LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Autobahn Fahrer
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was asked that I post this in here for you guys...with a bit more information.

Yesterday while I was cruising home from an official function with the German army, I ran up against a Nissan 350Z. I had just settled into a nice 80mph Cruise Control drive when a 350Z swept past me.

I spend alot of money on gas (I drive 3000 miles per month) and didn't really feel up to using a lot of gas. After a moment of consideration I went ahead and punched the gas moving into the fast lane and gave chase to the Nissan.

The Z and I quietly waited for traffic to clear and it did so right at the beginning of a long straight away. Perfect. We both punched it at the same time from about 100mph and away we went.

The Z in stock form lacks about 90hp on the GTO but also is significantly lighter. Due to the speeds we started at I had given him an appropriate amount of space (Car length and a half) in front of me. We both started pulling hard to the higher speeds. I began pulling on him @ 130mph and @ 140mph the right lane cleared and he swung left. I kept pulling on him up to 150 when we pulled even. It was at this time that it appeared that he reached his physical limit. As I continued on to 165 I was trying to pull in front of him so that if traffic jelled up again he'd be able to slide in behind me with out jamming on the brakes. I bumped the speed limiter @ 165 twice trying to pull ahead. I finally did so and he slunk back in behind me sulking. He never tried to pull on me again and took the next Autobahn interchange.

Most cars are limited to 155mph. I'm glad mine is not.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
The top 3 cars I have been wanting to kill:

1. 350Z
2. G35 coupe
3. Mustang GT

I didn't know the Nissan had that much up on top. I am more impressed with them now.
Good kill. Again, you are privileged because you have access to the Bahn. You will know the goat like none of us ever will.

Good kill while youweremindinyourownbiznez.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Now you just have to get that speed limiter removed, good kill.

·
Expelled
8,316 Posts
desertgoat said:
The top 3 cars I have been wanting to kill:

1. 350Z
2. G35 coupe
3. Mustang GT

I didn't know the Nissan had that much up on top. I am more impressed with them now.
Good kill. Again, you are privileged because you have access to the Bahn. You will know the goat like none of us ever will.

Good kill while youweremindinyourownbiznez.

My 3 are

1.Any punk in a mustang and/or ricer
2.Boxster
3.2004 thunderbird

It will be hard to match up againest the bottom 2 but if i ever do it's on!!!

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Nice kill but we could never hope to achieve those speeds here in the USA unless we were in northern Nevada or Montana. :secret:

·
grinning ever since...
452 Posts
Sigo said:
...snip I bumped the speed limiter @ 165 twice trying to pull ahead... snip.
How "secure" did the goat feel at that speed? My M3 felt just fine at top end of 135, but it was not on a highway?

I saw cars blowing past me last weekend on the autobahn that were easily pushing 130+ and drivers looked rather relaxed.

An astonishing experience it must be.

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
That had to have been a modded 350Z or your cars arent all that up top. I am inclined to go with it being modded. I walked my buddies 350Z with my Ws6 up top and it didnt even seem like a race. Just pulled and pulled. Now the kicker is, I raced the same guy with my lil GTP that now has a couple mods and stayed dead even with him actually pulled ahead of him until about 70ish and he evened back up and we both let off at 95mph. We raced at the top end starting at 90ish and he pulled on me but nothing to write home about. I am very confident the GTO would eat a stock 350 up top...

Needless to say, he didnt want any of my vette...

·
ya im french what of it !
800 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
what new law? where does it apply?
i think its all over the USA but i know in california
anything over 95mph u get arrested and car taken away and fines...

i got my warning beeping thing set to 93 so when it beeps i know im in the danger zone ....
wich sucks cause i hit 100mph just getten on the hiway ramp near my house
everyday.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Wow, nice kill.

Talk about taking the GTO to the limit.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
redgtosamurai said:
Nice kill but we could never hope to achieve those speeds here in the USA unless we were in northern Nevada or Montana. :secret:
I can neither confirm nor deny ever approaching such speeds.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
That had to have been a modded 350Z or your cars arent all that up top...
Our cars are all that up top. I've had no problem with 350Z's EXCEPT their drivers seem to like dodging traffic. I've had two (both silver) "escape" by taking very dangerous evasive manuvers and cutting off other people.

I like to play, but not in traffic.

·
NASA Instructor, MW/GL Region
460 Posts
Very Nice, U Make Me Drool. We Can All Hit That Speed But Cant Maintain It For Very Long For Fear Of Getting Busted. Not To Mention Our Roads S**k!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey All,

350Z owner and Nissan lover here *dodges a tomato intended for his head*

The story sounds abotu right as to what did actually happen. The Z is electronically limited with a speed governor and rev limiter. I'm am not sure if the GTO is and even if it is, the limits might be set higher.

For everyones information, this particular Z was not modded as I have taken my car up to 151 completely stock. Some people on my forum have said that they have actually passed the official 156 mph limit and taken it to 160 mph. There is a company called Techno Square in Torrance Cali that does complete ECU reflashed that can account for all your power related mods and can adjust or eliminate governors and limits. A Japanese tuning shop called "Slip Stream" took their Z to the Nevada desert I believe and took it up to 192 mph before a tire blew and the thing rolled and wrecked (driver walked away, testament not only to the rollcage but the sturdy Z's frame\chassis). This Z ofcourse was heavily modded but it has been said that with the TS Reflash, a stock Z can reach 180+ mph!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts