LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of some people putting 275/35x17 on the stock rear wheels. Has anyone here tried that and how do they fit on the 8" rims? Do you have to roll the fenders to get 275's on the rear?

·
Been here for a long time...
4,659 Posts
I've seen the 275/40/17 Nitto Drag Radials on the stock wheel and it looks great. No rolling of fender lips either.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Putting a 275 (11" wide nominally) on an 8" wheel is pretty iffy. You risk tire damage pretty easily from what's been said on here. Get some real wheels and then get real tires k :)

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
They work just fine!!Don't listen to all the nay sayers.Look at sig.

·
Registered
346 Posts
STAN has a thread where he put them on the rear 275/40-17 I think.. There are pics of it too. Looks real good!!!!

The tread is called:

Installed 275/40-17 on rear>>

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can see the Nitto 555R's going on an 8" easy due to that super soft sidewall, a normal 275-40 may be a little tough. At minimum, I'd say an 8.5" wheel for the 275 40. (unprofessional opinion, of course!)

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Bone said:
They work just fine!!Don't listen to all the nay sayers.Look at sig.
AGREED! I don't get why everyone wants to keep claiming this won't work or that it is unsafe! Discount tire says you can even put a 285 on the stock wheel, and I'm pretty sure they know what will work better than we do. I have 275/40/17 NT555R's on the rear and there is barely even a bulge. I did not have to roll my fender lip and there has been absolutely no rubbing. I beat the hell out of these tires at the track at about 23-27psi and they were great. At least in a Nitto the 275/40/17's will fit with absolutely no problem and they look/perform great!

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
mike, are these rim and tires for sale? cause i cant seem to stop buying things from you guys! dont know if its the colors you guys use on the site or maybe some sort of sublimital message, but i'm drawn to it! but seriously though, id like to see the rims, maybe you have some pics......

·
Registered
540 Posts
gotzaGTO said:
mike, are these rim and tires for sale? cause i cant seem to stop buying things from you guys! dont know if its the colors you guys use on the site or maybe some sort of sublimital message, but i'm drawn to it! but seriously though, id like to see the rims, maybe you have some pics......
We will be offering them in a couple of weeks. We'll also be offering smaller sizes for those that don't want to go through what we did to make it work. We'll release pictures of them on the car at SEMA. One lucky person on this forum will get to see them today. :)

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

·
Registered
367 Posts
BlueSuperGoat said:
AGREED! I don't get why everyone wants to keep claiming this won't work or that it is unsafe! Discount tire says you can even put a 285 on the stock wheel, and I'm pretty sure they know what will work better than we do. I have 275/40/17 NT555R's on the rear and there is barely even a bulge. I did not have to roll my fender lip and there has been absolutely no rubbing. I beat the hell out of these tires at the track at about 23-27psi and they were great. At least in a Nitto the 275/40/17's will fit with absolutely no problem and they look/perform great!
Have you watched someone install a Nitto 555R on a wheel? The sidewall is so soft (drag radial) it practiacally falls on. Any standard tire meant for cornering (not an R-compound tire) such as BFG KD's or Kumho MX's will have much stiffer sidewall, and will not fit as well on a 8" wheel.

I currently have BFG KDW's 285-40-17's on OEM 8.5" Impala SS wheel and the tread actually curves on the side because the sidewalls are being pulled in. NOT a good set up for hard cornering (I'm waiting on ROH ZR6 wheels in 9.5" width to be shipped from down under).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts