LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
vetteman
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wandering if the 350z have 300 hp and they are a smaller car than our goats how are we able to smoke em like they are a stock cavelier. i thought they were pretty fast cars i was gonna buy one at one point but then i drove the goat at the drive in vegas and bought it the next day.

·
9 Second Club
14,781 Posts
air86 said:
hey i was wandering if the 350z have 300 hp and they are a smaller car than our goats how are we able to smoke em like they are a stock cavelier. i thought they were pretty fast cars i was gonna buy one at one point but then i drove the goat at the drive in vegas and bought it the next day.
Common problem people seem to have is comparing apples to oranges. Manufacturer horsepower ratings are not rear wheel horsepower ratings. Drivetrains suck power away and the ultimate measure is what is being put to the wheels.

So when you come in here saying they have 300 hp what you are really saying is that they are putting something in the neighborhood of 230-250 or less to the wheels. That is 30-40 less than a stock 04 and 90-100 or more less than a stock 05/06. I realize those deltas are the same for the flywheel rated horsepower of the cars as well but mods really start making the difference when they get more power to the wheels, like a custom tune for instance.

Then there is torque to get the excess weight moving and finally driveability issues like launching. When our cars were new the 350's and lots of others were killing us because we didn't know how to launch them and hadn't modded them at all. The landscape is changed now with lots of aftermarket assists like airbags and single piece driveshafts out for our cars plus a lot more experienced drivers and a bigger knowledgebase. We are using the torque to advantage now, read some of the cam posts and arguements on when and where the torque needs to be.

At 415 rwhp/362 rwtq I've had a problem with a 350z that was supercharged launching from an 80 mph roll. I think I would have had less of a problem if I had my stock gears in it though and I would have no concerns about running him from a dig.

These are just my opinions, I'm not claiming them to be facts, just my thoughts on your question.

·
GTO went bye-bye
1,455 Posts
they are close competition for a bone stock 04, with the GTO getting the edge if the driver knows what he's doing (which i don't).

my buddy has an 03 Z and we go to the local 1/8th all the time. his car is running an intake and exhaust, mine has an intake and a tune. our best runs are always within a couple thousandths of one-another.

LS2 GTOs shouldn't have a problem eating one alive, though

Mike

·
vetteman
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whiteboyslo said:
they are close competition for a bone stock 04, with the GTO getting the edge if the driver knows what he's doing (which i don't).

my buddy has an 03 Z and we go to the local 1/8th all the time. his car is running an intake and exhaust, mine has an intake and a tune. our best runs are always within a couple thousandths of one-another.

Mike
yea i have an 05 gto and im afraid to run one on the street cause they look like a fast car with little work really zoomy but now im huntin haha

·
Slow Guy, Fast Car
1,067 Posts
I've actually had two of them have a go at me at lights. I left one so badly behind that he wouldn't even look at me at the next light. The next one was a bit more interesting but I still left him for dead. He came up at the next light with a big smile and giving thumbs up. That was pretty cool.

·
GM Parts Guy Will this fix it
1,102 Posts
We have beat these things to death on this board:judge: A stock 04 will kill these things

·
Incognito
1,433 Posts
Torque is what gets you moving, hp enables you to maintain speed. Those V6s just can't compete without two more cylinders.

·
Registered
109 Posts
whiteboyslo said:

Mike
From what i've seen so far, unless the 350Z is running forced induction, an 04 GTO will walk away from a 350Z. I raced one with cam work, intake, aftermarket headers, and no cats, and beat him by several cars from a dead stop and walked him by a car from a 40mph roll. The other two times I raced a stock Z, it wasnt even close.

Zs may look nice on paper against the 04s, but the A4 04s have too much power down low, and are absolutely evil in second and third gear.

·
Z PoPo
668 Posts
Where do you live, I can be your first 350Z death.

I only race at the track though.:)

·
Just here for the infractions
275 Posts
I test drove a 350Z the same day I test drove the GTO. Not sure what package the 350Z was, but it didn't matter to me that the car was only "fast enough" because the interior and seats/feeling was completely unacceptable. THEN I got in the GTO and it destroyed that Z on all levels.

·
Twitchin'
208 Posts
Yeah...no worries on the 350's unless they are heavily modded. When my '04 was bone stock, I not only stopped a ricer fly-by from a Z, but I made him look like he dropped a boat anchor out the back when I downshifted to 2nd and stabbed it.:gears: When I slowed back down and he finally creeped by, his girlfriend looked pretty amused by the whole ordeal...he just looked ahead, totally pissed!:ftw:

Now with the '06, I really have no fear of the Z...unless they have dumped half of what the car cost back into go-fast mods.

Cheers!

·
Registered
582 Posts
zeroevidence said:
I test drove a 350Z the same day I test drove the GTO. Not sure what package the 350Z was, but it didn't matter to me that the car was only "fast enough" because the interior and seats/feeling was completely unacceptable. THEN I got in the GTO and it destroyed that Z on all levels.
ditto.

i did the same thing. i drove the 350Z the day i drove the GTO --no comparison. the Z is not impressive overall for what you get at that price level. sure, it has the looks and it handles tight. but when i got on it hard, went through the gears with intent on accelerating forcefully, i was very disappointed in it's powerband. i was bored.

and the GTO's interior is just heaven in comparison to the Z's. besides, the Z is a girl's car and is seen multiple times per day here in LA, as is the G35 --there are actually more G35s than Zs. just too many. yes, they are Nissan's bread and butter sellers. they're great cars. but really not for me.

i'm waiting for the GTR. that's a car.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

Me 3.

The G-35 has a much better interior than the Z though, but I agree with all of the above sentiments, and after sitting in a Z, I refused a test ride.

The G-35 was very nice, but the Goat...well, you know.

·
probably doesn't like you
497 Posts
My friend has an '03 350 with intake and exhaust and I raced him with my Ion Redline from a 50 mph roll and we stayed DEAD even through 4th gear, so I really hope that my '04 Goat doesn't have any problems with him now. That would be kind of depressing!

·
Custom User Title
1,828 Posts
I have raced a Z and totally killed it. No match at all.
He started the race - he was in front at a traffic light after running next to me and playing with the throttle.....

He pulled off gunning it......I was about 1 car behind in 1st, at the top of second I was a nose ahaid, and in third it was finished.......

·
GTO went bye-bye
1,455 Posts
napoleon123 said:
From what i've seen so far, unless the 350Z is running forced induction, an 04 GTO will walk away from a 350Z. I raced one with cam work, intake, aftermarket headers, and no cats, and beat him by several cars from a dead stop and walked him by a car from a 40mph roll. The other two times I raced a stock Z, it wasnt even close.

Zs may look nice on paper against the 04s, but the A4 04s have too much power down low, and are absolutely evil in second and third gear.

1) i'm M6, so that may or may not be a factor

2) he's a very experienced (relative to me) drag racer. i'm lucky if i don't sit there and spin like crazy. my best ET to date is 9.036 at just over 80.

3) really only interested in timeslips vs "kills". not flaming. just find "kill" stories a little too.....fudgeable

Mike

·
GM Parts Guy Will this fix it
1,102 Posts
VeeTec said:
Where do you live, I can be your first 350Z death.

I only race at the track though.:)
Yea, Your not stock :sneaky: A stock Z won't hang with a stock GTO.

·
3,256 Posts
350Z:SAE Net Torque @ RPM 260~274 @ 4800
Curbweight: 3188 lbs.

The LS2s put down 400 lb/ft @ 4,000 rpm and the LS1 puts down 365 lb/ft @ 4,000 rpm
GTO curb weight is 3,725 lbs.

Granted gearing and other factors contribute, but the 350Z has a 100-140 lb/ft of torque disadvantage. That is sometimes hard to overcome.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Scott said:
We have beat these things to death on this board:judge: A stock 04 will kill these things
I know alot of '04 A4 owners that struggle to get into the 13's stock. A well driven 6-speed 350Z can hang for a little while with a stock '04 A4. Of course mod for mod the 5.7 will easily win that race. The Z's and G35's were tuned very well from the factory so the best route for them mods wise is forced induction.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
air86 said:
yea i have an 05 gto and im afraid to run one on the street cause they look like a fast car with little work really zoomy but now im huntin haha
I disagree, supercharged ones are still in the 13s. They don't respond well to mods at all. Not to mention it is ungodly ugly. I would rather take the g35.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts