LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading up and it seems the consensus says that 275/40/17s will fit on the OEM wheels and will not rub. I just want to make doubly sure before I order a set.

Thanks!

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts
Wow, really! KDWS in 275/40/17. Could someone please post some pics of those. Thanks.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
04bluegto said:
They fit Wavydavy had some KDWS (same as stock brand) in 275/40/17 and told me they fit. Have my pair sitting in the garage!!!

Same as stock!!! Wow!!! I didnt know what came on my car :wall:

LOL I am teasing. Its funny how you can get carried away when posting on the internet :p :cool: :D

Hahaha and if you want to get REALLY technical, KDWS is the model, BFG is the brand ;)

·
Registered
540 Posts
They may fit but it is not advised to put a 275/40/17 on an 8" wheel. You should have at least a 9" wheel and preferably a 9.5" wheel for that wide of a tire.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
The only issue is that the tire may "crown" some.

I had put 285 series rubber on my HD on a 16x6.5" wheel (vs. a normal 16x8 wheel) which they recommended I not do, the only reason being that it "crowned".

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Well my opinion for what it is worth is don't bother.

No manufacturer that i could find (Yokohama, BFG, GY) rates a 275 tire as fitting on a 8in rim. You can do this on a 9in rim.

I know it looks like it will fit but i'm not inclined to go against the manufacturer recommendations.

The other issue is KDWS. Why go to a bigger tire but retain the compromise rubber. It may look great but some guy with 245/45-17 KD's will out brake, accelerate, and corner you.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PFYC said:
They may fit but it is not advised to put a 275/40/17 on an 8" wheel. You should have at least a 9" wheel and preferably a 9.5" wheel for that wide of a tire.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC
BFGs website says 9"-11", the wheels on my car per the window sticker are 17x8.5. I work at a tire company so I can get them cheap. I will take the chance on the 1/2" ;)

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
I'm running 275/35/18 on 18" x 9", 48mm offset wheels. They fit fine in THAT configuration.

I'm inclined to agree with PFYC and the manufacturer's recommendations. A 9" wheel for 275 tires... For those of you who have already bought the tires, nothing to lose by trying them out. For anyone considering the wider tire, also consider the wider wheel.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I do know from personal expierence that 275/40-17" tires will work on 17"x8.5" wheels. Many 94-96 Impala SS owners, including myself, have done this with no problems whatsoever. The smaller rim does pull a little bit of tread off the ground (crowning). Not bad or objectionable at all. :)

I thought our GTO rims were only 8" wide though? :confused:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Shag Finger said:
My window sticker expressly says 17x8.5" wheels.
Dude, save your window sticker. It will be worth something someday. It is misprinted.

The stock wheels on the 2004 Pontiac GTO are definitely 17" x 8".

Unless they made another mid-model-year change, like they did with the tstat housings...

·
1,263 Posts
Look Closer At Your Window Sticker

Shag Finger said:
BFGs website says 9"-11", the wheels on my car per the window sticker are 17x8.5. I work at a tire company so I can get them cheap. I will take the chance on the 1/2" ;)
I keep hearing folks say our wheels measure 8.5" and their info was gotten from the window sticker. WRONG, if you look it says 17' x 8'5 Spoke Alloy Wheels
It is typed with no spacing between the 8" spec for the wheel width and the 5 that's referring to the amount of spokes the wheel has. Soooooo, we have 17" x 8" Wheels! I just had to throw in my 2 bucks worth in! <--- Inflation is a killer :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts