LS1GTO Forums banner
181 - 190 of 190 Posts

1,121 Posts
The round metal section of the top- the portion which fits down into the tank- mikes 5.100" Ø (well- more precisely, 5.098").

The round sealing flange measures 5.990" in diameter.

Drop me a PM, or email if you need other dimensions... happy to assist if I can.

· Premium Member
293 Posts
I just did this and it all works, except for the fuel guage. I first put 2 gallons in case i had to pull it back out. The pump worked but the guage was at dead empty. I put 2 more gallons in to see if I could get the needle to move, but nothing. In this thread,I have seen the fuel guage connected with the red wire on the left and another that had it on the right purple wire from the 8.1 bucket. Does it matter how this is hooked up since it should read the same regardless of polarity?

· 2/23/2007 = [email protected]
4,124 Posts
I just did this and it all works, except for the fuel guage. I first put 2 gallons in case i had to pull it back out. The pump worked but the guage was at dead empty. I put 2 more gallons in to see if I could get the needle to move, but nothing. In this thread,I have seen the fuel guage connected with the red wire on the left and another that had it on the right purple wire from the 8.1 bucket. Does it matter how this is hooked up since it should read the same regardless of polarity?
When you put the bucket back into the tank...... which side is the Float facing.... driver or passenger side?

I had the same problem with the gauge..... had it tested with a Tech 2 and showed no problem...... disconnected the battery numerous times didn't resolve the problem..... finally as a last resort...... removed the bucket and put it back with the Float facing the passenger side...... disconnected the battery, and re-connected 15 minutes later....... Gas Gauge has been working fine since.

Spent a few frustrating days on this issue..... such as siphoning the gas (direct from where you put gas in and also the tank itself)..... bending the float in various shapes..... when facing the driver side the float would hang up at different points..... replaced the bent float with a new one, and switched to passenger side.... problem resolved.

Good Luck!

· Premium Member
15,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Yes it must point to the passenger side.

· 2/23/2007 = [email protected]
4,124 Posts
Yes...according to the info below.

According to ddawson's info on page #1:
Some tips for converting the GTO Fuel Bucket to the 8.1L Bucket.

Parts,
8.1L GM Part Number GM#88965372 or AC Delco PN MU1312
Revised Part Numbers GM # 19133455 or AC DELCO PN MU1417
Float Sensor unit part number is GM#88965379

This may be of some interest to you if still available.....Click

· Premium Member
293 Posts
I checked and it does face the pasenger side. I had only put 3 gallons in it but the needle did not budge. I put 10 gallons in it to go to the tuner and it went between 1/2 and 3/4. On the way back from the tuner I filled it up and it read full. The needle did take around 10 minutes to get to full but it is working, WooHoo!! Thanks guys.
Yes it must point to the passenger side.

181 - 190 of 190 Posts