LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I'd rather be scuba diving.
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First one was an 07 Corvette convertible. Started at a light with me behind. The guy took off like a bat out of hell. I caught him at the next light. This time I was ready. He took off, pulled on me but I started to reel him in by
2nd. I caught him and passed around top of third. I went by him but was not leaving him by much. Finally we came to another stop and the guy rolled down his window and said I surpised him. He also said it looks like as if he is going to have to spend some more money on his car. I told him my mods. He looked to be about 60 or so. He said it was a 6 speed auto with paddle shifters. Nice guy.
Second was a black c4 vette. He came up on me on the highway and passed on the left in a hurry. I was in 6th, but downshifted to 4th when I seen him pull up behind me. I stayed in 4th and caught him quickly. I passed him like he was standind still by the top of 4th.
Last was a black c5 vette. He pulled up next to me and stated goosing the gas pedal. I bit. I walked this guy but not too bad. We went from a roll in 1st and he jumped me but I was only about 1/2 car behind. By third I passed him. I rolled down my window as we came to a stop side by side, but he wouldnt look over. When the light went green I pulled out ready, but the guy changed lanes and got behind me. He stayed there for a couple of miles.
First real tests I have had since the heads and cam. Pretty happy but I know it is just a matter of time before I get smoked.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
I call :bs: A GTO would NEVER beat any corvette!

Nice kills! If only I could get cars like that to race around here.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Good to see your car is back together, and your having fun. When I finally get myself back-together we'll have to runem'!

;)

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
ShaneD_06GTO said:
I call :bs: A GTO would NEVER beat any corvette!

Nice kills! If only I could get cars like that to race around here.
Just an FYI. One of the new corvette options is the 6sp auto with 2:56 rear end gears. I ran one at the track and because of his gearing it was hard for him to launch hard. I beat him to the end he was running in the 13.5 range. Light to light I could see where a new similarly equipped vette would get beat. FWIW

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Ironmancan said:
Just an FYI. One of the new corvette options is the 6sp auto with 2:56 rear end gears. I ran one at the track and because of his gearing it was hard for him to launch hard. I beat him to the end he was running in the 13.5 range. Light to light I could see where a new similarly equipped vette would get beat. FWIW
Those new vettes are capable of high 12's stock. They are rockets off the line, I test drove an '05 once. Impressive car. Good kill.:patriot:

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
GTO4now said:
Those new vettes are capable of high 12's stock. They are rockets off the line, I test drove an '05 once. Impressive car. Good kill.:patriot:
Not the one's with the 2:56 rear end gears.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ironmancan said:
I have a C6 and the A6 only comes with 2.56 gears. The manual gets the 3.42. First gear in the A6 is very strong is will smoke the tires! The A6 has a better first gear (10.29) than the standard M6 (9.10) and M6-Z51 (10.16) and an almost equal second gear. Each of ratios in the new A6 is way better than the old 3.15 performance axle.

Most guys on the corvetteforum are running mid 12's (12.5-12.8) in their A6's. :gears:

·
Registered
330 Posts
GTO4now said:
That is TRUE!!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ironmancan said:
Not the one's with the 2:56 rear end gears.
This is not true!!

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
2LS1's said:
I have a C6 and the A6 only comes with 2.56 gears. The manual gets the 3.42. First gear in the A6 is very strong is will smoke the tires! The A6 has a better first gear (10.29) than the standard M6 (9.10) and M6-Z51 (10.16) and an almost equal second gear. Each of ratios in the new A6 is way better than the old 3.15 performance axle.

Most guys on the corvetteforum are running mid 12's (12.5-12.8) in their A6's. :gears:
Then I must have run into a bad driver. This one was a consistant mid 13 sec car.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ironmancan said:
Then I must have run into a bad driver. This one was a consistant mid 13 sec car.
Could have been a bad driver. Here are some times posted on the other forum of bone stock A6's at the track. Since summer is gone is most places(except Arizona) times will really look good. The summer heat really takes its toll on 1/4 times.

12.48 @ 112.11 - LS1LT1- 06 A6
12.61 @ 115.91 - BlownV6 - 06 A6
12.70 @ 112.43 - Jelsis - 06 Z51 A6
12.72 @ 111.98 - SR0707 - 06 A6
12.85 @ 110.00 - Soldsyclone - 06 A6
12.98 @ 109.86 - JLKing - 06 A6

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
2LS1's said:
Could have been a bad driver. Here are some times posted on the other forum of bone stock A6's at the track. Since summer is gone is most places(except Arizona) times will really look good. The summer heat really takes its toll on 1/4 times.

12.48 @ 112.11 - LS1LT1- 06 A6
12.61 @ 115.91 - BlownV6 - 06 A6
12.70 @ 112.43 - Jelsis - 06 Z51 A6
12.72 @ 111.98 - SR0707 - 06 A6
12.85 @ 110.00 - Soldsyclone - 06 A6
12.98 @ 109.86 - JLKing - 06 A6
LOL, yea one thing we share is heatsoak. Thanks for the info:burnout:

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
although A6 vette have a 2:56 rear, they make up for it by having a 4:02 first

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
Torkster said:
although A6 vette have a 2:56 rear, they make up for it by having a 4:02 first
Are they as hard to launch as ours? I've beaten two different ones now and both times I was waiting for the flyby that didn't happen.

·
I'd rather be scuba diving.
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another thing that was cool about the guy in the c6 was that his wife was with him.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ironmancan said:
Are they as hard to launch as ours? I've beaten two different ones now and both times I was waiting for the flyby that didn't happen.
In comp mode you will get some tire spin but most of the time it will hook and go! They are NOT hard to launch...just mash the pedal and hold on. The wide rubber helps compared to the thin tires on the goat.

Comparing it to our 04 GTO and my old C5.....it would blow the doors off both of them. The gearing is excellent with the 6 gears.....eliminates the dead spots that hurts the 4 speed autos. From 70mph it will kick down from 6th into 2nd :gears: .

A GTO would need to have some mods to run mid 12's to keep up with one.

·
Omertà
5,305 Posts
cquist said:
Pretty happy but I know it is just a matter of time before I get smoked.
Sure is. :pimp:
Nice kills vs. 3 vettes, Carl. :) Glad to hear you're back on the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts