LS1GTO Forums banner

235 Front / 245 Rear - Changing to 245's all the way around?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  WickedGoat 
#1 ·
I'm setup with 235's on the Front and 245's on the rear, A couple of years ago, Discount Tire would not do 245's on the front because of potential strut rub, so I ended up with the slight staggered setup. Since then, I've upgraded to Lovell springs, new struts and a few more pieces, and I dont think strut rub is likely any longer.

Does anyone else run 245's on all 4 corners, and if so, do you run a small hubcentric spacer? I was considering 3-5mm spacer just for safely.

The reason I'm doing this is to allow me to rotate tires a little more effectively, and in my driveway. Right now discount tire has to dismount the tires and flip them from side to side for me to maintain even wear.

My wheels are factory 18" in chrome.

Thanks..

#2 ·
I’ve run 245/40/18’s on all four corners on GTO’s I’ve owned since 2008. No issue at all as long as you have the car aligned correctly and don’t have worn/broken suspension parts.

Never once did I have any sort of strut rub either.

#5 ·
the 17's came with 245 from the factory.

with as many small differences in between tire dimensions between brands and types of tire for a particular size, i couldn't see any issue with a 245 section with 18" tire since not many people report any issues with 17" 245 width sizes. make sure alignment and front suspension is spot on and it should be good.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the input. As a test, I may move the 235's to the back and rotate the 245 (rears) to the front. Probably will look a little strange if you stare at the car, but it will give me a real test. I appreciate it, and will report back.

#7 ·
"Discount Tire would not do 245's on the front because of potential strut rub"

Discount changed their policy at some point, probably due to liability, insurance, lawsuits, etc. I bought 265s for my rears from Discount, which they mounted, balanced, and installed. Next time I went back, they wouldn't do it. Said the 265s wouldn't fit. I pointed at the car and said take a look. But their computer said they wouldn't fit, so no more 265s from Discount. Buy the tires from Tire Rack and find a different tire shop to do the work.

#8 ·
Go to different tire shop. My 04 had 245 all around on stock 17" rims and never rubbed on struts. Check front suspension, strut bushing, etc and it should not rub even with 18's
I have 19" rims now with 245/35/19 in front and 275/30/19 in rears and they still don't rub.

19x8.5 front 245/35/19 45mm offset in front
19x9.5 rear 275/30/19 52mm offset in rear

#12 ·
I went through this back in the day when my car was brand new. Jumped on a group buy for factory 18s and decided I was doing 245/40-18s all the way around. Bought 3mm wheel spacers for the front because I saw a rub mark on the left front strut. Took it to the dealership and they aligned it and removed the spacers because the camber adjustment gave adequate clearance between the tires and the struts.

As others have stated, and I would also imagine on 15, 16 year old cars now, go through the front suspension and replace what is worn. Put your 245s on and get a good alignment and you will be fine.

Edit - And yes, if Discount Tire won't do it because their computer says not to, then find another shop. It is what it is, they are not correct and there probably is zero point in arguing with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.