LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to retire my stock shifter knob and installed a reproduction one from GTOG8TA.com. It looks nice and has nice weight to it but after having it on the car for a while now I've come up with a serious gripe about it. The shifter shaft has a slot at the top and the stock knobs have a tab at the top of the hole that locates in the slot on the shaft, this keeps the knob from turning on the shaft and maintaining the proper orientation on the shaft. The reproduction, unfortunately, does not have this locating slot at the top of the hole, thus the knob can turn on the shaft. I've tried gluing the knob to the shaft even with some JB Weld and even after a small amount of enthusiastic shifting it will come loose and be able to turn on the shaft.

Can anyone suggest a way to install the knob so it can't turn on the shaft? If there was some way to drive a small tab into the top of the shaft hole in the knob that would be ideal but I don't see a way to do that. And no amount of adhesive seems to work and besides, you still may have a need in the future to remove the knob so even if a permanent adhesive could be found it might not be a great idea to use it.

·
Administrator
8,260 Posts
IIRC, I believe they are revising the design to incorporate a slot in the next batch.

Don’t know of a good way to make that one work without, as you said, making it a nightmare to try to remove in the future.

Another option in the meantime would be to get a G8 GXP knob...again...

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I can't make it work I'll go back to my aftermarket brushed aluminum knob. The red/orange on the GXP knob just doesn't go well with BOM. Maybe an all black knob would work though.

·
Worthless reject member
40,185 Posts
I thought the stock shift knob had plastic locking tabs? The repro doesn't?

Although i've always wondered how those tabs worked. I don't see what they grab onto, unless they work like quick connects somehow and just apply pressure to the sides of the lever shaft to hold it on.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the stock shift knob had plastic locking tabs? The repro doesn't?

Although i've always wondered how those tabs worked. I don't see what they grab onto, unless they work like quick connects somehow and just apply pressure to the sides of the lever shaft to hold it on.
No, the reproductions do not have those tabs. And those don't help keep it from turning on the shaft anyway, just help keep it from coming off the shaft (upward).

Is this the correct one for our shifters?: 2009 Pontiac G8 Transmission Shift Boot and Knob GM OEM NOS 92267068 | eBay

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
319 Posts
Proxes recommends using rtv on the stock knob for his mgw-p. I dont think i put enlugh though as mine spins a bit, just been lazy to pull it off and try again

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
The GTOG8 knob had the tab but it wouldn't engage. I just used some RTV and it doesn't move at all. I can always separate the shaft from the shifter if I needed to.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I've used RTV both times, it lasts about a week and then the knob begins to be able to be turned. This last time I used RTV on the upper part of the shaft and JB Weld at the bottom. A week later I had my track day and it was loose again coming home.

Later today I'm going to have the shifter off the car (putting in the Tick brass shifter cup) and I'll be able to examine everything more closely to see if I can find a solution. If not, I'll need to decide if I want a new one, my old original knob or if I should reinstall my aftermarket knob. An idea has occurred to me how to make the reproduction work, but I'll need to fabricate something and I'm not sure I have the correct materials lying around.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can always separate the shaft from the shifter if I needed to.
I was having trouble with the handle coming loose from the shifter every few drives so I used red Loctite and torqued down the bolts like crazy. Along the way the heads stripped out and luckily it has never come loose again but I'd play heck ever getting those bolts loose without destroying them. Why the Pro Billet didn't just come with normal bolts is beyond met but they used countersink heads with a tiny little hex key hole in them for wrenching.

·
Administrator
8,260 Posts
If I can't make it work I'll go back to my aftermarket brushed aluminum knob. The red/orange on the GXP knob just doesn't go well with BOM. Maybe an all black knob would work though.
The GXP manual knob is all black, and yes, your link above is correct.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, must have been thinking about that black/orange knob JHP used to sell for way too much money.

·
Administrator
8,260 Posts
Yeah, most likely.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I was having trouble with the handle coming loose from the shifter every few drives so I used red Loctite and torqued down the bolts like crazy. Along the way the heads stripped out and luckily it has never come loose again but I'd play heck ever getting those bolts loose without destroying them. Why the Pro Billet didn't just come with normal bolts is beyond met but they used countersink heads with a tiny little hex key hole in them for wrenching.
Ah that sucks. I went with a MGW-P shifter and the bottom of the shaft is threaded into the lower shifter. There's a nut as well to lock the shaft in place like double nutting.

·
Administrator
8,260 Posts

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
404 Posts
I was thinking of getting one of these, but the stitching is different than the rest of the stitching in the car. To me, it looks like they used thinner thread.

Now I'm REALLY happy I didn't buy a re-pop when they came out.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just checked their website and see they are now on their 2nd design with a corrected notch:

Fat lot of good that does me now, I already have one and I'm not buying another.

I was thinking of getting one of these, but the stitching is different than the rest of the stitching in the car. To me, it looks like they used thinner thread.

Now I'm REALLY happy I didn't buy a re-pop when they came out.
The thread is okay, but the stitches are smaller and don't look quite the same. Though I doubt too many people would notice.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,138 Posts
Here to also bemoan the first batch of repro shift knobs. I'm happy with it except that it can spin during drag race like shifting and I'm not spending another $100 to fix what should have been found in testing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts