LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

Monday, my long awaited day at Putnam Park raceway near Indy is almost here! (what a fathers day!)

I have the list of cars in my group for track times...

3- 350z cars, a Superperformance Cobra, 2- BMW 5 series, and others I can't recall.
I am taking my sticky pod camera mount and I will have some video for everyone if I can figure out how. As of now I will run with stock tires and rims, so I will be watching and checking tire wear and temps, which means I will not mix it up too hard with someone running race tires. I have modded the intake and strut bar, so we will see what happens!

You can check out the race track at Putnampark.com

I hope the stock brakes are up to it!!

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
You'll have to ask DY to post the video for you.

Good Luck!

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
710 Posts
Good luck, and remember that you can do it ;)

i'll be waiting for the videos :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be happy to have another GTO owner there...check the website I listed for directions to the track.

I hope to get video to DY after the sessions....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh, and another thing...I will do it..and the GTO proud!

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
What time you gonna be there?

VelodromeRacer said:
I would be happy to have another GTO owner there...check the website I listed for directions to the track.

I hope to get video to DY after the sessions....
What time you gonna be there?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just returned from the Lotus day!!!

I will get some video clips from my in car camera, DY PM me and let me know where to upload, max size and format type, I will try to get it edited tonight!

Here is the skinny....
In my class, we had 350z, Audi 1.8T with many mods, some Italian ugly thing, a few stripped race BMW 5is, and some very fast Lotus late model Espirit turbos (with a center of gravity at least 2 feet under the track!!)

I ate the 350z pretty easy, the AUdi had a better driver and even with his mods, I used the horses on the one long straight and left him as well! I could keep pace with the Espirits...if they missed their line in the 10 turns!! (I did hang with them, and if I left turn 10 unto the straight perfect with great exit speed, I could stay with them along the straight).

Now the specifics, I have a strut bar, K&N intake and stock tires. The tires still look great, they kept grip pretty well, I took temps on the surface with a laser and they were about 130-140 max at my pit...the car engine temp never rose above where it is normally and laser said block was 267 and exhaust at 300 degrees. The instructors that I let drive the car, LOVED the car, the brakes never really faded, but this track is easy on them if you throttle steer.

I taped up the mirrors, fascia lips and lights and this thing drove as well as some of those with road racing tires and suspension mods!!!

Now I will get the video up......

Cheers

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Great to hear, VR! Honestly, the road racing potential of this car is often overlooked. The '04 GTO is far better suited to road racing than drag racing. I can't WAIT until I can finally get to an SCCA Solo2 event. The weather keeps "dampening" my racing events. (Pun intended.)

Great job with the GTO! Looking forward to vids!

·
Registered
26 Posts
AUTOCROSS:
I have a chance to run with a local car club that sets up autocross coarses in parking lots. I hear it is a lot of fun if don't over-try for fast times. My GTO is stock. Anybody have any knowledge of what to do with tire pressure? I have heard add 10-15 psi over listed max on sidewalls to keep from rolling over on sidewall and possible breaking seal at rim. Also have heard run with 1/2 tank of fuel. Appreciate any pointers between now and Saturday afternoon. M-6 tranny.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Talk to or search jimhoward. He's very active in SCCA.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today I went with 30psi...down from the tire reccomend of 35psi...after my hot laps they read 36 to 38 psi. Your tires will heat up and expand...I don't think you will want to start with much PSI.

I have a video, it is edited and is about 8 minutes long...sounds great. I created it as an mpeg. PM me if you want me to email it to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts