LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Is that FWD?
1,024 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
I was looking at Wilwood front and rear kits before. Not sure how many people here are running those.

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitAdvisor?year=2006&make=Pontiac&model=GTO&option=All

6-Piston Front Kit
14-in Rotor Diameter
1.25-in Rotor Width

4-Piston Rear Kit
12.19-in Rotor Diameter
0.81-in Rotor Width
I've been running the wilwood big brake kit for 10+ years, recently moved it from my red 05 to the 06 bom. I replaced the rotor rings once about 3 years ago and replaced the lines during the recent change.

They clear the factory 18's on my 05 and they clear the cv8z wheel on the bom.

·
Is that FWD?
1,024 Posts
I've been running the wilwood big brake kit for 10+ years, recently moved it from my red 05 to the 06 bom. I replaced the rotor rings once about 3 years ago and replaced the lines during the recent change.

Nice, were the rotors and calipers lighter than stock? I have read they should be lighter and save some rotational mass. I was looking at slotted rotors, not cross drilled, and I have 19" rims so I should be good.

Do you have any pictures of them on the GTO?

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Nice, were the rotors and calipers lighter than stock? I have read they should be lighter and save some rotational mass. I was looking at slotted rotors, not cross drilled, and I have 19" rims so I should be good.

Do you have any pictures of them on the GTO?
They are certainly lighter then the CTSV kit. I have several pics in the photo albums in my FB. I pretty much stopped posting pics here when the photobucket nightmare and/or the forum password upgrade requirements.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Are the 4 pistons worth doing? Are they that much better than stock?
I run the 4 piston 1st gen CTS-V calipers on the front of mine behind some VMRs and I would say its a worthwhile upgrade. If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, pads and rotors will get you there but doing the calipers with them made a good bit of difference for me.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts

Which kit? The 14 rotor or the 13.06 rotor?

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts

·
My what a large key you have!
59 Posts
I have the exact same front wheels, Beyern Rapp 18x8.5, +40. The dished design of these wheels leaves us with a lot less space than the stock wheel or any other wheel where the spokes go to the outside edge of the wheel. The spokes on the Rapp go to the center of the wheel (more or less). We sacrifice a lot of brake clearance space for that lip on the wheel. That being said, I have the gen 1 CTS-V 4 piston calipers with the BMW rotors in the front and there is plenty of room. The adapter brackets were made by someone on the forum but I don't think he does them any longer. The six piston calipers would not work (they barely fit inside a stock 18"") and I don't think there's room for anything but stock brakes in the rear. I have many track days on this setup and I'm happy with it. If I could start over I'd get a different wheel and go gen 2 CTS-V all the way around, but that's beside the point. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have the exact same front wheels, Beyern Rapp 18x8.5, +40. The dished design of these wheels leaves us with a lot less space than the stock wheel or any other wheel where the spokes go to the outside edge of the wheel. The spokes on the Rapp go to the center of the wheel (more or less). We sacrifice a lot of brake clearance space for that lip on the wheel. That being said, I have the gen 1 CTS-V 4 piston calipers with the BMW rotors in the front and there is plenty of room. The adapter brackets were made by someone on the forum but I don't think he does them any longer. The six piston calipers would not work (they barely fit inside a stock 18"") and I don't think there's room for anything but stock brakes in the rear. I have many track days on this setup and I'm happy with it. If I could start over I'd get a different wheel and go gen 2 CTS-V all the way around, but that's beside the point. I hope this helps.
Ok thank you,helps a great deal since you have the same wheels and know they don't fit.

I will look into the 4 pistons, have to be alot better than our stock calipers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m sure 14” rotors work for the 6 piston calipers, but Bohnman states 14.6” rotors from gen 2 cts v, some gen 5 ZL1 etc..

Here’s my 6 piston conversion with 18x9 +35 wheels for reference

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts