LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you could but 275's in the rear without rolling or trimming the fender. The wheel fitment guide says that they would fit but it doesnt say if that is with the fender rolled or not i want wider tires in the back but i would wanna leave the fender the way it is if its possible.

I was thinking about getting some 275/40/18's

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
just get some nitto 555's in 245. gain the grip without rolling the fenders..

·
Gone but not forgoten
186 Posts
we have a guy here local running 275x35x19;s and he hasnt rolled fenders and isnt rubbing on stock suspension

·
I deserve to be BLOWN!!!
1,481 Posts
bnvus said:
King Springs and drag bags will give you enough lift to fit them.
My fenders are rolled with 275/40R17's G-Force DR's. There's about a Qtr. Inch of clearance with stock springs once I put it to the floor! I can't imagine a safe clearance with non-rolled fenders and stock or lowered springs.

Also, I have quite a bit of camber ( / \ ) as-well.

·
10 Second N/A Club
5,542 Posts
Best tire

The best tire on the market hands down is the M/T ET Street Radial 275/40r17's........ON STOCK RIMS!!! Buy yourself a set of BMR Airbags or from somewhere else and your good to go. Even more the ride is pretty good with the bags to. :burnout:

***Note if your doing alot of daily driving You will burn through a set fairly quickly.***

·
10 Second N/A Club
5,542 Posts
Can do it without pedders suspension ...Besides the BMR AIR BAGS My Suspension is stock ...Oh yea and Harrop cover to.

Original Stock Shocks :)
Stock Springs

·
sincitygoats.com
4,827 Posts
um dude, someone asked how my car was lowered. getting tire under a lowered car is far more work than just slapping some bags on it and lifting the car. it was more or less to show that the nittos can absolutely 100% positively fit a stock gto in 275/40/17 fitment, considering i can get it under my lowered gto.

·
Registered
901 Posts
sckGTO said:
I was wondering if you could but 275's in the rear without rolling or trimming the fender. The wheel fitment guide says that they would fit but it doesnt say if that is with the fender rolled or not i want wider tires in the back but i would wanna leave the fender the way it is if its possible.

I was thinking about getting some 275/40/18's
275/40/18...MAYBE on a Nitto tire (if they make that size). If it was a BFG tire, then no way, no chance. Even with the fenders rolled, you will need to RAISE or stiffen the rear. A lot of people told me it would fit, but I learned the hard way that it does not.

275/35/18...that's a totally different story. That little less sidewall makes a big difference. Should be ok, but you will still need to roll the fenders if it's a BFG tire.

EDIT: and I have a perfect offset of +52. It rubbed both the inside and the outside of the rear wheel wells equally. I had to pin the fender lips back and beat out the inner well with a sledge hammer. Finally, I had to use rubber spring blocks. This is with 275/40/18

·
2005 GTO m6
756 Posts
Are these for going straight only? I have 275s on my other car with 18x9s on the car and the tires seem a little wide for the rim width. Wouldn't the GTO rims be too narrow for a 275?

Sam

·
Registered
901 Posts
wraith said:
Are these for going straight only? I have 275s on my other car with 18x9s on the car and the tires seem a little wide for the rim width. Wouldn't the GTO rims be too narrow for a 275?

Sam
They're using Nitto or Toyo tires because those tires run small. A 275 Nitto tire = 255 BFG tire. They would not be able to put a 275 BFG on a stock wheel and drive with any safety.

·
Registered
292 Posts
275/40/18's are way too tall(26.7" dia) I guess you mean 275/35/18's? Even then I think it's a hit or miss depending on your individual car. Alot of guys here swear it can be done perhaps because it worked for them. Those that listened to such advice and tried may not have been so lucky and needed further work to get them to fit. If your gonna do it, keep in mind :
1- Hell ...,I'll do what it takes to make it fit or:
2- If it dont work out I'll lose what I paid for tires and perhaps sell them here But At Least I Tried It!!!

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
wraith said:

Sam
I think most of the folks are answering with drag racing in mind. Especially the dude talking about the Mickey Thompsons. They are the ultimate dragger set up, and I desire a pair strongly after I blow these 275 Nittos away! 275s should be on a wider rim than our stock, but it works fine for daily moderate driving and awesome for drag racing.
To autox, etc, the sidewall will be at too much of an angle on the factory rims. I do not sideload my 275 DRs much, and don't want to find out what happens if ya get them sideways too much.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Venom said:
They're using Nitto or Toyo tires because those tires run small. A 275 Nitto tire = 255 BFG tire. They would not be able to put a 275 BFG on a stock wheel and drive with any safety.
I've been doing it for about a year now . The section width for bfg's and nitto's seem to be about the same size, it's the tread width on the nitto's that are somewhat narrower due to the rounded shoulder. if 275 bfg's are unsafe on stock 17's shouldnt nitto's be just as unsafe?

·
Registered
901 Posts
GT joe said:
I've been doing it for about a year now . The section width for bfg's and nitto's seem to be about the same size, it's the tread width on the nitto's that are somewhat narrower due to the rounded shoulder. if 275 bfg's are unsafe on stock 17's shouldnt nitto's be just as unsafe?
I've fitted Nitto tires and BFG tires back to back on my brother's cobra. I have BFG tires on my GTO. I am 100% sure that Nitto tires have a smaller fit AND a smaller thread footprint. The only thing about Nittos that isn't smaller is the diameter. Sorry to disagree, but I feel certain.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Venom said:
I've fitted Nitto tires and BFG tires back to back on my brother's cobra. I have BFG tires on my GTO. I am 100% sure that Nitto tires have a smaller fit AND a smaller thread footprint. The only thing about Nittos that isn't smaller is the diameter. Sorry to disagree, but I feel certain.
The nitto's do seem to run slightly lower in diameter than bfg's but the sect. width is the same. bfg's have a wider tread with, which obviously is what causes them to rub and not the nitto's. You can get spec's at tire rack site.
Incidently was the tires you matched up the nitto 555? reason I'm asking is I just noticed they (nitto) have a 285/40/17 and I might be able to use them since my 275 bfg's dont rub. The nittos in 285/40 are only .2 " taller.I just dont know if 555r's or 555I's are the way to go for street use.

By the way Venom By "unsafe" were you refering to rubbing or mounting on rim?I can see where the bfgs are unsafe because of the rubbing if not resolved.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts