LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would buy a GTO today if it had a 5 speed automatic. I have too much stop and go for manual and the markedly reduced highway mileage with the current 4 speed AT (compared to GTO 6 speed manual) is unacceptable. What's with GM on this?? I think only Cadillac offers 5 speed automatics. Will new C6 offer. Any hopes will be a 5 speed AT in 2005 GTO??

Thanx,
--Kevin

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
A4 Mileage

I'm pretty happy with the 22.6 MPG I am pulling now on the big road. Since the Predator tune and mild intake mods, it went up markedly. I expect it will rise a bit more while I tweak, tune, and mod. If I can get mileage up that easy. GM did a poor job, and could easily gotten us out of the Gas Guzzler tax with a little effort. :confused:

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
I wouldn't blame GM entirely. It probably has to do with increased emissions. Computers since the '80's have had the abiltiy for lean cruise although its disabled because of increased emissions. I don't know if the predator does something like that to get better MPG.

With 50# injectors in the TTA, I was able to still get 29mpg cruising at 75mph with lean cruise enabled. That was a marked improvement over the 24mpg without it enabled.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Im pretty sure GMH is fitting a 5 speed auto to this years VZ commodore, hence fitting it in the 05 gto as well.

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts
Odin said:
Im pretty sure GMH is fitting a 5 speed auto to this years VZ commodore, hence fitting it in the 05 gto as well.
Correct, but it will only be available with the new 3.6 DOHC global V6 as in the Caddy CTS, XLR and SRX.

·
Official Dragon Straightner
6,438 Posts
GM has 2 different 5 speed autos.
The one that is in my V6 SRX has a lower torque rating than
the one that is in the V8 SRX, XLR and the upcoming STS V8.

Neither of these 5 spd autos can handle the torque of the LS
motors.

6 speed auto will be available next year.
It will have a higher torque rating and a lower 6th gear
since the 5 speed only has a .75 5th.

My V6 SRX is swinging 3.73s out back and gets 20.5 mpg at 80 mph.
At 65 mph it gets about 26 mpg.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The GM casting plant here at home is shooting 6L60E/6L70E/trans cases and is working on a die for a 6L80E trans.I know the 60 is being tested now and the 70 is about to be tested.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Maybe in 06 then....

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
If you have that much stop and go - even the manual doesn't help. I average about 15 mpg - mix between stop and go and normal driving. I've yet to do a full highway trip to see what I can get.
Oh, and I live in Detroit area and have never owned an auto. I think like 2 or 3 times ever I've been bothered by having to clutch and shift in traffic in 17+ years of driving...
Dan

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts
LS1GURU said:
The GM casting plant here at home is shooting 6L60E/6L70E/trans cases and is working on a die for a 6L80E trans.I know the 60 is being tested now and the 70 is about to be tested.
Cool thanks for the info. I've been waiting to hear something on the new 6L series. Any info on ratios? Torque ratings?

I think you will see this tranny for the 2007 model year, late 2006.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update MPG $ 5 speed Automatic??

I haven't seen any updates recently on this topic re 5 speed AT. Also would appreciate comments on mpg freeway (65-70) driven at mostly constant speed.
Thanx, Kevin

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Kevin said:
I haven't seen any updates recently on this topic re 5 speed AT. Also would appreciate comments on mpg freeway (65-70) driven at mostly constant speed.
Thanx, Kevin
65-70 mph gives me 22-23 MPG.
:drink::drink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts