LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Former GOATilicious SEG lover
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just FYI for those getting really excited about hearing about the 0% for 72, it's NOT compatible with the $3500 GMAC money... :bomb:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
miscreant said:
Just FYI for those getting really excited about hearing about the 0% for 72, it's NOT compatible with the $3500 GMAC money... :bomb:

Thanks for that info. I have a call in to my finance manager to see if I could re-do the deal and add some more cash to their profit. Looks like it won't happen. Probably just as well. I'd have hated to lose over $2k in financing while being able to drop my monthly over $100!

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mikesan said:
Thanks for that info. I have a call in to my finance manager to see if I could re-do the deal and add some more cash to their profit. Looks like it won't happen. Probably just as well. I'd have hated to lose over $2k in financing while being able to drop my monthly over $100!
Yes, I was going to have my Pontiac dealership recontract me from a smart buy to a 72 month buy, but alas, somethings are too good to be true.

·
Registered
600 Posts
miscreant said:
Yes, I was going to have my Pontiac dealership recontract me from a smart buy to a 72 month buy, but alas, somethings are too good to be true.

If GM incentives are based on delivery dates, how can a dealer cancel and then rewrite a deal (for the same buyer) weeks later to get better incentives?

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Miss-our-GTO said:
If GM incentives are based on delivery dates, how can a dealer cancel and then rewrite a deal (for the same buyer) weeks later to get better incentives?
Well, I had good reason, they had to recontract me anyway - they screwed up my negative equity contract - twice.

But to answer your question if there is no reason, it still can be done - the reason, what is "the delivery date"? Just as a dealer can recontract, they can also easily change the delivery date. In fact, the "delivery date" is set by the paperwork that is changed anyway.

This is not something that should be done as you could be charged back your incentives, but seeing as GMAC was making them recontract me anyway - - - it would have been nice...

·
What the **** is an internet?
62 Posts
Which is the better deal, the 3500 rebate or the 0% financing? Also is sales tax based on the price before or after rebates.
thanks
Daniel

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
PonchoDan said:
Which is the better deal, the 3500 rebate or the 0% financing? Also is sales tax based on the price before or after rebates.
thanks
Daniel
I just took the 3500 and the 4 year 1.9% financing at the time. I'd rather not have any long term bills and the 3 year 0% was too costly monthly. Either way it will only cost me $500 for the life of the loan which comes to very little when it allows me to own the GTO. Plus in New York state you need full insurance coverage when there is a lean on your car. The less time i have a loan the quicker my insurance is cut in half.

·
I love my Goat!
5,963 Posts
$3500 or 0%

PonchoDan said:
thanks
Daniel
The choice depends. I took the $3500, but only floated the min$6.5k w/ GMAC. After the title clears, etc I will retire the loan ASAP

Look into home equity (that's where the rest of mine came from at 4.5%) or other financing options.

·
Registered
14 Posts
tax

PonchoDan said:
thanks
Daniel

car dealers always tax before rebates. there is more tax profit there. after its taxed, then rebates are applied...thay way...it really does seem like youre note getting as good of a deal as you think...but thats how they do it...i got a 4500 rebate and 2.9% for 60mo...yet i paid over 30thousand for the gto.....i guess it was 4500 rebate from msrp and not the invoice price...Please give some feed back if anybody has any. thanks.

·
Registered
600 Posts
pricksta said:
car dealers always tax before rebates. there is more tax profit there. after its taxed, then rebates are applied...thay way...it really does seem like youre note getting as good of a deal as you think...but thats how they do it...i got a 4500 rebate and 2.9% for 60mo...yet i paid over 30thousand for the gto.....i guess it was 4500 rebate from msrp and not the invoice price...Please give some feed back if anybody has any. thanks.

Car dealers do not tax cars, Governments (State, County, or City) tax cars. In some states the dealers may collect the tax due for the government, in others the tax is paid to the government directly upon registration.

Dealers do not make a "profit" on taxes. The rates are set by the tax authorities and are sent to them.

Some states tax after rebates, such as Massachusetts,

Rebates are deducted from the agreed purchase price.

·
Registered
209 Posts
gm's employee pricing website says 0.0% is available with the rebates. its called + + or something, i have a family member that looked it up at gm in warren. so if you are eligible for employee pricing you should get both, if your not eligible for employee pricing its beggining to sound like dealers outside michigan suck.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Which rebate is available with the 72month 0.0% program?

Excellent chance the rebate (from the web site) that is available is the $1,000 GM Employee Bonus Rebate, which is available on any type of GM Employee deal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would imagine that while you can't get the $3500 rebate with 0%, you can still have them use the value certificates and other things to get a good price.

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pricksta said:
That's completely false. Dealers do not set the taxes, that's handled by the individual state taxing agencies, and differs between states. Some states tax sale price only, some states tax sale price minus rebates, and some states do sale price minus rebates minus trade equity, etc. In fact, some states don't even have taxes (Oregon). In some states it's a sales tax (5.25% - 9%) and in some states its an excise tax (2% - 4%). It all depends on the state where you will register the car. Some states require the dealer to collect the tax and issue the plates, some states make the customer do their own taxes at a local tax agency. But the dealers themselves do not set the tax and do not collect profit on the tax (or they'd have serious issues with the IRS and state agencies).

Also, the rebate is $3500 GMAC money plus if you are GM employee, and extra $1000, but it sounds like you only got $4500 off the car - so $1000 off MSRP net.

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PonchoDan said:
pricksta-I thought the rebate was 3500 how did you get 4500?
It sounds like it was $4500 off msrp, not a $4500 rebate.

·
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
chupa said:
I would imagine that while you can't get the $3500 rebate with 0%, you can still have them use the value certificates and other things to get a good price.
All thing equal, they could use the certificates on the $3500 just as they could on the 0%. Overall, while the 0% for 72 sounds good, it's really not that great of a deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts