LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Turbo Whistle? She's Stock:)
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, well I've done it. I've decided to order an STS kit for my GTO from TOP Shelf Performance. Although I'm still interested in the Ohio Forced Induction Kit for my wife’s 408 Goat, I got impatient and wanted my HP fix now.

My Goat is completely Stock

OK, here's the question. How can I achieve 520rwhp or close to 500rwhp with the STS kit for under $1,500 to $2,000. The budget excludes the STS Kit, the 42ib Injectors, and RPS Clutch and Flywheel. The Intercooler will be fabed after 1INSANEGTO provides us with his finished product.

Can someone provide me with a link in order to get a reasonable price for the Following parts?

-Alcohol Kit including a progressive controller.
-GMM Ripshift
-HID (Bright Crystal Blue)
-A Fuel pump if needed to support 525 Rwhp
-42ib Injectors(my initial estimate was 500, is it possible to get a better deal?)

Also would it be wise to Have a small 50 shot of Nitrous added on top of the FI on stock internals, or should I throw that idea away until my 427 funds come in?

·
Mindless Poo Flinger
2,711 Posts
I'm going the same route here in a week or so too.

I'm thinking about adding a Jba midpipe(no cats) and wrapping the exhaust pipe

·
Frantically Modding
4,458 Posts
I think an STS with the turbo upgrade, intercooler and meth injection will net over 525rwhp. I would even go out on a limb and say close to 600rwhp, Ive seen f-bodys making serious HP with these kits.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Nmbr1GMfan said:
I think an STS with the turbo upgrade, intercooler and meth injection will net over 525rwhp. I would even go out on a limb and say close to 600rwhp, Ive seen f-bodys making serious HP with these kits.
MTBDOC (I believe that's his SN) was making 550+rwHP on the kit (upgraded turbo). I believe the only other performance mod he has was a drop-in K&N filter, but I'm not positive, I'm sure he'll chime in when he gets the chance...

·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So, lets see, Upgraded GT70 Turbo with an FMIC, And Meth KIt huh? I want to run this setup on a Safe boost lvl to achieve 525 with having to worry about premature wear and tear on my stock motor.

Also what about a Custom turbo CAM? would that help any?

·
Mindless Poo Flinger
2,711 Posts
cam would get you some more power too but i think that some valve springs would be on the want list before the cam

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
MTDOC also made 600RWTQ. And was having issues i think with valve springs. I wonder how much the stock bottom can take if you upped the boost and put in a turbo cam/valvetrain upgrade.

·
No more shifting :(
702 Posts
On top of the STS kit with the GT67 and FMIC, I had some LQ9 ported heads and a custom COMP cam put it along with a Snow Meth kit. I have the cats taken off too. I had a few other issues to deal with before we get some final numbers, but it should be ready sometime next week.

At around 10psi I expect over 500rwhp, but who really gives a shit about dyno numbers. If I can feel a difference after the H/C install, then the $4k was worth it ;)

·
Former 3rd gen Camaro Driver
637 Posts
I wouldn't bother with those 42# injectors for your HP goals, go straight to 60# injectors. The 42's will be maxed out.

p.s. I'll have a set of 60's for sale soon when the GTO sells and they won't be $500 like the 42's you mentioned either.....

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts

·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ironmancan said:
Here's a link to one of MTBDOC's threads with dyno number's. If you do a search you'll find alot of additional info. Hope this helps.

http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46325
I've read MTBDOC's thread, but from what I understood, he garnered 600 Horse after letting the boost climb to unsafe levels which I'm not willing to risk with my daily driver.

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
Noraku_6.0L said:
I've read MTBDOC's thread, but from what I understood, he garnered 600 Horse after letting the boost climb to unsafe levels which I'm not willing to risk with my daily driver.
Right as you read that was by mistake and during tuning only. If you read more of his posts you'll see he finally got the tune safe and reliable with the kind of numbers your looking for. Personnally I'll rely on people who have the kit, tuned it and run it vs someone who's heard about it. Good luck:turbonaug

·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll get into contact with him ASAP.

·
DAE HAN MIN ****!!!
1,925 Posts
are you upgrading the rest of your drivetrain? or brakes?

·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm Upgradng t an RPS Clutch and Flywheel. But for the brakes I just want a good set of slotted rotors.

·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'll be taken it to Tampa for Installation and tuning once all the goodies are collected.

So let me get this straight, in order for me to achieve upwards of 520rwhp, I'll need the follwing.

60ib injectors
Meth Kit
FMIC
Upgraded Turbo
??????????????????

·
GTO...Austalian for Pontiac!
1,527 Posts
Just pm'd you. Short version is 67mm rather than 70, as it will spool quicker. Run the .6 bar [8.5 psi] spring in the wastegate, but reference it off the intake rather than the turbo. Get the 60# injectors; $420 + about another $100 for wiring adapters, spacers, and O-rings for the differences in our LS2's. Methanol is a good idea, but you have to spray it AFTER the maf. Or get rid of the maf altogether and get a good SD tune.

Valvesprings are going to help the higher rpm performance [IMHO]. Looking at the fall we see suggests even though they are the LS6 springs, they just aren't up to the boost, especially given the exhaust backpressure that the STS car will see.

·
ohhhh prettty
63 Posts
Just curious but how much is the STS kit? Also is it just me or does it seem like that thing is just asking to have dirt and water sucked into it? Can u even drive in rain?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts