LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not seen much talk about the next larger 17" tire size for the GTO...255/45-17, which is listed as a direct replacement "plus zero" size for the stock tire...The 255/45-17 tire is a true 10" tire (10.04" vs 9.65" for stock). It is also slightly less than 3/8" taller than stock, making it a true 26x10" tire as well. I think the extra .4" of width and even the extra 3/8" diameter increase would work nicely with the car, widening the stance a bit and filling up the wheelwells slightly better...I used to have 255/50/16 tires on the rears my 3rd generation Camaros and it always made a noticeable difference over the stock 245/50-16 tires :)

Is there any computer related reason one could not use the 255/45-17 tires on all 4 corners of a GTO?

As far as any possible rubbing on the front stuts, I think it would not be an issue - I will be using 17x8" wheels with a 40mm offset, which will push the face of the tire out towards the curb about 3/8". This is just what the doctor ordered in my opinion after measuring on the car and figuring tire dimensions, offests, etc...I don't believe any fender lip rolling will be necessary either...

Can anyone comment on the 255 tire and my planned wheel/tire combo? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks! :)

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
I'd just worry about tire rub on the outer fender up front then. From what i've seen, their is little room for change in width up front without tire rub of some sort.

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
CSiJason said:
I'd just worry about tire rub on the outer fender up front then. From what i've seen, their is little room for change in width up front without tire rub of some sort.
I'd be more worried about strut rub on stock wheels. You have a VERY small amount of room left. If you reach in there with stock wheels/tires, you have less than probably 1/3" of room both in height and width.

Edit: Next time I'll read more! Fender rub now...

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see how 3/8" of outward movement in the front is going to cause any trouble. There is plenty of room between the stock tire & fender...I measured at least 1" from contact point to contact point...3/8" should not affect the fronts at all.

Any ideas on the compatibility with the computer? The speedo will be .91MPH off...is that enough to trigger any computer problems?...Wouldn't think so, but does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Let us know if there is any rubbing. I'm looking for tires soon.

There is a way to calibrate for the tire size change. I'm not sure if it was through a tuner program or not though.

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
The fender isn't an issue. The strut definitely is. I replaced my tires with 245/45 Falken Azenis, which have a cross section that is more square on the shoulders than the KDWS. They have rubbed the paint off of the strut right under the spring seat already. That was just going to a slightly different shaped, yet same size, tire. If I was going to 255s I would use a 3mm spacer to insure clearance.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
It seems to me we don't have any room to work with. Going 255 may look slightly more meaty but you would get better performance from just getting better tire compound.

Falken in OE size rubbing really makes me wonder! Most people don't really consider the slight differences in specifications between same sized tire. I'll have to keep that in mind.

·
2,637 Posts
Quicksilver said:
I don't see how 3/8" of outward movement in the front is going to cause any trouble. There is plenty of room between the stock tire & fender...I measured at least 1" from contact point to contact point...3/8" should not affect the fronts at all.
It's not an issue of measuring from the tire to the fender - do this: take a piece of thin wood (like a yard stick or something), and put it against the face of the tire (vertically, touching the lower sidewall to the upper sidewall), then try to slide it under the fender - it won't fit. This will give you a good line of how the tire will move into the fender. There's no room. Many people have had rubbing issues with even some aggressive 245mm tires on 40mm offset wheels.

·
2,637 Posts
2Cool said:
The fender isn't an issue. The strut definitely is. I replaced my tires with 245/45 Falken Azenis, which have a cross section that is more square on the shoulders than the KDWS. They have rubbed the paint off of the strut right under the spring seat already. That was just going to a slightly different shaped, yet same size, tire. If I was going to 255s I would use a 3mm spacer to insure clearance.
He's putting on new wheels with a 40mm offset, which will push the wheel out 8mm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts