LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went into a shop to have my A/C system reharged after the cam installation.
the guys did vacum the system twice and recharged the system twice with the same behavior, the A/C compressor is going on and off really quick, like every 2-3 sec. they were telling me the pressure in the system is going to almost 400PSI and the shut off valve is kicking in shutting down the compressor as soon as the PSI goes that high.

the guys didn't know what might be wrong since they don't see any leaks at all, also the system is just taking 1.7lbs of freon instead of the recommended 1.81lbs.

i'm clueless about this, has anybody seen or had the same problem ???
is there something that needs to be reset so the compressor can work as expected ??

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
it's overcharged

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
That's what it sounds like to me also. I just don't understand how they evacuated it twice and it still is overcharged. I personally never fill by "quantity", I always go by pressure- within reason. There are times where it would obviously be too much or too litle and I'd have to look for another problem.
Joe

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'll take the car to another a/c shop tomorrow and have them check.

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hondatech said:
which side is at 400 psi?High or low?Did you bend any lines coming out of the condensor or the condensor itself?
i think is the high side, the one close to the CAI

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ruquik said:
sounds like you bent or crimped your high side line.
the guy doing the recharge checked the lines and said everything was fine with them, it didn't seemed like any one of them was bent or crimped.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
if one were to ignore the EPA you could "field recover" :) the refrigerant and bleed it out until the compressor stops short-cycling. i deal with ice cream making equipment and it sounds like they did something wrong and didn't get all the gas out or their weighing setup isn't working right. weighing in a charge always works the best.

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
svede1212 said:
if one were to ignore the EPA you could "field recover" :) the refrigerant and bleed it out until the compressor stops short-cycling. i deal with ice cream making equipment and it sounds like they did something wrong and didn't get all the gas out or their weighing setup isn't working right. weighing in a charge always works the best.
umm, i could try that since i don't know the EPA guys, :), but now i don't even know if they pumped the rigth oil as well.the guy at the counter told me they didn't have synthetic oil for it, the mechanic working on the car said he did have some other oil that was also synthetic. ??

i'm taking the car to another shop and i'll tell them to vacum/recharge the system again. i told the mechanic the amount of lbs the system would take (1.81lbs per the manual), and they were even trying to pump 2lbs :bomb:

should they go by lbs or by pressure after getting all the gas/oil out of the system ??

·
Member of the 500+ RWHP Club!
1,142 Posts
BlueGoat06 said:
umm, i could try that since i don't know the EPA guys, :), but now i don't even know if they pumped the rigth oil as well.the guy at the counter told me they didn't have synthetic oil for it, the mechanic working on the car said he did have some other oil that was also synthetic. ??

i'm taking the car to another shop and i'll tell them to vacum/recharge the system again. i told the mechanic the amount of lbs the system would take (1.81lbs per the manual), and they were even trying to pump 2lbs :bomb:

should they go by lbs or by pressure after getting all the gas/oil out of the system ??
I would use the 1.8 lbs as a guideline, You always want to monitor the presure. My A/C is so noisey I have had it sucked dry and recharged 4 or 5 times and have had 4 compressors on it. Its still noisey as hell. What I have learned is I dont know the EPA guy either and did a field recovery on the last compressor. The dealer put exactly 1.8lbs in and it was blowing a little cold. so I drained it and filled it myself, once I started getting close to the 1.6 lbs mark I started checking the temp coming out of the vents. You will want to do this on a hot day! I can say when its 95 outside my A/C will blow on high at 40 degrees out of the vents! Its actually quieter than when the dealer did it but it is still noisey, really noisey! Dealer is telling me its normal now after they replaced 4 compressors! Its not even close to normal! But its cold as hell!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did you have the a/c lines open? I'm guessing you did if you need a recharge, maybe some dirt got in there and is blocking the orfice tube. If these cars have them, I know the older cars do because it's what helps the liquid change to a gas. Just an idea. Mike

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
Mine was doing this w/o a cam install, was over charged.

·
IKSWHTASOL
2,223 Posts
High pressures on the discharge side will normally be caused by one of three things. 1. The system is overcharged; or 2. there is a restriction in the discharge lines; or 3. there is insufficient airflow across the condensor.

If the install was done without disconnecting the condensor lines, I would suspect the lines were crimped when the condensor was moved.

If the condensor lines were removed, there is a chance that some trash got into the lines and has moved to the orfice tube and is causing a restriction.

If you haven't already done so, you need to insure that the fans are running to pull air through the condensor. They should activate long before the system reaches the 400 psi level that is kicking the compressor off.

·
HPT Street Tuner
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everybody for the advise/comments.
i took the car to another shop today and had the basic a/c sevice done. (vaccum/recharge). now the a/c is working the way is supposed to. and yes, it was overcharged.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts