LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the 2005 C6 Vette going to the 6.0L, will the GTO be the last car sold in the US with a good 'ole chevy 350 under the hood?

·
2005 CGM GTO
1,523 Posts
DevilYellow said:
Its a 346 acctually

Your are right. The LS1 is a completely different engine.

·
2,432 Posts
I wasn’t implying that the old chevy truck 350, the GTO’s LS1, and the CTS-V’s LS6 were all the same engine. I thought 73blazer was making a general reference that the engine the public thinks of as the 5.7 or 350 that has been around for a long time will end with the GTO.

Because of rounding up and down they are all 5.7’s. For the general public the 5.7 is all they see. With the chevy trucks having gone to 5.3’s and 6.0’s and the Vettes going to 6.0’s it does appear that GTO’s and CTS-V’s are all that’s left.

To me the 5.7 is all about GM’s. I am a little disappointed to see GM go with 5.3 and 6.0. It feels like they are forgetting the history of the 5.7. And then Chrysler goes with the 5.7 Hemi. I was hoping Chrysler would make the Hemi a 5.9 and GM would make an entirely new 5.7; then we would get the newest engine design, but everyone can go on thinking they are driving a 5.7 like they always have.

Almost everyone I know could care less the GTO has an LS1 and they don’t know what that means. I usually start off with a “it has a 5.7” about 50% are impressed with that, the other 50% need to hear “it has a Vette engine”.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nikivee said:
And it's not a CHEVY motor. It's a GM Powertrain Engine. Only thing in common with the old Chevy 350 is the bore spacing. Parts are not interchangeable at all. Just because chevy got the LS1 first in the Corvette, does make it a chevy.
I'm not an engine history expert, so please forgive me.
So is the LS1 not even rooted from the 350 from the days of old? Was it developed completely from scratch?

·
2005 CGM GTO
1,523 Posts
New from scratch

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
B/STOCK said:
New from scratch
So the 350 is a long gone motor, aside from Service/Performance parts(aftermarket/Crate) sales, then it seems.

·
2005 CGM GTO
1,523 Posts
73blazer said:
So the 350 is a long gone motor, aside from Service/Performance parts(aftermarket/Crate) sales, then it seems.
Yep

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
AmesGTO said:
Almost everyone I know could care less the GTO has an LS1 and they don’t know what that means. I usually start off with a “it has a 5.7” about 50% are impressed with that, the other 50% need to hear “it has a Vette engine”.
My experience also. They ask, "what engine is that?". Well they are staring right at it. It says frickin' LS1 and 5.7 so I calmly say that it is the Vette engine and they then smile and nod their heads knowingly. Heck 6 months ago I would have been the same way.
:drink: :drink:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just an FYI the '02 the not so glamorous G-Van (full size)was the last of the old school 350.
Ron
'04 GTO Red/Blk(on order)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tails said:
My experience also. They ask, "what engine is that?". Well they are staring right at it. It says frickin' LS1 and 5.7 so I calmly say that it is the Vette engine and they then smile and nod their heads knowingly. Heck 6 months ago I would have been the same way.

I could care less what engine is in there, what I care about are the output specs of the engine. It could say 5.67L, I really could care less.
But, the Corvette statment is valid, if you say this is the engine from a corvette, even people who aren't intimatly famliar with the details of the engine, they are still going to know, big HP, big Torque, light, refined, tested, reliable and best of all, performance befitting a Corvette. So I don't think it's so bad to make that reference.
The only reason I asked the original question was I was telling a co-worker today I had a GTO on order, and his response was "last of the chevy 350's huh"...not knowing the LS1 was actually a ground-up new motor, I was kind-of looking for confirmation of the statement he brought up.
I did, however make the original mistake of assuming the 5.7L must have been rooted upon a 350 motor of yesteryear and simply jumped to chevy 350, and goes from there.

·
2005 CGM GTO
1,523 Posts
I prefer cubic inches over liters. Easier to rhyme in car songs.

Well I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes

For I knew there would be a time

When I would buy a brand new 409

Yeah, my fuel injected Stingray and a four-thirteen

Revvin' up our engines and it sounds real mean

Little GTO, you're really lookin' fine
Three deuces and a four-speed and a 389

Hows that for logic? :)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I feel I'm in heaven when I drive my 5 point seven. Also liter rhyms with peter. That would make an interesting song.

·
Registered
571 Posts
you can rhyme the GTO engine too:
"it has a five point seven that sounds like heaven"

And not to forget about the 'stang:
"the four point six is really the pits"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts