees and Red Sox, it seems.

It's still a great game, though, even at this point in history.

·
Administrator
9,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the O's are sucking worse than usual this year. :(
I am honestly surprised how badly they are doing.

Have they lost a lot of close games or just stinking it up across the board?

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
612 Posts
I am honestly surprised how badly they are doing.

Have they lost a lot of close games or just stinking it up across the board?
Just stink, mostly bad pitching. They can score several runs in a game, and still lose when the starters give up 10+ runs. :mad:

·
Administrator
9,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about the back to back starts from Romo this past weekend when Tampa played the Angels? I just read up on that. Interesting concept.

Meanwhile Betts and JD Martinez acting like the Bash Brothers (hopefully minus the steroids).

·
Duck and Cover
473 Posts
It's amazing how much cable TV has taken over our lives. It wasn't too long go that about only ten people knew that there was a baseball draft. Now they're trying to pump it up like the NFL draft.

On the other hand, we've got a nice HR derby going on this year.

·
Goat sold
844 Posts
The Mariners might be the luckiest baseball team ever. They are more games above .500 then they are positive in run differential.

·
Goat sold
844 Posts
Anybody see this Will Hader twitter stuff? Bunch of really racist tweets when he was 17. I do think very few people were not shitheads when they were 17, of course that wasn't that long ago for him. What really makes me scratch my head is the smurfing fans giving him a standing ovation on the field. Like what in the smurf? Its not like he raised money for cancer research or flood victims. He said, I'm sorry that I was a shitty ass teenager once. They might as well have given him sieg heils from the stands.

·
DW can't take a J... or a D
2,363 Posts
How's this thread only 18 19 posts deep?

Phils gonna win it all
:lol:

·
Goat sold
844 Posts
Not much going on that people didn't expect. Yankees, Red Sox, and Astros are the 3 best teams in baseball by a decent margin. The east will probably come down to the Cubs and Dodgers again. None of which really hold a candle to the AL teams. The Phils are surprising this year and so are the Braves, but I don't think they have enough to push it deep into a playoff run.

I would love to somehow get Degrom, but I think they'll want a Javy Baez or someone of that caliber. I just don't think the Cubs rotation is going to be enough. Yu Darvish is looking like a colossal mistake.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts