LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Its not a real hemi
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is by far one of the most worthless threads I have started, but is there any performance difference between 8mm or 9mm plug wires? 9mm is the same price as 8mm and just making sure that Im not missing anything important between the two.

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
torridredaccd said:
This is by far one of the most worthless threads I have started, but is there any performance difference between 8mm or 9mm plug wires? 9mm is the same price as 8mm and just making sure that Im not missing anything important between the two.

Your missing 1mm...

Actually I wouldnt even know where to start. Most of the time a wires a wire, as long as the resistance is low. Different brands do different things. Bigger is better in most cases. What brand are you looking at?

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
Generally the larger the conductor diameter the better. However in the case of our cars, due to the short length of the OEM wires and the fact that they don't cross each other or sit near the engine, aftermarket wires are not a particularly worthwhile upgrade.

·
Its not a real hemi
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're the JBA wires, red ones are 8mm and blue ones are 9. Normally I would agree to them not being worth the money but when the OEM wires are pratically resting on recently installed headers, shorter wires suddenly seem worth while.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
Taylor thundervolt 50's
10.4 MM :D

doubt it makes a difference though.

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
radkon said:
Taylor thundervolt 50's
10.4 MM :D

doubt it makes a difference though.
The shops out here use the same Taylor wire. It doesn’t make more power but they hold up much better after a few install/removal after swapping plugs, heads, or headers.

I have them on mine and it's just a better built wire.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Plus they look mean!

·
Registered
703 Posts
magnacore all the way!,they will also make custom length and if you burn one up,they will let you buy just one. also less aftermarket stereo noise.

·
Registered
69 Posts
conductor versus cross section

Guys,

The obvious difference between plug wires is the thickness of the insulation around the conductor. Usually, the thicker the insulation, the better the performance of the wire against breakdown of the insulation due to heat or mechanical forces. Also, the more resistant to arcing or damage to the core conductor.

Most center conductors are some type of carbon or graphite based material in a flexible media. Too much flexing can cause a high resistance point in the conductor which can cause a point of failure. Many race applications use more converntional conductors like silver plated stranded copper. The problem with that on a street engine is RF noise and magnetics

As stated above, stock wires are probably best for most applications. If you feel it necessary to get other wires, look at the center conductor technology before looking at the thickness. The length of wire on our engines means the wire is less likely to be damaged by heat or mechanical effects.

·
Refuse to lose.
3,509 Posts

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
+1 for Magnecor. If you are going to buy aftermarket wires they are the ones to get.
They are solid core but spiral-wound in a manner that reduces EMI and RFI. I've had them on a previous car and they do what they say.

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
A good set of wires won't increase performance, there is no way they can actually add any HP. However you won't be LOSING any power due to deficiencies in the OEM carbon-core wires (not so much of an issue on the GTO but more so on other cars with longer wires), and they will hold up better over time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts