LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 275/40/17s put on the stock rear rims of my GTO. They fit the stock rims fine. A little snug, but no wierd fitment problems. The problem lies in the car itself. The tires rub....A LOT! I hear rubbing during every shift and during hard cornering and even entering driveways. America's Tire Co said they would fit w/o problems, but after seeing my troubles, they are changing their nationwide fitment guide. I am getting the stock 245/40/17s reinstalled Friday. Oh well. :banghead:

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Rolling the fender well lips should clear that up.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Fitting the wheels and fitting the car are two entirely different monsters. Just find someone near you that can roll the fender lips which should cure the problem.

·
I hack cars.
8,111 Posts
I think there was a thread stating they would only fit on the rear?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
It was worth a shot but all evidence has shown that trying to move up a size is not easy to do. The OE wheel not only is not wide enough for 275 tire but the offset does not allow the extra tire to fit in. You need different wheels to do that and probably consider rolling the fender.

IMO there is no point in going to 275 unless you already maxed out the rubber ie DR or dry only compound. A 275 all season or wet/dry tire is kinda ridiculous.

You know what sucks the most is this place said they would fit. I don't think they have any clue as to how tight the wheel well is on these goats.

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
What I think is nuts (concerning someone telling you they fit) is to even THINK about putting 275/40 tires on an 8" rim. You're pulling the side wall in way too much.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually the tires do not seem to pull in on the sidewalls at all. My friend whom works at the shop is trying to help with the fitment. I will see if I get to keep them.

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
CaliGoat said:
Actually the tires do not seem to pull in on the sidewalls at all. My friend whom works at the shop is trying to help with the fitment. I will see if I get to keep them.
It's not necessarily physically noticable, especially with newer tires with the sidewall protection. The "minimums" from almost every tire manufacturer is 9"...

Just the slightest pothole or curb bounce, and you'll break the bead and instantly deflate your tire. I've seen it too many times to not say something...

[dismounts his soapbox...]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts