LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else out there not happy with the results of their 3M clear bra? Had mine installed today by a "so called" professional installer. Upon returning home, i gave it a good look. I noticed a lot of smear marks and white specks. These were most definitly not on the paint before the install. The car has only 1400 miles and is detailed regularly, believe me, i would know if there were any pant chips. Having traded in my '04 for an '06 and knowing what the front of the '04 looked like after 22,000 miles i figured this a wise investment( $900 ). Am i panicing or should this go back to the installer on monday? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just go back. Are the flakes under the bra? I was lucky enough though to get recommendations (from here) first from some guys locally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, under the bra. Your right, should have researched better before chosing from one of the 3 recomended installers off 3M's website

·
Registered
208 Posts
johnnywalker said:
yes, under the bra. Your right, should have researched better before chosing from one of the 3 recomended installers off 3M's website
Well my recs came from guys with GTOs that already had theirs done. They'll have to reapply it I would think. At least they're not scratches. Your price seems in line. Mine included a full tint as well but I had him do the rear painted panels (where the mud slings ups from the wheels)as well as a small part of the rockers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seams like nothing is ever easy. Tried to get this guy to do my rockers as well, was told it was too narrow an area. Not complaining about the price, just was expecting better results. thanks for your thoughts.

·
Blown By Maggie
2,443 Posts
johnnywalker said:
Anyone else out there not happy with the results of their 3M clear bra? Had mine installed today by a "so called" professional installer. Upon returning home, i gave it a good look. I noticed a lot of smear marks and white specks. These were most definitly not on the paint before the install. The car has only 1400 miles and is detailed regularly, believe me, i would know if there were any pant chips. Having traded in my '04 for an '06 and knowing what the front of the '04 looked like after 22,000 miles i figured this a wise investment( $900 ). Am i paniking, or should this go back to the installer on monday? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
It will take a few weeks for all the water and soap suds to disappear. Also try to keep it out in the sun to let it cure. All mine have steeked,lines,bubbles under the bra it will go away. Dont Panic.... Take it back if you want but I am sure the installer will tell you the same thing. When Windows get tinted it take a few day for it cure as well. The clear bra because it is 8-10 mils thick take a lot longer.

[

Attachments

·
I hate NASCAR
788 Posts
+1 ^^^ If your car is dark like my PBM, it will show these white splotchy specs for several days until all of the moisture underneath evaporates. Should be fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree with what others have said. A lot of the bubbles and imperfections will go away. Unless the specs you see are particles of dirt, then he obviously didn't keep the area clean while working and they will be under there until the bra comes off.

I would be a little leary of the guy's work if he said he couldn't do the rockers. I had mine done and the guy did an excellent job. I know a lot of other people that had their rockers done too.

·
Show me your Headers
324 Posts
It is the same with any clear film. Window tint is the same way. It takes a few days to a week in the sun to cure out, don't panic. The Invisigard headlight protection I put on looked like crap for about a day. I thought abot pulling it off it looked so bad. Now it is crystal clear.

·
Welcome to the Dark Side
439 Posts
This is probably a newb question, but can you routinely wash your vehicle with the 3m product without fear of it coming off?

·
Registered
231 Posts
StreetSleepR said:
This is probably a newb question, but can you routinely wash your vehicle with the 3m product without fear of it coming off?
Absolutely. Beyond just washing it myself, I've run my car through many an automatic car wash and no troubles at all.

·
Baby Elvis FTW!
736 Posts
I have a white trailblazer with it and I wouldn't put it on another white vehicle. It's only been on there a few months and it's already yellow. I don't think the yellow would show on my PBM goat.

·
Blown By Maggie
2,443 Posts
2005Goat said:
I have a white trailblazer with it and I wouldn't put it on another white vehicle. It's only been on there a few months and it's already yellow. I don't think the yellow would show on my PBM goat.
Yellow !!! Man I would take the trailblazer back to whoever sold it/installed it LLumar the ClearBra I got has a lifetime warranty and guarantees the Film won't affect your painted finish. It won't bubble crack, peel or turn yellow. I think 3m offers the same.

http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/auto-paint.html

·
Incognito
1,433 Posts
Ouch, $9 Bills seems like a lot. If it is indeed dirt under the film, take it back. You are the consumer and you should be 100% happy with the final product.

·
Administrator
20,427 Posts
I paid $200 when I had mine done....$900 seems like a rip.
It also looked perfect from day one, but I admit I dont know much about the process.

·
Blown By Maggie
2,443 Posts
Steel Chicken said:
I paid $200 when I had mine done....$900 seems like a rip.
It also looked perfect from day one, but I admit I dont know much about the process.
Full kits that I have seen run anywhere between 250-300 the installation is what gets you. The LLumar kit for our car is one of the most complete kits out there. I had mine custom made with no relief cuts. The cool part was that the LLumar rep came out and help my installer do my car. It was the first 05 GTO that they had made the kit for. Best part was since it was a pilot car for them the installation was free. But I have seen around here guys getting Kits + installation anywhere from $750-$1200. The Labor and the rates some of these places are charge is what really kills.

·
I hate NASCAR
788 Posts
Couple points here, first your clear bra should not be yellowed in just a few months. If it is, the film is not 3M or other high quality films that are warrantied for a minimum of 5 years or more.
Second point is actually a technique that my installer used on a pesky bubble that would not settle down. He used a medical type needle and syringe to poke a hole into the bubble and suck out the air, moisture or dirt particle trapped underneath. Worked perfectly with no evidence at all of any puncture. Film looks perfect.

·
The Dude
441 Posts
Chief D said:
It is the same with any clear film. Window tint is the same way. It takes a few days to a week in the sun to cure out, don't panic. The Invisigard headlight protection I put on looked like crap for about a day. I thought abot pulling it off it looked so bad. Now it is crystal clear.
:mswerd:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took the car back today. He agreed that there was dirt under bra. Obviously, he will be installing all new pieces. This time i'm gonna hang around and make sure they take their time. Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson. If they can't get it right 2nd time, i'll be refunded and take it elsewhere. Also, $900 is not that bad considering the amount of protection. This is my 2nd GTO, the front of the '04 was terrible.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts