LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, (sorry DY, I have to do it)....I just wanna compare the 03 Cobra to the 04 GTO's. As most know, the 03 Cobra has 4V/cylinder and the GTO only 2V/cylinder. Now, when modding these two vehicles, will the effect of the mods as you begin to become more and more serious become exponential or will they stay relatively equal?

Basically im asking, when modding, will the results (take FI for example) be exponential compared to the 2V or would they both benefit about the same amount?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Cobra with the boltons ,a lightning pulley, and the ported stock blower housing will probably make 500hp easy to the wheel. Its hard to compare the Goat to this car. To make that kind of power to the wheel with the Goat, you'll have to do alot to get those numbers. Cam and heads and a stroker on top of that. Maybe a nitrous kit. He can make more power easily. And he still can upgrade to a KB blower. The skies the limit for him.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
From what I read (not much, but some) I thought that the blown cobra was pretty much at it's limit for HP. The GTO on the other hand, still had a chance to get blown, there was a lot of potential for the Goat. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You were misinformed. I have seen 03 Cobra's getting close to 600rwHP on stock internals AND stock fuel systems....not entirely safe, but it has been done....on numerous occassions. Man, why can't Ford make an up-to-date, not falling apart at the seams, beast.....? Or GM for that matter :) Yes, the GTO does qualify under most of these categories, but the aftermarket potential just isnt as great as with these Cobra's. Gotta love both for what they can do tho....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ford has unofficially rated the stock block in the Cobra at close too 1000hp. Remember this engine is hand built by two SVT workers. It has all the excellent aftermarket parts in it from the factory. A number of 9 second Cobras exist with boost on the stock block, some have NOS. Even more unbelievable one or two owners were looking for catalytic converters that would flow for 800rwhp. And he'll make those numbers with a 281ci.

·
Registered
15 Posts
GTOkid said:
You were misinformed. I have seen 03 Cobra's getting close to 600rwHP on stock internals AND stock fuel systems....not entirely safe, but it has been done....on numerous occassions. Man, why can't Ford make an up-to-date, not falling apart at the seams, beast.....? Or GM for that matter :) Yes, the GTO does qualify under most of these categories, but the aftermarket potential just isnt as great as with these Cobra's. Gotta love both for what they can do tho....
He can make easily over 600rwhp with just the Kennebell Twinscrew alone. Then the option remains about a stroker kit, a CNC head swap, or four custom cams. As said before the skies the limit. Think about it like this: A built 5.0 stroker two valve, a CNC head with blower cams and 15lbs of boost can make 670rwhp. Not done all the time, but can be done with a regular built GT.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But for the amount of performance you get out of the cams and heads for the price is NOT worth it. As compared to the LS1 where this is a lot cheaper, doing this to the DOHC motor would most likely be done at the very end when trying to get every last bit of HP out of the car. Other than that, it's just not worth the money...

·
Registered
15 Posts
GTOkid said:
But for the amount of performance you get out of the cams and heads for the price is NOT worth it. As compared to the LS1 where this is a lot cheaper, doing this to the DOHC motor would most likely be done at the very end when trying to get every last bit of HP out of the car. Other than that, it's just not worth the money...
Yes and no. With any 2 or 4 valve car boost is the obvious way to go. Not enough inches to make a cam and head exchange worthwhile. But if you had a Cobra you can make insane power with just that alone. you would do as you stated in the attempt at making the most power. This combo alone could put you at over that 1000hp mark. :eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Then again, the Modular Depot car is N/A. It makes around 300 and change to the wheels. Even though its partially gutted, passenger seat, spare etc. That car runs high elevens with the 4.6 on the stock block.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
4V vs 2V doesn't really matter that much unless all things are equal. 2 large valves = 4 small or consider 4V on less displacement vs 2v on a large displacement motor.

Boost will always get big numbers if the internals of the motor can take it. For example consider the Toyota Supra will a awe inspiring 3.0L can make 800-1000hp ? How is that possible? Somewhere north of 20psi.

The added cost of 4v DOHC motors and the size of the heads aren't that much of an advantage in my opinion. They flow great, make good numbers with small displacement BUT take for example the LS1 which still puts all other small blocks to shame. LS6 and LS2 are #1 mass produced high performance V8s IMO currently.

So you don't necessarily need 4v, VTEC, or boost. Just bring some cubes and raw NA GM power :D

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
Besides the fact that many racing divisions of major manufacturers are coming out with Push-rod engines. Toyota will soon be coming out with its own racing pushrod engine, even though they have a 32 valve DOHC in their top cars. I guess when there is just less to go wrong it makes for a more efficient engine.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
The KISS rule

I have to go with Razinhell on this one. For every technilogically marvelous, wonderful and truly magnificent (but complicated) high tech motor there is out there in service, there are at least four GM SB's, LT1's, or LS1's. It goes back to the KISS rule (Keep it simple stupid!). Want to make it go faster? The KISS approach is shovel in more cubes or/and cylinders. I'm kinda partial to the Falconer V-12. The approach must work. There are blown American motors out there making more horsepower than a Diesel locomotive. Some I have seen in street cars make near 750 N.A. HP! If you get a chance, go view the GMPP movie for the 572 Crate Motor over at their Site. Now that's a simple pushrod motor. Course, you have to make allowances for me...I'm old school....never mind how old... :sneaky:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts