LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would you guys spend the money on the head unit or all of the speakers? what is the weakest link in the stock system? eventually i will replace it all, but what is the best first place to spend the $500? thanks.

·
12sec club
356 Posts
speakersBut if you save up another 500 you can get a dd dvd/nav player and get speakers

·
Acta Non Verba
1,023 Posts
I would say speakers, amp, head unit then another amp and subs

·
Inching closer to Molon Labe
1,951 Posts
I disagree. I say head unit first. If you have a shitty signal going to good speakers what good does that do you?

Plus, you can use the increased power of the head unit to blow your speakers and then you have an excuse to buy new ones.

·
......................... ....
3,858 Posts
The head unit already puts out a clean signal, just doesn't have a decent quality speaker attached to it. Speakers and an amp will be sufficient. He's obviously not looking to go win sound comeptitions with a $500 budget.

·
Mindless Poo Flinger
2,711 Posts
i did front componets, rears, 8" subs in rear deck, and a small amp for about that cost

·
12sec club
356 Posts
chance575 said:
i did front componets, rears, 8" subs in rear deck, and a small amp for about that cost

Oh crap I forgot what we were discussing, i got distracted by your pic

·
Where are the women and booze
2,089 Posts
nixapatfan said:
The head unit already puts out a clean signal, just doesn't have a decent quality speaker attached to it. Speakers and an amp will be sufficient. He's obviously not looking to go win sound comeptitions with a $500 budget.

yup, H/U isn't bad...a little anemic power wise, but a clean signal.

·
Part of the Raider Nation
261 Posts
Eric Holdaway who has built some of the badest SQ vehicles ever has said that 90% of your budget for equipment should be spent on speakers.

·
Registered
456 Posts
eqsandleds said:
Eric Holdaway who has built some of the badest SQ vehicles ever has said that 90% of your budget for equipment should be spent on speakers.
Speakers are the most important part of any sound system but that 90% figure just isn't realistic. I'm aware of his accomplishments but a lot of the reasons his cars were so good were in the installation and tuning, not the hardware. If you apply enough technology and install prowess to an inexpensive speaker you can get good results but his approach isn't practical in the average world most of us live in. Work that 90% figure from any direction and you'll see it doesn't make sense.

That being said, you'll get more benefit from putting $$ in the speakers than you will anywhere else in a sound system.

·
god of the sea people
229 Posts
same boat, what is a good spkr setup for that price range? as in a self install, but no major cutting up.. what sizes are these speakers, and what fits where? can we fit the 6" JL's in the rear deck w/o cutting the factory mounts? can the stock amp push them? not to hijack, but i think many people will benefit from good information..
(i suck at stereo stuff)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Speakers. Put the majority of the funds into the front components. You should replace all four cabin speakers at once. Your new speakers will be 4 ohm and the factory are 2 ohm, so they'll overwhelm the new set. Or, you can just fade more toward the front to compensate.

I did a full speaker-only upgrade and had it for several months. It was a moderate improvement. I'd put it at a 4 on a 1-10 in terms of impact. New HU and amps are the real ticket, but more money

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
whatsaholden said:
same boat, what is a good spkr setup for that price range? as in a self install, but no major cutting up.. what sizes are these speakers, and what fits where? can we fit the 6" JL's in the rear deck w/o cutting the factory mounts? can the stock amp push them? not to hijack, but i think many people will benefit from good information..
(i suck at stereo stuff)
Check the stickied thread up top. All the info on sizes is in there.

There are also lots of threads about replacing the rear deck subs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would say that almost everyone is right. Replace the speakers first. I would say that you could get into some decent speakers for $500. Maybe some Infinities, Kicker or JL. HOWEVER, what people don't realize most of the time is that if you run "good" speakers that expect a good amount of power (like 75W a piece) with the stock head unit, theres a danger of blowing them. It is MUCH easier to blow speakers by giving them too little power than it is by giving them too much.

Therefore, if you're going to buy speakers, make sure that running them from the stock HU will be safe. Don't get speakers that need 130 watts RMS just because the salesperson at Circuit City (or wherever) told you that they are the best. Unless you plan to add amps later, get something conservative, like speakers that need about 50W RMS or so.

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
i watched my roomate replace speakers before the head unit and it turned out ok. i replaced my head unit and am still on the stock speakers. huge difference because the stock unit has barely any adjustability. if i was to do it again i would still replace the head unit first.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
Speakers, then amps and HU. I threw some very technical classical (Telarc label) at the system with about 250 miles on the car, very nice.

2 years later it is the "10 cent Chinese paper cones FTL" that have to go.

On a $500 budget I would look at speakers only. Infinity at least had a set in the reference series available at 2ohm.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts