LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toying with some sound system ideas..... I was thinking about putting 8" midbasses in the doors and back panels. Back panels should be pretty easy, but i'm not sure about the doors. I do have some pretty hefty 6.5's in the doors, but I'm not so sure I can do 8's without a bunch of hacking.

· Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
8's in the deck arent enough now?
The low bass they produce is plenty. I just want more midbass. I’m not putting subs in the doors…..the door speakers will be crossed over higher than the subs in the rear deck.

· Registered
1,724 Posts
Gonna 3d print something I imagine and use something with a small dirver?
Was hoping to get something made to fit the rockford Pro PPS4-6. Figured it would be easier for me to accomplish instead of fitting the 8" version.

· Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gonna 3d print something I imagine and use something with a small dirver?
Was hoping to get something made to fit the rockford Pro PPS4-6. Figured it would be easier for me to accomplish instead of fitting the 8" version.
You know those are midranges, right? Not midbasses.

· Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about those small underseat subs crossed over to be midbass?
I saw some but I just wasn't really feeling that. I'm not even sure I can get 8's to fit in the doors without doing some major door surgery..... I may look into just finding some better 6.5's than what i currently have.

· Have Bar, Will Travel
47,344 Posts
what 6.5 is that?

I was looking at something JBL many years ago if I recall but it was technically a 6 3/4 ring - supposed to fit had a little extra lower range. Like bottomed about in the 35hz arena. but was a component set with tweeter and a cross over device. Might have been Kenwood - anyway. that should be plenty but.

what do you consider mid bass - vs mid range? seems to mean different things to different people.

· Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what 6.5 is that?

I was looking at something JBL many years ago if I recall but it was technically a 6 3/4 ring - supposed to fit had a little extra lower range. Like bottomed about in the 35hz arena. but was a component set with tweeter and a cross over device. Might have been Kenwood - anyway. that should be plenty but.

what do you consider mid bass - vs mid range? seems to mean different things to different people.
I have 6.5" silver flutes right now. i'd like them to at least play down to about 50hz,lower if possible. Will help blend to the subs better I think. Midrange I'd consider 400-500hz up to around 2000hz. technicall midbass is supposed to be from 200hz to 500hz but i think of it as 50hz-60hz to 300hz and sub frequencies below 50hz

· Have Bar, Will Travel
47,344 Posts
I guess I've always consider midrange to be 1000 down to around 120, with base being 120 and below - since that is what you find alot of tower speaker and pre-amp sub cutouts run to.

Or there abouts. LIke in my HT setup my front towers have 8s in them and range to 30hz per the spec sheet but to be fair they flat out response somewhere near 80. Meanwhile the processor consideres that big and it divides out bass to the sub around the 80 hz line. But I tuned it that way with testing - initially it started with 120hz and that was way to high for a double 15.

In the car I forget what I did but for my G8 - smilar speaker setup to the GTO. I was using that JBL components up front and 2 ways coaxial in the rear door - of the same model set. and the fronts supposedly would get to 50 but again flatten out easily around 100. Rear subs are 8's in the G8.

Anyway I bet you can find something that works out like you want without trying to put an 8 in the door. Hell a 6x9 might even be easier to fit. but I doubt it.

Would it be worth putting something bigger in the rear spot - I know some people did that on the GTO.

· Wol Gemut
4,698 Posts
I cannot see fitting 8s in the doors. I had Focal w-xp 6.5s and they fit with a spacer but no extra room. So I am trying the Audison TH Sax, also 6.5"s, they are wider on reverse side than even the Focals and the tabs for the speaker wires, which are one on each side, require significant carving in the door. having said that, 8"s could probably be made to fit if you are willing to expand the speaker hole A LOT. also, my door card has already been altered to remove part of the map shelf or whatever it is called and make room for the speaker. without that done, that shelf obstructs even a 6.5 much less an 8, and also might even prevent fitment of an 8.

· Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I cannot see fitting 8s in the doors. I had Focal w-xp 6.5s and they fit with a spacer but no extra room. So I am trying the Audison TH Sax, also 6.5"s, they are wider on reverse side than even the Focals and the tabs for the speaker wires, which are one on each side, require significant carving in the door. having said that, 8"s could probably be made to fit if you are willing to expand the speaker hole A LOT. also, my door card has already been altered to remove part of the map shelf or whatever it is called and make room for the speaker. without that done, that shelf obstructs even a 6.5 much less an 8, and also might even prevent fitment of an 8.
Good info. I guess I’ll stick with 6.5’s. I know I could go 8’s in the rear panels easily tho. Might do that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts