LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I'm brand new to this message board; I discovered it only last night, but I'm very pleased I did.

I have a 2006 GTO which I have owned for less than 2 months. I absolutely love this car except for one problem: I am frequently locked out of 2nd gear. I know that the car has the "1 to 4" shift lockout under certain conditions, but that is not what I am experiencing. The effect is exactly the same as a "1 to 4" shift lockout, except the "1 to 4" shift light isn't on. (I know that my "1 to 4" shift light works b/c I have seen it working.) My problem occurs only when going through an intersection (from a full stop) during city driving. It doesn't always occur, but it occurs enough to be very annoying, sometimes as much as 2-3 times per day. There is something about my driving pattern when going through an intersection from a full stop that triggers the problem. I have not yet consulted my dealer b/c I am trying to see if there are any other predictable factors associated with the problem (a certain rpm range, a certain speed range, etc).

Any ideas? (I am new to this board so I don't know if this problem has already been discussed. If so, could someone kindly direct me to that thread?) Your input will be greatly appreciated!

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
Welcome.. I've never heard of this problem. The only thing I can think of is you may be engaging the CAGS, but the light isn't showing. Have you tried shifting at ~3,500 RPM? Does it still lock you out? Try it.

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
The conditions you are describing when the lockout occurs are exactly when the skip-shift/CAGS is supposed to engage, at light throttle and 15-19 mph. The 1-4 light and dash indicator may only come on briefly and you might not see them if you're concentrating on the traffic.
Chances are there is nothing wrong but by all means have your dealer check it out. If there is in fact no problem found and this is happening often, you may want to install a skip-shift delete. It's a common mod and easily done, and was one of the first things I did with my car when I got it.

·
AKA CrabbyDaddy
251 Posts
You can always kill two birds with one stone. Get a Tune and have them eliminate the skip shift while they’re tweaking your programming. Even without any mods you’ll find that a good tune will improve your performance and likely your gas mileage. :gears:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jontall said:
Welcome.. I've never heard of this problem. The only thing I can think of is you may be engaging the CAGS, but the light isn't showing. Have you tried shifting at ~3,500 RPM? Does it still lock you out? Try it.
Usually, whenever it happens, I'm in the middle of the intersection with cars in front or behind me, and I have to make a split second decision in order to keep the car moving forward. So, I either slide it into 4th or shove it up into 3rd. The day before yesterday, for the first time, the problem occured when no other cars were around, so I had a brief moment to experiment with the problem. I kept it out of gear, revved the engine, then tried 2nd again. It worked.

So, I believe you guys are right. I believe it is related to the CAGS. I think the CAGS is engaging, but the light doesn't usually come on.... for whatever reason. By the way.... I absolutely hate CAGS:soapbox: I can't imagine why anyone would want that feature on a vehicle. CAGS is a major blunder on an otherwise marvelous vehicle.

I am very interested in the CAGS/skip-shift delete that you guys are talking about. What exactly is it? How do I get it? and how is it installed?

Plano, is getting a tune and letting the dealer disable the CAGS covered under the warranty?

You guys are great! Thanks for your responses.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
The skip-shift eliminator is a $20-$30 small cable that plugs in near your tranny. You can also have skip-shift removed if you get your car tuned.

Pardon the threadjack, but your screen name wouldn't happen to represent what you do, would it?

If so, you need to meet this guy:
http://ls1gto.com/forums/member.php?u=693

·
New home track: Nürburgring
3,590 Posts
PastorDave said:
Hello Everyone,
I'm brand new to this message board; I discovered it only last night, but I'm very pleased I did.

I have a 2006 GTO which I have owned for less than 2 months. I absolutely love this car except for one problem: I am frequently locked out of 2nd gear. I know that the car has the "1 to 4" shift lockout under certain conditions, but that is not what I am experiencing. The effect is exactly the same as a "1 to 4" shift lockout, except the "1 to 4" shift light isn't on. (I know that my "1 to 4" shift light works b/c I have seen it working.) My problem occurs only when going through an intersection (from a full stop) during city driving. It doesn't always occur, but it occurs enough to be very annoying, sometimes as much as 2-3 times per day. There is something about my driving pattern when going through an intersection from a full stop that triggers the problem. I have not yet consulted my dealer b/c I am trying to see if there are any other predictable factors associated with the problem (a certain rpm range, a certain speed range, etc).

Any ideas? (I am new to this board so I don't know if this problem has already been discussed. If so, could someone kindly direct me to that thread?) Your input will be greatly appreciated!
I couldn't have described it better. I have the exact same problem. I also have a pack of resistors, and my Goat is waiting for me to install one of them (!CAGS). Hopefully I'll get to it early next week and update everyone.

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
A 20 cent solution to your problem with cags is available as the guy above me hinted. A resistor across the cags solonoid feedwire makes all right and good again in your world. 2.2k ohm, 1/2 watt. Radio Shack sells 'em, 5 for a buck.
Sorry to the sponsors selling cags delete kits...just sell him something he can't do at home for lots more $:pimp:

I loved when CAGS would kick in...always at the worst time...
This was brought to you to avoid a fat gas guzzler tax, as it makes the EPA city cycle do much better. Thanks to the gooberment are in order.

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
skipshift killer=$20

·
1 of 262
10,335 Posts
PastorDave said:
Usually, whenever it happens, I'm in the middle of the intersection with cars in front or behind me, and I have to make a split second decision in order to keep the car moving forward. So, I either slide it into 4th or shove it up into 3rd. The day before yesterday, for the first time, the problem occured when no other cars were around, so I had a brief moment to experiment with the problem. I kept it out of gear, revved the engine, then tried 2nd again. It worked.

So, I believe you guys are right. I believe it is related to the CAGS. I think the CAGS is engaging, but the light doesn't usually come on.... for whatever reason. By the way.... I absolutely hate CAGS:soapbox: I can't imagine why anyone would want that feature on a vehicle. CAGS is a major blunder on an otherwise marvelous vehicle.

I am very interested in the CAGS/skip-shift delete that you guys are talking about. What exactly is it? How do I get it? and how is it installed?

Plano, is getting a tune and letting the dealer disable the CAGS covered under the warranty?

You guys are great! Thanks for your responses.
PastorDave, don't baby the car, push it a little harder; it's not going to break. skip shift eliminator: http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21008

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jontall said:
PastorDave, don't baby the car, push it a little harder; it's not going to break. skip shift eliminator: http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21008
Well, I'm not really babying it. Like I said, the problem occurs only at intersections in the city. Thus, the speed of the slow moving vehicle in front of me dictates how fast I take off. The one time it occured when no other vehicles were near me was while I was on a 30 mph road that is heavily patrolled by traffic cops. In all cases, the take-off had to be gradual.

Now, when I'm not at a crowded intersection, etc, I can "let 'er rip" and the problem never occurs.:gears:

Hey, guys, your input has been great. I will seek to employ your solutions this week. THANK YOU to everyone who responded.

Oh, I almost forgot: RobertHammen: Yep, I'm a minister. I checked out the profile of the guy you referenced. Funny avitar!

·
ELESTOO
695 Posts
Welcome Pastor. The funny thing is that I had my car tuned about 30-days after I got it (an 06 as well) and I totally forget that it ever had the Skip Shift. I would second the opinion that you are not catching the 1->4 light as it is only on for a moment. That is what happened with mine. Try a quick left/right jiggle of the stick then cram it in 2nd. Drive it like you stole it and you won't ever see that thing again!
On a serious note, find a tuner that uses HP Tuner and that is one of the MANY things that gets "fixed". Check out the links to the left and they will get you where you want to be.
<----
<----

·
smurfin' fly-by...
1,482 Posts
I'd sell my CAGS eliminator for the price of shipping, but I won't be back home until mid-Oct; removed it with a tune, so don't need it anymore. Actually, just get a good tune, it'll remove CAGS and also net you some more hp/tq.

·
New home track: Nürburgring
3,590 Posts
snowairg said:
I couldn't have described it better. I have the exact same problem. I also have a pack of resistors, and my Goat is waiting for me to install one of them (!CAGS). Hopefully I'll get to it early next week and update everyone.
Resistor was installed a couple weeks back and (1) I can get into 2nd gear now when that stupid 1>4 light comes on and (2) I no longer have any problems like I did before with being locked out of second gear.

So... I guess I have a bad lockout solenoid or my 1>4 shift light isn't programmed properly. Anyone else with the 2nd gear lockout problem (even when the 1>4 light doesn't come on) should def. install !CAGS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts