LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to spend a few hundred dollars on my GTO, I was thinking perhaps an intake or a catback. Does anyone have a suggestion or advice to share on what the best products are in those categories? I want the car to remain reasonable for the highway, but I wouldn't mind it if were a bit louder - I love the car's sound.

Also, does anyone make a carbonfiber kit for the center stack? I think that would dress the interior up nicely.

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
Unlike most vehicles, the GTO does not benefit very much from an aftermarket exhaust. Unless you go with headers (more than $400). I don't remember even seeing any exhausts for $400. People are seeing the same benefits from an intake that they do from an exhaust.

My personal thoughts are that an exhaust isn't necessary until after you get to about 300 whp. The benefits just aren't really there.

Bob

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
BobthePhotoGuy said:
Unlike most vehicles, the GTO does not benefit very much from an aftermarket exhaust. Unless you go with headers (more than $400). I don't remember even seeing any exhausts for $400. People are seeing the same benefits from an intake that they do from an exhaust.

My personal thoughts are that an exhaust isn't necessary until after you get to about 300 whp. The benefits just aren't really there.

Bob
Some of these cars are dynoing over 300rwhp stock so what would you suggest in that case?

·
Puppy Power!!
1,693 Posts
phobos512 said:
Some of these cars are dynoing over 300rwhp stock so what would you suggest in that case?
I'm no expert on the GTO (only had it for 2 weeks) and have been out of touch with the V8's (been driving turbo and supercharged 4 cylinder cars for the last 6 years or so), I'm just going by the info I've read and what knowledge I've gained over the years.

Borla claims 8-12 (?) hp increase with their catback, same basic range as most catbacks. Would you rather pay out ~$1000 for a 4% increase or use the money for other mods that will yield a higher gain.

I seem to remember reading about an individual that installed a supercharger and dyno'd with the stock exhaust, then added an aftermarket exhaust (I think it was the Loudmouth) and still only gained ~15hp from the exhaust. Where as I've seen individuals install the long tube headers and gain 30-40 hp on the stock exhaust and stock engine. That tells me that the bottleneck in the exhaust is not the catback, but more likely the exhaust manifolds and cats.

My personal plan, if I choose to mod my GTO, is going to be headers and cats first (after an intake). Then maybe a supercharger. I might do a turbo setup instead (still have a while til I do much to the car, so I'm still researching).

Peruse through the posts here and on other boards, read everything you can about what people are getting from different mods. Don't follow just one persons advice, or one shops advice, but build your own impressions from what others have accomplished.

I would start with intake, it's pretty inexpensive and easy to do. Then start saving your money and do the research and come up with a plan as to what you want to do next. Possibly just some dyno time with a good tuner (can get you another 10-20 hp).

Use the info on this list and learn from what other people have already done. Most of all, have fun and don't get into trouble! :eek2:

Bob

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, I bought the extended warrenty so I'm extra careful about modding the car because I want to be able to have any problems covered obviously. I guess I'll sift through some of the older threads and see if I can get a consensus on what's the best intake.

How much louder would headers make the car? Is that normally a warranty killer?

Thanks again, your postings make having the car more fun :burnout:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
derdave said:
Thanks for the advice, I bought the extended warrenty so I'm extra careful about modding the car because I want to be able to have any problems covered obviously. I guess I'll sift through some of the older threads and see if I can get a consensus on what's the best intake.

How much louder would headers make the car? Is that normally a warranty killer?

Thanks again, your postings make having the car more fun :burnout:
run a search on "warranty" and you will find more then enough info

SUMMARY: the magnuson moss act does protect the consumer and makes it the dealers responsibility to PROVE that a modification is directly responsible for the malfunction. but it is still a gamble. the best thing to do is find an SM who is reasonable and respectable before you start modding.

but if you do headers, you can pretty much assume that your exhaust warranty is VOIDED.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts