LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 m6 and imlooking to get 450 or more at my rear wheels and i was wondering what do i need to do if i want to keep it N/A and not worry about blowing up? like what would be the best parts to get or would it be easier to find a package kinda thing somewhere and go that route?

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Off FTI's (Flowtech) website:

The "StreetSweeper"
LSX Hydraulic Roller Camshaft Kit

Specs: 236*-240*-111*-.630"-.610"

04 GTO M6 - Stock shortblock - ETP 215 heads - Kooks headers - 475 RWHP

·
Eco Friendly
3,762 Posts
My LS1 is at 439rwhp and 400rwtq SAE with cats, 2.5" core mufflers, and unported FAST 90 intake. I also have a little more A/F tuning to complete.

After the ported intake, off-road pipes, better flowing mufflers, and finalized tune I hope to be much closer to 450rwhp. A lot of people claim 10 to 15rwhp just on the ported intake with larger cams.

I'm running the StreetSweeper camshaft with the specs above, AFR 205 heads, and 1 3/4 Kooks.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Getting my check book out. I want to get 500fwhp. 450 at the wheels would definatly produce this for me.

Sorry, I was joking about the check book. I'm broke till spring.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
GTO_Scott said:
My LS1 is at 439rwhp and 400rwtq SAE with cats, 2.5" core mufflers, and unported FAST 90 intake. I also have a little more A/F tuning to complete.

After the ported intake, off-road pipes, better flowing mufflers, and finalized tune I hope to be much closer to 450rwhp. A lot of people claim 10 to 15rwhp just on the ported intake with larger cams.

I'm running the StreetSweeper camshaft with the specs above, AFR 205 heads, and 1 3/4 Kooks.
With your set-up, you would likely be at or over 450rwHP at sea level....

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
SLED28 said:
Ive done a AFR 205 head with a 230/234, 1 7/8 headers on a camaro and it made 451rwhp!
Six speed, or auto?:stickpoke

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
SLED28 said:
Ive done a AFR 205 head with a 230/234, 1 7/8 headers on a camaro and it made 451rwhp!
We've made over 500 with the StreetSweeper and a set of ETP 225 heads in an LS1 C5 vette... But that's not the car in question here either... He's got a GTO...

Ed

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i have a six speed and are you saying that with The "StreetSweeper"
LSX Hydraulic Roller Camshaft Kit alone with kooks headers they made 475 at the wheels or is that with a different head package or does that kit come with a head package?

·
Engine Builder
70 Posts
Black Devil said:
Six speed, or auto?:stickpoke
Six speed, with a wicked 'under the curve' power with the small 205 ports.

Ed: just giving examples of what other combinations are capable of. Noticed I put the cam specs in there, i'm not hiding anything and no tricks.

·
Eco Friendly
3,762 Posts
04goat350 - you're going to look at an entire package that works together. For 450rwhp SAE in our LS1 346 CID GTOs (Vettes and F-Bodies show higher rwhp #s btw) you're going to be looking at:

Good aftermarket heads in the $2200+ range
Compression ratio for your camshaft (11:1 likely)
Long tube 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 headers with performance cats or cat delete tubes
Underdrive crank pulley
Large camshaft like the StreetSweeper 236*-240*-111*-.630"-.610"
FAST 90mm intake
90mm throttle body
matching air intake setup that is 90mm or 4"
aftermarket pushrods
high flowing aftermarket catback exhaust system
complete custom tune to match all of the above (Not a generic handheld canned tune)

Someone that knows how to install all of the above and takes the time to check important items like piston to valve clearance, pushrod length and lifter preload, cam degree so it's installed as recommended, etc

I highly recommend you work with someone like Ed Curtis at Flowtech and match all of the parts that you'll be buying for this combo. Otherwise you're going to end up below your goals and not happy with all the money you spent on parts that don't match. Also, don't blindly follow hp and tq listed in advertisements - look at real world numbers and keep in mind our GTOs tend to show less rear wheel horsepower and torque than a Covrvette or F-Body.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
It's time to do my homework. And get a tab running on performance parts.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Getting an LS7 clutch this winter. I think I will invest in a set of 3.73's, and BMR axles, and stubs. What drive shaft should I go with?

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Easier with more CI to make 450+rwhp.

408 GTOs have made 460-485 rwhp with an 4L60, one T56 GTO made 530rwhp with ET heads.

·
Eco Friendly
3,762 Posts
Black Devil said:
Getting an LS7 clutch this winter. I think I will invest in a set of 3.73's, and BMR axles, and stubs. What drive shaft should I go with?
Opinions differ, so take mine with a grain of salt.

LS7 - stock clutch, not sure you'll be happy racing it with 450rwhp. I run a Texerila with billet steel flywheel and I see a 20-25% power loss at 5,800 feet above sea level

3.73 gears - very little gain over 3.46 stockers, with 6 speed go 3.91s

BMR axles and stubs - unless you plan on running slicks with 1.6 60', I'd wait on these and just make sure your stock axles bolts have threadlocker and torqued to specs.

Driveshaft - I run the 3.5" BMR, but think the stock would be fine. Replace it if you have problems.

Seems like you are going cheap on the clutch and spending $3k on the rear end. I'd go the opposite direction first.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I will be upgrading the bolts on the stock axles. Thought about the 3.91's. Was not sure about the streetability of the car with a nice cam and heads, plus those gears. As far as the clutch. I really have no idea. Any info offered is apriciated. I was deciding on the LS7 clutch due to the complaints I've heard about the spec clutches. I am not sure. I can install anything. I just do not know alot, or enough about these LSx engines, and the GTO drive trains.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
SLED28 said:
Six speed, with a wicked 'under the curve' power with the small 205 ports.
Do a search on the packages I provide. Average power is the goal. Not high HP numbers in a signature.

Ed: just giving examples of what other combinations are capable of. Noticed I put the cam specs in there, i'm not hiding anything and no tricks.
Cam specs are provided on the Streetsweeper grind too. They are all over this site because the cam works! Many shops have installed this camshaft and seen tremdous results. Unlike some people from LS1Toke.com... I don't use "tricks" to pump up the numbers...

Ed

·
Registered
414 Posts
Black Devil said:
I will be upgrading the bolts on the stock axles. Thought about the 3.91's. Was not sure about the streetability of the car with a nice cam and heads, plus those gears. As far as the clutch. I really have no idea. Any info offered is apriciated. I was deciding on the LS7 clutch due to the complaints I've heard about the spec clutches. I am not sure. I can install anything. I just do not know alot, or enough about these LSx engines, and the GTO drive trains.

you'll be fine far as streetability. As a contrast, I have a friend of mine running a 396 stroker LT1, 12.5-1 cr, 230 something cam at 50 with over 600 lift, with a 6 speed, and 4.20 gears, and had it tuned perfectly, the car runs awesome, great street maners, he runs AC with it, no problem....I think with our LSx motors, you'll even be better off than he is...hey plus my BB camaro is a full street car, with carb, no issues... :p you'll be ok :) DO IT! :D

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Black Devil said:
Thought about the 3.91's. Was not sure about the streetability of the car with a nice cam and heads, plus those gears.
The car will be easier to drive on the street with 3.91 gears using aggressive cam, really the only reason why my 402 is streetable, if not for 3.91 gears i'd have to go 70+mph on the highway to hit 6th gear. I can cruise all day 60mph no cam surge 22mpg 1800rpm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts