LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
8,260 Posts
Personally, I’d send them back to GTOG8TA and demand a new replacement as I agree they should have been addressed in testing.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I've decided to switch back to my original stock knob. My plan to make the repro work didn't work out and I'm tired of smurfing with it. All I'm after right now is to install the Tick brass shifter cup and I'm on day 3 and I'm not done yet. PITA to get the shifter bolts out. I found one shifter bolt was loose and one of the small bolts in the shifter mechanism itself is missing. Of course it is a totally oddball bolt so I had to order them online so it'll be toward the weekend before I can complete the job. At least the shifter is back on the transmission. The rubber boot install is a PITA too but not like the shifter itself. Heck, I had a heck of a time just getting the plastic cup out of the trans. Used thread locker on everything. Shifter doesn't feel any different with the brass cup in there...... I'm now convinced it will buzz like a little bitch and I'll want to pull it back out of there.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,138 Posts
Shifter doesn't feel any different with the brass cup in there...... I'm now convinced it will buzz like a little bitch and I'll want to pull it back out of there.
My T-56 was rebuilt with the bronze cup and I didn't get any new noise with it. When I switched from B&M to Billet, things only got quieter (mostly due to new shift boot).
You should be good.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My T-56 was rebuilt with the bronze cup and I didn't get any new noise with it. When I switched from B&M to Billet, things only got quieter (mostly due to new shift boot).
You should be good.
We will see.

·
1 of 40,757
6,399 Posts
I've decided to switch back to my original stock knob. My plan to make the repro work didn't work out and I'm tired of smurfing with it. All I'm after right now is to install the Tick brass shifter cup and I'm on day 3 and I'm not done yet. PITA to get the shifter bolts out. I found one shifter bolt was loose and one of the small bolts in the shifter mechanism itself is missing. Of course it is a totally oddball bolt so I had to order them online so it'll be toward the weekend before I can complete the job. At least the shifter is back on the transmission. The rubber boot install is a PITA too but not like the shifter itself. Heck, I had a heck of a time just getting the plastic cup out of the trans. Used thread locker on everything. Shifter doesn't feel any different with the brass cup in there...... I'm now convinced it will buzz like a little bitch and I'll want to pull it back out of there.

As mentioned in your other thread, unless the original isolator cup is cracked it should not contribute to your shifting problems. Was a shot in the dark because I know mine is cracked and sometimes the shifts are erratic. I have a brass replacement and haven't got around to replacing it yet. Tired of messing with the transmission and I don't want to find out it does induce noise. haha

From my research its only the loose fitting cups that make noise.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My plastic cup was in good shape. The new brass cup has a very snug fit on the shifter lever. It also fit very snug into the transmission, I had to tap it into place with a block of wood and a hammer.

I doubt the shifter was ever moving much, but finding one of the shifter mount bolts loose and one of the shifter linkage bolts missing might explain just a little of why reverse has been so hard to get into, the stupid stiff springs in the Pro Billet contribute as well. The stupid stiff springs are better than hitting reverse while moving forward though I guess.

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
404 Posts
The thread is okay, but the stitches are smaller and don't look quite the same. Though I doubt too many people would notice.
That was the first thing I noticed...but I'm kind of a stickler for the details.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That was the first thing I noticed...but I'm kind of a stickler for the details.
By "people" I meant everybody else. I noticed it right away too. Thread color is different too.

·
The Old Goat
2006 Pontiac GTO
92 Posts
I had the same problem with my repro shift knob and RTV, wouldn't stay in place for long. I ended up using Gorilla Glue and it hasn't moved in about a year.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I had the same problem with my repro shift knob and RTV, wouldn't stay in place for long. I ended up using Gorilla Glue and it hasn't moved in about a year.
And if you ever need to take it off again?

I reinstalled my stock knob last night with RTV and this morning it is on there firm as can be. Did you hear me, my knob is firm. :D

·
The Old Goat
2006 Pontiac GTO
92 Posts
That is of course the risk with gluing it on. I did just pull the trans for an upgrade and reinstalled everything without an issue. Did not need to remove the knob. I have a GTOG8TA GMM look alike with a GMM street handle and LSS extension and don't really see a need to ever have to pull the knob off.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah, I guess that is part of the problem with my set up. Another alternative would be to just unbolt the shifter lever from the shifter (which you could do I believe) but on mine, I had such a problem getting the handle to stay bolted on, it was always coming loose, that the last time I put it on I used the highest strength Loctite I could find and pretty much stripped out the socket heads' hex holes getting them tight that now I don't think I could ever get the bolts out without destroying them.

·
GR-RRR!
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I guess I should report on my experience with the Tick brass shifter cup. I do think it improved the feel of the shifts and thus far has not caused any additional vibration or noise from the shifter. I did manage to install the metal bracket that holds the white shifter boot to the floor backwards, but by the time I noticed it I already had the transmission crossmember bolted back up and there was no way in hell I was going to lower the transmission again and go through the hell that is removing those nuts and reinstalling those nuts that hold the bracket down. Why in the name of all that is holy didn't Holden just weld studs to the floor and have the bracket bolt down from inside the interior? Or weld nuts into the floor pan so bolts could be run in from inside?

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Why in the name of all that is holy didn't Holden just weld studs to the floor and have the bracket bolt down from inside the interior? Or weld nuts into the floor pan so bolts could be run in from inside?
Vegemite engineering. Here's a rare video of the engineering team hard at work:

·
Registered
710 Posts
The GXP manual knob is all black, and yes, your link above is correct.
Can the GXP knob -and- boot be made to fit our cars? I'd pay the extra $40 if I could get a new boot (and use it) as well. $99 is steep for just a knob. I wonder if I could incorporate some sort of set screw into my OEM one...hmmm..

On a different note, I have the same "my shifter knob twists" symptom others here have, but its with the OEM knob. I remember getting a sale (Black Friday?) email from GTA and the knob was listed as on sale, but there was some small note or asterisk about the notch not being made right, so I skipped ordering one. Again, all of this is just to the best of my recollection.

·
Administrator
8,260 Posts
No. Only the knob will fit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had bought my shifter back in January 2019. Never installed, never out of the box. Been waiting to get the MGW-P shifter. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Anyway, I emailed Eric at GTOG8TA and he agreed to swap mine out with the new design one. Not sure if he agreed because mine was never used, but may be worth a try reaching out to them.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts