LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
LS1GTO Traitor
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HOLY GAS GUZZLER BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

It now appears the 21mpg highway is NOT a mistake. You can estimate the composite mpg with this formula:

(1/(.495/city MPG + .351/highway MPG))+.15

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml

You can look up the GTO on the www.fueleconomy.gov websiet and see that the 16/21 rating for the auto is correct if not a bit shocking. I guess the GTO really needs a 5speed auto.....

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Davbo,
How many more of these do I have left to go??!!??

I believe you however running the numbers it still doesn't add up. Using their published formula gives 21.13 but they say 21.5. Maybe they are rounding off the numbers?? In any event it is still weird how the formula gives a number greater than 21 MPG. I am certainly not arguing that the tax should be higher. I am arguing that the whole gas guzzler tax is stupid, wrong and inconsistent. BTW I can't get to the car information at that website this morning.

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Okay you win. My engineering genes are totally affronted however.

:laughbounce: :laughbounce: :laughbounce: :laughbounce:

·
LS1GTO Traitor
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, Tails. Think of the formula as operating at the molecular level - quantum mechanics. There's a good chance that 2+2=4 but it's not guaranteed!!

Actually, I should have cut and pasted a bigger piece of the gov webpage. They state that the formula is an estimate for the gas guzzler tax.

The website is down for me right now too, but as soon as it comes back up, just go check it all out at www.fueleconomy.gov

·
LS1GTO Traitor
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave,

The mileage as listed in the press release is correct, as well as the gasguzzler tax. The federal government has set a 22.5 mpg composite mileage figure as the threshold for the tax, which in this case is $1,000. The final price of the vehicle, including the federal tax is $33,495.

Sincerely,

Jim Hopson
Pontiac-GMC Communication

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
After all is said and done the bottom line is that the M6 gets 8 MPG highway more than the A4 and that is very significant dollars wise over the life of the car. I will be raising the issue as I am sure many more will. GM had originally estimated about 65% A4 to 35% M6 and is currently running 50-50. I expect that will change dramatically toward 80% M6 now that these numbers are out IMO.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Hey, 21.5 looks better than 21, right?

As such, since TECHNICALLY, it is above 21 MPG, they rounded up to make it look better.

·
Now I gotta Goat!!!!
487 Posts
Tails said:
I expect that will change dramatically toward 80% M6 now that these numbers are out IMO.
Curious, why do you say that? Since the M6 is a (nearly) $700.00 option, and the Auto gets the $1000.00 tax, the auto is only $300.00 more than the standard, right? Historically, autos always cost more than standards. People are more than willing to pay for the "convenience" of the auto. Also, on the current 50/50 split, I think preoreders are going to a great extant to serious enthusiasts, many of whom will prefer a standard trans.

Is there any info on how sales are going? How many GTOs will be sold as preorders? How many will we see on lots?

·
LS1GTO Traitor
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even though the prices are close and people are used to paying extra for the automatic, I think it just bugs everyone to know that you are spending an extra grand because of the flooking gas guzzler tax. At least that's how I felt about it.

I've relaxed now. And am dealing with it better. I even went so far as to review the income tax rules to see if I could deduct the gas guzzler tax on my itemized income tax return. Unfortunately, it doesn't look promising....

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I have settled down too. These damn suprises are maddening at first. I know that the 8 MPG isn't going to be the real difference so as long as it is the usual 2-3 mpg worse what's the difference. In reality anyone that buys a GTO is going to be somewhat of a lead foot anyway. oohh yaay!!

·
LS1GTO Traitor
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tails said:
In reality anyone that buys a GTO is going to be somewhat of a lead foot anyway. oohh yaay!!
Indeed. I'm HOPING the original tires last me 20,000 miles. Once my baby has 500 miles on her I foresee a big smokey burnout.:D :D :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
My tires will last about twenty minutes, as my company allows me to trade in competitive tires for our tires, which in this case would be the Bridgestone Pole Position S-03. Original equipment on Ferrari 550 Maranello and they grip like freakin mad. Anyone interested in a like new set of BFG's with just one long smoky burnout on them??

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
They'll still be a 50/50 split no matter how much you tax them.

I'll be upgrading to Eagle GS-C's or F1's for the look. Since I'll probably put 20,000 miles on this car in it's total life, I ain't to worried about maximum performance or durability from them as I'll switch to a slick or drag radial at the track anyway.

·
Now I gotta Goat!!!!
487 Posts
I got to thinking, I wonder what the MPG difference is for the 'Vette. It isn'r aples to apples, but here is the comparison for the standard 'Vette and trhe Z06.

Coupe Z06
Standard Engine 5.7L V8 5.7L V8
Manual Transmission Optional Standard
Automatic Transmission Standard Not Available
Horsepower @ RPM [email protected] [email protected]
Torque @ RPM [email protected] [email protected]
Displacement (cc) 5665 5665
Compression Ratio 10.1 10.5
Fuel Economy City (mpg) 18 19
Fuel Economy Highway (mpg) 25 28

This formatted horribly. Don't now how to fix it. The first column is standard coupe, automatic standard, the second is the Z06, no automatic available.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Overall mpg ... 2005 GTO w/M12 6 speed?

considering that I only have 400 miles on my new
GTO, I have a question ... is there a way to set it up when personalizing the electronics, so that a moving average mpg can be calculated and maintained like I was able to do in my good ol' '95 GrandPrix GTP Special Edition?

Whenever I've reset the "system" for each of my two fill-ups, it zeroes out the avg mpg ...

sooooo ... I'd appreciate advice from somebody on how to make this happen ... that is, IF it can happen!

:huh: :hail:

·
Non Denominational Car Nut
2,347 Posts
on my trip back home over 1200miles I averaged 20.9mpg ,,that included 3 hours of bumper to bumper traffic and speeds otherwise generally ranging from 70-110mph .. I discovered the mpg didnt change much from 70-90mph which is kinda weird.

·
Prophet of Doom
1,180 Posts
Averaged 24.5 mpg on the highway with cruise set at 75 mph. I have an M6.

City mileage is horrible, usually get around 14.5 mpg. Need to take some lead out of my shoe.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Barry said:
Sorry for the late reply, just got back from vacation. I've been averaging about 22mpg. Interestingly, on our vacation we rented a Ford Taurus. The best this thing could do (even on the highway), was about 20mpg (by it's own reckoning). Granted it was hot (heat index over 105 most of the days there), but that seemed pretty bad for gas mileage. Maybe something was wrong with the car, it didn't seem to have much power.

(Of course, compared to my daily drive) :gr_jest:
No nothing was wrong with the car because they don't have much power at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
danl72
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing