LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at 19" rear wheels and going with a 285 tire, do you think that the traction will be better than that of the 17" 245? I know that with a smaller side wall you are loosing some traction (I'm talking from a dead stop, not in corners) but will the wider 285 more than compensate for the smaller side wall? Opinions please...

·
Registered
703 Posts
i would think it would, only problem- with a bigger tire you will be slower, time for a rear gear change!

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
The better question is, will the 285s fit?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking at a set of wheels/tires for sale that are 19x10 with a 285 out back. I did a search and I have'nt seen many running a 285. I realize I need to cut or roll the fenders, but my concern was traction (because of the 19"rim), but now I'm wondering if the 285 is going to work even with cutting. BTW tire is a Toyo T1R which I know do have a more rounded side wall.

·
Used to have one
4,734 Posts
i highly doubt that the 10" rim will fit out back...i know 275's will fit on a 9' with a BFG drag radial, but the BFG's tend to run smaller than say a normal radial....def have to cut/roll the fender for sure

·
not a pontiac its a HOLDEN !!
8,787 Posts
dry a wider tire will hav better traction , under accel and stoping

1 - 7 of 7 Posts