LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met up with a 350Z weaving through traffic last weekend. The Nissan was having fun with the others on the road.

I let her have a bit of fun until I blasted thru traffic and pulled along side of her at a light. We were 2 cars behind the light and she informed me that I had a nice car. I did likewise.

The light turned green and she beat everyone off the line and I pursued her and once I had an opening I followed suit and passed her easily.

This was totally cool to meet up with a 350z with an experienced driver. Was also fun to beat a 350z.

·
NASA Instructor, MW/GL Region
460 Posts
I don't understand, how could she be first off the line if your 2 cars back? Wouldn't she hit the car in front of her? I'am not flaming u I just don't get it. Please explain.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
No kill story goes unchallenged at LS!GTO.com!

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
mistermike said:
No kill story goes unchallenged at LS!GTO.com!
you got that right....I beat a tricycle off the line last night......any comments? :gr_jest:

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
you got that right....I beat a tricycle off the line last night......any comments? :gr_jest:
We need to see video. :wall:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kfrey1 said:
I don't understand, how could she be first off the line if your 2 cars back? Wouldn't she hit the car in front of her? I'am not flaming u I just don't get it. Please explain.
Make that off the light. She ripped through the congestion gathered at the light trying to show off.

·
Big Pappa
298 Posts
kbaba said:
dmonty - what ever happened with you and that RSX guy? Did you run him?
it's Cl-S guy and i was just thinking the same thing...good kill david....we need to meet soon...i wanna show you my friends cobra...you'll be amazed...damn that car is sick

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
That's nothing, I walked a one legged blind man last night. How did I do this you say(all you dam doubters)? Right from the start I opened my door, kicked his cane out from under him and then I lit his a$$ up.
All the smoke from my tires started to make him cough. He had no chance.
I don't have a video, and I don't care if you believe me. That is the way it
happpend. :gr_jest:

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
That's nothing, I walked a one legged blind man last night. How did I do this you say(all you dam doubters)? Right from the start I opened my door, kicked his cane out from under him and then I lit his a$$ up.
All the smoke from my tires started to make him cough. He had no chance.
I don't have a video, and I don't care if you believe me. That is the way it
happpend. :gr_jest:

:gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest:
You 'da man!!! Can you define "lit his A$$ up" 1, 2, 3, or more car lengths or was it just by a nose???

·
DAAAT'S RIGHT
1,650 Posts
Doc GTO said:
:gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest:
You 'da man!!! Can you define "lit his A$$ up" 1, 2, 3, or more car lengths or was it just by a nose???
I would define "gettin' yo ass lit up" as- A kill in which the victor easily and authoritatively dominates an opponent. An ass whoopin'. "Hey rice. if you run dat GTO, you gonna get yo ass lit up!"

·
Registered
121 Posts
nikivee said:
I test drove a 04 350Z before I bought my 04 GTO. I felt the Z was pretty quick until I test drove the 04 GTO.
I know this is a bit old and I'm going a little off topic but I HAVE to say this...

I just got back from Seattle where I rented a 350Z for 2 days and got to flog it extensivly (they didn't have a Goat and my insurance wouldn't cover loss of service on a Vette). That thing is one of the worst cars I've ever driven. From the ungodly road noise to the stiff steering to the extra heavy clutch, it was AWFUL! The interior and cabin noise is worse than the Corolla S that my buddy owns whom I stayed with. Interstate 5 is pretty bad, and the road noise in that car made me wish I had ear plugs, seriously, if they were in the car I would have put them in, it's louder than some factories I've been in! The dash had some very annoying rattles at only 17K miles. They had just replaced the tires for the tire feathering thing and it had the 3 gear synchro grind problem also. Even the seats sucked, little to no lumbar support. Not ragging and just being honest, the ONLY thing I liked about the car is the looks. EVERYTHING else was a dissapointment. Even the power in the car was unimpressive!

So, good kill. But in my opinion the Goat kills the Z just sitting still. :)

Goat 1, 350Z -2 !

·
Registered
4 Posts
rocoop said:
I know this is a bit old and I'm going a little off topic but I HAVE to say this...

I just got back from Seattle where I rented a 350Z for 2 days and got to flog it extensivly (they didn't have a Goat and my insurance wouldn't cover loss of service on a Vette). That thing is one of the worst cars I've ever driven. From the ungodly road noise to the stiff steering to the extra heavy clutch, it was AWFUL! The interior and cabin noise is worse than the Corolla S that my buddy owns whom I stayed with. Interstate 5 is pretty bad, and the road noise in that car made me wish I had ear plugs, seriously, if they were in the car I would have put them in, it's louder than some factories I've been in! The dash had some very annoying rattles at only 17K miles. They had just replaced the tires for the tire feathering thing and it had the 3 gear synchro grind problem also. Even the seats sucked, little to no lumbar support. Not ragging and just being honest, the ONLY thing I liked about the car is the looks. EVERYTHING else was a dissapointment. Even the power in the car was unimpressive!

So, good kill. But in my opinion the Goat kills the Z just sitting still. :)

Goat 1, 350Z -2 !
I'm a huge Nissan fan as I own both a Sentra (to be S13 Turbo equipped) and an '04 Z so reading this thread sent up a small flag to me. Unfortunately in my case, I can not really pounce on this gentlemans experience with his rented Z (however, where do you get to rent 350Z's. I come up to Seattle all the time for business and I rent from Dollar and Enterprise, they never have the Z's.) The 03's did have quite a few problems on a good portion of their cars such as the tire feathering and tranny problems. However, this didn't stop it from being 2003's Car of the Year. Interstate 5 is nothing compared to the 91 freeway in Cali. I hit speeds up to 152 mph in my Z and it was like we were gliding on ice, smooth as ever. Ofcourse, this is an '04 we're talkign abotu here. so some adjustments by Nissan have been made. As far as the seats are concerned, I think they are great. All of my friends and co-workers who have sat in the Z say the same thing "oh yeah, these seats feel great." I dunno, they seem to hold me in just fine when doing really hard banking\turning. As far as the power, well thats purely subjective. I came from a NA 1.6 automatic so the Z seems like a rocket to me. To my suprise, when I let some of my friends who own 'stangs and camaros ride with me, the first thing that comes out of their mouth when I hit the gas at 28oo- 3k is "Oh 5h1t!!!" Many American muscle car lovers whether classic or modern seem to strictly base the value of the car on the dollar-to-power ratio which is an out of date way of looking at it. The Z is the type of car that is well-balanced and hence, does everythign well i.e. acceleration, braking, cornering, top end speed etc. I don't know alot about the GTO but I doubt if it can do nearly as many of these thigns as well as the Z as a whole.

:zzz:

Z- Z- Z- Z- UNIT!

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
It does everything and more.

It takes the basic formula of dollar to power ratio you mentioned by using the hot-rod LS1 and puts in a much higher quality, better built, more refined car. Drive a Camaro/Trans Am with the same motor and it becomes apparent quickly which one is the sledgehammer and which one is the fine surgical precise instrument.

It's comfortable, has superb seats, is easy to get in and out of, has infintely better build quality, better higher quality materials, sound deadening, but still goes like stink.

And drive a GTO after driving your Z and tell us which car you think is a "rocket". :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
It does everything and more.

It takes the basic formula of dollar to power ratio you mentioned by using the hot-rod LS1 and puts in a much higher quality, better built, more refined car. Drive a Camaro/Trans Am with the same motor and it becomes apparent quickly which one is the sledgehammer and which one is the fine surgical precise instrument.

It's comfortable, has superb seats, is easy to get in and out of, has infintely better build quality, better higher quality materials, sound deadening, but still goes like stink.

And drive a GTO after driving your Z and tell us which car you think is a "rocket". :)
You are right in a couple of regards. I have never seen a drag between a Z and a GTO and have never seen the interior of a GTO. However, saying that the build quality of the GTO being "infinetely" better than the Z may be a bit of a stretch. I love my Z's build quality and I think in general the Z's quality is superb for the ammount of money paid. (again, its an '04 and pretty much all the initial probs from the '03 such as streaking windows and rattling dash all the way to its tire feathering have been properly dealt with). Yet, after watching shows like Motor Trend, it was kind of insulting how they based a legendary American muscle car off of a platform from Holden making the GTO, well, not a unique as it should have been. Unlike the Z. I know that it makes loads of hp and even more torque, but I would have alot more respct for the car in regards to performance is some of those numbers weren't so absorbed by how much the GTO weighs.

Just as you guys would look at the Z and would be insulted to drive a car that isn't a v-8, doesn't make over 350 hp to the crank or 400 lb\ft of torque I could never see myself driving a "sports" car that is that damn heavy, handles like a turtle (compared to many Jap cars) has 4 doors, and looks like an elongated Neon\Cavalier.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Welcome to the board blublur, i hope your not a troll (from your posts i dont believe this to be the case). Anywaym, to answer some of your questions.
The Z is the type of car that is well-balanced and hence, does everythign well i.e. acceleration, braking, cornering, top end speed etc. I don't know alot about the GTO but I doubt if it can do nearly as many of these thigns as well as the Z as a whole.
Although ive never driven the new Z and havent even been in one for long I still believe that the GTO has all the bases covered, even compared with the Z. Unlike other american muscle cars the GTO wasnt made in america (im assuming you already know this) also the monaro's past wasnt as a straight line performer but as a road racer (i.e. Bathurst). As a result its handling is infact pretty good. Like other LS1 cars, this GTO is capable of rapid acceleration and have a very strong top end (it should since its spec is closer to the vette). Again unlike many american muscle cars (from what ive heard) the GTO has excellent seats and great interiors.

Check this link out..........its not a GTO but close enough. The car tested is infact UK's version of the GTO. If your a rev head then youll like this.
http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/Top_Gear_Monaro_lo.wmv

BTW im not trying to dis the Z. For me anything thats related to the 240 definately deserve respect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Monaro for the info. When I fly back home I'll check out the link (the comps up here at work in the Seattle office suck). I hope that other people can understadn me jumping in when that guy was giving the negative info about the Z. Unfortunately, alot of the stuff he was saying was probabaly true about his rental (even though I find it hard to believe there is a rental Z out there. I've been to 3 different rental companies here Thrifty, Enterprise and Dollar and none of them have Z's.) However, when he said that the Z's power was unimpressive and the GTO would kill a Z standing still, I had to react (ofcourse in a civilized manner, I couldn't be any other way *said with a posh English accent*) Bottomline, is that I have to do more research on these cars to find out more about them and I encourage other people whether on this board or not to research about the Z or any other car they may be curious about.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
BluBlur said:
You are right in a couple of regards. I have never seen a drag between a Z and a GTO and have never seen the interior of a GTO. However, saying that the build quality of the GTO being "infinetely" better than the Z may be a bit of a stretch. I love my Z's build quality and I think in general the Z's quality is superb for the ammount of money paid. (again, its an '04 and pretty much all the initial probs from the '03 such as streaking windows and rattling dash all the way to its tire feathering have been properly dealt with). Yet, after watching shows like Motor Trend, it was kind of insulting how they based a legendary American muscle car off of a platform from Holden making the GTO, well, not a unique as it should have been. Unlike the Z. I know that it makes loads of hp and even more torque, but I would have alot more respct for the car in regards to performance is some of those numbers weren't so absorbed by how much the GTO weighs.

Just as you guys would look at the Z and would be insulted to drive a car that isn't a v-8, doesn't make over 350 hp to the crank or 400 lb\ft of torque I could never see myself driving a "sports" car that is that damn heavy, handles like a turtle (compared to many Jap cars) has 4 doors, and looks like an elongated Neon\Cavalier.
The GTO does NOT have 4 doors. How can you even say a word about the GTO when you think it has 4 doors? Obviously you haven't got a clue.

I'm not insulted by the idea of driving the Z or a car that lacks a V8. I rather liked the Z. And the Evo and STi for that matter. It just wasn't what I wanted / needed at this time in my life. But then, neither is the GTO, but I liked the GTO better.

How can you call the Z unique? It's a powerful, lightweight, coupe. Same as many others out there. It has a STRONG resemblance to cars that came before it (300ZX, hello, have you heard of it?). The GTO looks like a Pontiac. It's supposed to. The Z looks like a Z. It's supposed to.

Oh and as far as not being able to respect a car because of its weight, here's something you'll probably understand. Nissan Skyline R34. 3968lbs. Tell me that's a car you don't respect.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
I think you're confusing "Z's" Blu. I was referring to that of my Z28.

However, I would still put the GTO on par or better than a 350Z. It honestly, truly is THAT good. Go read some of the automotive press articles about it.

First thing they comment on usually goes like this..."This isn't a standard GM quality interior!"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts