LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
High Octane User
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been asked more than once.....
3M clear Bra. I am looking for a reputable shop in the Redmond area. Once I get the Goat back from the paint shop I want to get the nose protected.
Any pointers/recomendations welcome.

Thx-
MC

·
GTO Goodwill Ambassador
2,498 Posts
I got mine done at Stonegard in Bellevue, but last time I drove by they were no longer there. Don't know if they moved or just went out of business. I'll be looking to replace mine as well since I'm getting a new hood, so if you find another location, let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's officially called Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film Solutions. I purchased mine through my dealer when I bought my car new. I wish I didn't, but I am scheduling my appointment with Auto Trim Design for either this Saturday or next. www.autotrimseattle.com

According to 3M's site there are about 39 Certified Installers in WA. You can narrow the search down to city as well.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For_the/Consumer/Find_Installer/

I suggest getting quotes for sections you want protected. Every installer will quote a different price but ball park should be between $699 - $750.

·
High Octane User
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
06SRMGTO said:
It's officially called Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film Solutions. I purchased mine through my dealer when I bought my car new. I wish I didn't
Is the regret just a price issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
MAC said:
Is the regret just a price issue?
Yes. The dealer marks it up a bit. I am sure I could have worked out a better price with a smaller installer. I originally thought I'd have the 3M protection film on before it left the dealership. But the Dealer had Auto Trim send a driver to the dealership to drive it down to their shop in Southcenter and then drive it back. I wasn't having any of that especially when it had 8 miles on it. I thought the installer would come up and do it at the dealership. So, I am not really getting my money's worth purchasing it from the dealer. The only value I am getting is the dealership recommends they do good work and I purchased it through them so I can complain to the dealership if I am not happy with the work. I don't expect this to be an issue since this is one of the bigger 3M installers that have been around for years and likely not going to mess up dealership work.

Since you just got paint work done, I would suggest calling and talking to the certified installer. There is a period of time that 3M recommends newly painted panels should harden before they will apply the 3M film. I talked to the installer today and quizzed him about a bunch of questions. I have already forgetten the period you should wait after freshly painted panels cause it didn't apply to me. I ask if I could clay my car and he did say I could if I wanted. They clean and prep the area and remove any polish where they are applying the film anyways. I can't vouch for Auto Trim's work yet but the installer did tell me they are the biggest installer of 3m protection film in the Seattle area. He says they do about 250 cars a month. I can't say if that's good or bad but at least all of their certified installers have a lot of experience.

·
GTO Goodwill Ambassador
2,498 Posts
I seem to recall being told it's best if the paint has cured a good 6 months. Mine was originally installed a full year after my car's build date. I'll probably wait until next spring before I do it again.

·
High Octane User
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Crisisman said:
I seem to recall being told it's best if the paint has cured a good 6 months. Mine was originally installed a full year after my car's build date. I'll probably wait until next spring before I do it again.
My wording was off earlier. The paint work was on the passenger side ground effect moulding. Apparently something chipped it, I didn't catch it before I drove off the lot but they still fixed it at no cost.
A damn stand up deal in my view.
I plan on checking a few local shops out that I trust for the 3m treatment. Don't want to drop it of/have someone else drive it. Felt really wierd when I got it back from the paint shop and they had put 23 miles on it (between dealer and shop). I have been the only driver (purchased with 4 miles on it) and it has been the only new car I have shelled money out for....it felt used....had to give a bath :p
Anyway...Thanks for the tips.

MAC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts