LS1GTO Forums banner
141 - 160 of 190 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Resurrecting a great thread....

I need some dimensions of the 8.1 bucket:

1) Height of the bucket only.
2) The largest diameter on the bucket NOT including the fuel level sensor.

I may try to retrofit this unit into another tank but using LS1/Magnacharged drivetrain.

Thanks a bunch.

· Premium Member
15,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Another year bump with no issues.

· 2/23/2007 = [email protected]
4,124 Posts
My 8.1L has worked fine since installed approx. 3 years ago

Is it possible to turn this into a Full Return dual pump system, and if so, what parts would I need?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Well, I've had it in for about 4 months now. Up until Saturday I've not had one fuel related issue. Saturday as I was pulling into the driveway my check engine light came on and my fuel gauge dropped to E. Also got a Service Engine Soon/Contact Dealer thing on the display. It does it every time now when I turn the car to ON (but don't start it). So annoying. Just started out of nowhere. Anyone had this issue? I've searched and it seems to be a common problem, but I'm trying to find out the FIX for it.

Oh, and the level issue (not reading all the way to full) is not really an issue now. It does'nt go to full as quickly as it did w/ the stock bucket, but it's sped up some and it reads almost right at the F now when filled all the way up.

· Old Guys Rule
3,384 Posts
anyone seal the bottom holes of the bucket?
The holes are there for a reason, sealing them off will make keeping the bucket full of fuel more difficult, not easier.:)

· 80 swap in the works
3,847 Posts
I plan on installing a d1 procharger kit and running around 6 or 7psi (untill I get more $$$) do you think that the just the walbro 255 from epp. Is it going to give me enough fuel to be safe?
Thanks Kyle

· Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Kyle, it'll work. The problem is burning up pumps and not being able to keep the stock bucket full w/ fuel under load. I believe that that's probably why my first pump only lasted about a yr. If I were you I'd just do it all at once (8.1 w/ the 255). It's not that much more money (just the cost of the bucket and the plastic hoses, etc). And I can help you do it. Trust me, I've had my tank in and out 3 times!!! I know how to do it at this point :)

Here's the part you need to order Kyle. C'mon. Just $135 buck more! Said and done, prob. $150 more than what you'd be spending w/o doing the bucket.

8.1 L BUCKET

· 80 swap in the works
3,847 Posts
I agree If i go that route I wouldnt have to worrie aboud it. So all I need is that pump from ebay, a 255? Where did you get the plastic lines from? Thanks for your help Matt!

· Registered
16 Posts
fuel line

Drilling holes in the bucket sides and bottom???????????? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the 8.1 L bucket upgrade to begin with? Isn't the purpose of the 8.1L bucket to hold a larger volume of fuel around the pump (due to filling of bucket with the eductor/venturi port from the returned fuel) to prevent fuel starvation (lean condition) and to offer cooling to the pump? The drilled holes defeat both of these benefits in my opinion. Sounds like someone with the "drilled bucket" mod had better keep their tank full as much as possible.

Am I missing something here? Drilling holes sounds like a bad idea.
were did you obtain the replacement fuel line

· mmm Torque
411 Posts

· Premium Member
15,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
I should come with the correct float.

· RIP
9,501 Posts
How much hp will this support on a turbo motor?

· Registered
376 Posts
ddawson 8.1 bucket upgrade

ddawson, need your help, i have a stock fuel system, i read somewhere that you can drill holes around the bucket in pre determined spots, that will let the pump get more volume, anything to this. thanks, rob v

· Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,208 Posts
I remember reading about this ages ago. Great write up and great addition to the fuel section. One of the mods I plan on doing shortly. Thumbs up!

141 - 160 of 190 Posts