LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having some drivetrain issues and the lead suspect is a CV leaking from the CV flange cap on the rear driver side axle. I remembered that the Porsche 930 OEM CV is a slightly better design, so I figured I would just rebuild my axles with OEM replacement 930 CVs, if for nothing else than the increased range of motion.

They are on order, but I'm wondering you need to get the 60mm long axle bolts for the 930 CVs, or if that was just for some other aftermarket options. Obviously I could measure them next week, but I would like to order the fasteners now to minimize down time.

TIA :)

·
Worthless reject member
40,442 Posts
55mm should work. I've had 60mm bottom out.

You can build them with chromoly inner races and cages, btw. Just getting the factory 930 cv joint replacements don't do much.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm okay cool good to know.

Yeah, I don't need much, I'm not doing low gear launches and the stockers lasted 100k so a little extra strength and a little extra range of motion is all I really need. Its a cam only car and I just do track events not drag racing. Just for grins, where do you get the races and cages only?

·
Worthless reject member
40,442 Posts
EMPI makes both the cage and the race. I don't have the part numbers off hand, but they do have an online catalog last time i checked.

Dune buggy and VW parts suppliers carry empi parts, and you can check on amazon and ebay as well.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Okay I was seeing a lot of that company. On my stockers I couldn’t pull the cage off of the inner race. Am I missing something? Lol

Edit: I was missing something. Got it off 😅

·
Worthless reject member
40,442 Posts
There are guides about the right way to assemble them, fyi. The cage, inner and outer race all face a particular direction in relation to each other, and the inner race has to be clocked so that the CV joint will function.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, yeah I found some info on that. So far this has been a fun but messy little project. Much cheaper than $800 axles...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you're not going to drag race, i think a cv joint upgrade on the stock axles is perfect.
Agreed. The only reason I'm doing anything with the stock ones is because one was leaking from the CV cap (with plenty of metal dust in there I might add) which I am assuming is related to the rear end binding I was experiencing (rather than a differential issue).

·
Registered
1 Posts
How did this work out for you? I have a similar issue and was considering replacing them with the dss axles. She's my daily so I wouldn't want to take on something I couldn't complete over a weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts