LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the GTO, or are they the same?

I know that 5x120mm is the BMW spec and that most of the wheel peddlers distiguish between the two and will often label the 5x4.75" as 5x120.65mm. Did Holden/GM actually change to 5x120mm or is it just a case of semantics?

tyvm,
Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I wonder if they aren't the same 5x4.75" that GM has used for decades and just called 5x120mm because AU is metric.

Tom

·
Registered
835 Posts
I called tires plus this morning and they said that you can't interchange the 5x4.75 for the 5x120 even though they are extremely close.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know all of that. I'm just trying to find out what the GTO actually has, 5x120mm BMW spec, or 5x4.75" that has "mistakenly" been called 5x120mm.

Tom

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
I checked today 5x4.75 is actually 5x120.65 mm
be carful when selecting Rims

·
Registered
524 Posts
Holeshot said:
I checked today 5x4.75 is actually 5x120.65 mm
be carful when selecting Rims
True. The question is does the 0.025" make a real difference or not. Some tire/wheel dealers say yes, others no.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Reality check here. Some some dealers are saying that you take an inch. divide it into 40 equal parts. Add one of these 1/40th of an inch parts to the spacing and everything now doesn't fit? Now I am not an expert but I have changed a few tires in my time. It seems like there is a little more slop then 1/40th of an inch when I put the wheels back on. I would like to understand what the downside is on 1/40th of an inch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would imagine that AT BEST it will depend on the lug nut style. But even with conicals, it would seem that some buggering of the seat will occur when torquing down steel nuts on an aluminum wheel.

I can't seem to make this clear, it is not an issue of crossing one to the other, but rather determining which the GTO actually utilizes. I have seen both specs given, and even from the same poster. I've seen it posted that GM and Holden are the same: 5x120mm, but we KNOW that GM (pre-GTO at least) is 5x120.65mm/5x4.75". Apparently, this is just too confusing for the average Joe.

Tom

·
Registered
571 Posts
My gut tells me the 5x 120 is correct. The GTO originates in a metric country so this would lead me to believe the thought that it is the same as BMW. Hey Aussies, how about a little help? What is the Monaro?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've checked 4 different places and got four different answers, I've currently got a call into GM engineering for the specs. Nobody can tell me for sure what the correct size is and I've yet to get a "true" expert to tell me for sure if they won't interchange. This really sucks, I'd really like some better wheels and I have money burning a hole in my pocket! (I've never had to work so hard to spend $2000 in my life)

·
Registered
273 Posts
cjlannoy said:
I've checked 4 different places and got four different answers, I've currently got a call into GM engineering for the specs. Nobody can tell me for sure what the correct size is and I've yet to get a "true" expert to tell me for sure if they won't interchange. This really sucks, I'd really like some better wheels and I have money burning a hole in my pocket! (I've never had to work so hard to spend $2000 in my life)
If your pocket gets too hot, let me know. I'll be glad to takke that 2K off your hands. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
cjlannoy said:
I don't know how accurate / factual this is - -

o Listen up aftermarket wheel manufacturers! The 2004 GTO lug spacing is not a traditional American size so existing aftermarket wheels for GM cars won't fit.

Source:

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/features/0404pon_yellowgto/

·
Registered
571 Posts
I saw this on another site:

The kind people at Pontiac asked that I post the following info to me on the GTO's wheels.

The GTO hub has a 5x120.00mm bolt circle diameter.
The offset is 48 mm for both 17-inch and 18-inch wheels.
The GTO wheels have 8.0 inch wide rims.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
miamio said:
I saw this on another site:

The kind people at Pontiac asked that I post the following info to me on the GTO's wheels.

The GTO hub has a 5x120.00mm bolt circle diameter.
The offset is 48 mm for both 17-inch and 18-inch wheels.
The GTO wheels have 8.0 inch wide rims.
Thank you sir!

Tom

1 - 20 of 53 Posts