LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I purchased my '06 back in January and still haven't even done my first oil change. Only 2,500 miles on the clock. I guess I might as well wait till some day I hit the big 3k:turbonaug

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
why not change the oil?

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
If that 2500 miles has been slowly racked up in our tropical climate, the moisture in the air may be collecting in the crankcase. It helps to get the oil good and hot when you use it.
If you have been making 1-5 mile trips at a time and never really getting it good and warm in there, you may require more frequent changes.
Go drive your GTO, and use that bad boy as intended.
Unless of course you have something else even more fun to drive in the garage!!

·
woohoo got my license back
186 Posts
Nothing to be bragging about SON. that oil has been in that motor for close to a year if your build date is ~6 months earlier than when you bought it. Mine was built 12/05 and i bought it june 2006.

Start the engine and bring it up to 6,000 RPM thru 1st and 2nd gear a few times, that should blow the carbon and water out of that poor thing. I gotta change the oil in my pos truck i think..been over 10k miles on dino oil. oops.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Bigdave said:
I did my first change at 1500 miles and the second right after the cam install at 4000. First oil change is better done early due to the break in of the engine.
I concur! Change that oil every 6 months if you don't go 3,000 miles.:patriot:

·
Quest for 10's Continues!
3,561 Posts
When I first brought my '04 home about 1 year and 7 months ago I changed the oil at 600 miles, then again at 1200 miles, again at 2500 miles and now it's on the 3000 mile plan with Mobil 1. The car has just over 9000 miles on it now. I'm a stong believer in getting the break-in oil, out of the engine asap and then again soon after, sort of like flushing everything out! This way I don't have a single worry that there might be any debris in the oil when the car is taken out for a good use i.e race, track use or just the typical spirited hard driving. . . . :gears: :gears:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I've gone so long with out an oil change (besides not having 3k miles yet) is because every time I drive it I always make sure it gets up to normal temperature before I shut it off, and also the few times that I do drive it it's usually highway miles at night (not in the hot sun)

·
The Situation
3,358 Posts
RemoteControlD said:
The reason I've gone so long with out an oil change (besides not having 3k miles yet) is because every time I drive it I always make sure it gets up to normal temperature before I shut it off, and also the few times that I do drive it it's usually highway miles at night (not in the hot sun)

whats the point of owning the car then?? :gears: go rip through it a few times, it will be fun!!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yipes!!! Change that oil today!

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Bbbbbut it only has 2500 miles on it, why change it when it is perfectly good oil :drink: . Man, you should have done one at or under the 1k mark just to be safe, the first oil fill gets nasty fast!! I am far from one of these anal 3k it has to get done, "cancel dinner honey, I have to change the oil" types by a long shot, but oil that old, come on- part with the $40 and change it...
Joe

·
Just a Re-engineered Cavalier
2,244 Posts
My car has 6500 on it but hasn't told me to change it's oil yet. However, I changed the oil at 800, 1500, and 4000. I just want to see how long the oil life moniter goes.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Mine came on for the first time at around 7500- when the car was on it's 4th oil change lol. It bases it on driving, mileage, etc.
Joe

·
Claybar Torrid RED!
160 Posts
even if i hardly drive the car i still change the oil every 2-3 months at the latest.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Nah, leave it in there. I wanna see another thread started as to why the dealer won't warrenty a blown engine. Makes for some good conversation.

·
My normal state of affairs...
5,909 Posts
i changed my oil at 800miles. my build date was april 05 and i took the car home end of march 06 with 123 miles. my oil was in there awhile:drink:

and speaking of the oil monitor, i never reset it. then when i was driving to the track yesterday, i was thinking to myself:"i wonder when the oil monitor will tell me to change the oil?" well, i took a right hand turn into the track entrance, and the monitor chimed:bootyshak at this point, i have changed the oil 3 times and have about 8300 miles on the clock:judge:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hummina said:
i changed my oil at 800miles. my build date was april 05 and i took the car home end of march 06 with 123 miles. my oil was in there awhile:drink:

and speaking of the oil monitor, i never reset it. then when i was driving to the track yesterday, i was thinking to myself:"i wonder when the oil monitor will tell me to change the oil?" well, i took a right hand turn into the track entrance, and the monitor chimed:bootyshak at this point, i have changed the oil 3 times and have about 8300 miles on the clock:judge:
I've got over 21k on the clock now and I've only seen the oil change monitor light up one time.:confused: If I remember correctly I was around 5k the last time it lit up. The way I drive this thing it should light up once a week:drink:, don't trust the computer to tell you to change the oil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts