LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my High Performance Driving class yesterday at the local track and all I can say is it was the best car experience ever and anyone that gets a chance should take one. It was a full day. The morning started out with an emergency braking exercise, miss the stalled school bus in the middle of the raod but don't hit the Semi head on exercise, and the ever famous slalom. In the afternoon we had 5 20 minute sessions on the track. (see http://www.pacificraceways.com/ and select track info and then track specs). What a hoot!!!! All sessions were with an instructor in the passenger seat. My instructor knew everything about the GTO. He has been testing them all over the country (along with the C5 and C6). Anyway the first session started out slow and the last session he had me up to 140 mph. How do you spell eeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa. Turns 10 and 1 are not factors. You have to cram on the brakes before turn 2 to get down to 40. And I mean cram!!! I found out what a torque monster we really have. I was hitting the traction control in turn 7 everytime until we figured that I had to ease the gas pedal and not punch it. The instructor wouldn't let me turn the T/C off as he didn't want to go ass backwards off the track. All in all a very bonding experience.
:drink::drink:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
sounds like a great time. but i dont think i would wanna do it in MY car. haha. still jealous.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Tails said:
I had my High Performance Driving class yesterday at the local track and all I can say is it was the best car experience ever and anyone that gets a chance should take one. It was a full day. The morning started out with an emergency braking exercise, miss the stalled school bus in the middle of the raod but don't hit the Semi head on exercise, and the ever famous slalom. In the afternoon we had 5 20 minute sessions on the track. (see http://www.pacificraceways.com/ and select track info and then track specs). What a hoot!!!! All sessions were with an instructor in the passenger seat. My instructor knew everything about the GTO. He has been testing them all over the country (along with the C5 and C6). Anyway the first session started out slow and the last session he had me up to 140 mph. How do you spell eeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa. Turns 10 and 1 are not factors. You have to cram on the brakes before turn 2 to get down to 40. And I mean cram!!! I found out what a torque monster we really have. I was hitting the traction control in turn 7 everytime until we figured that I had to ease the gas pedal and not punch it. The instructor wouldn't let me turn the T/C off as he didn't want to go ass backwards off the track. All in all a very bonding experience.

that sounds like a great time....I have to find something here in RTP, NC area.

·
Registered
349 Posts
1973corvette said:
that sounds like a great time....I have to find something here in RTP, NC area.
Hey, if you find something in this area, let me know. But, I'm actually more interested in autocross than road racing. I'd like to find a near buy Evolution class or something like that.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Tails said:
How do you spell eeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa.
It's spelled "YYYEEEEEE-HHHAAAWWW!!!", I believe.

You'd probably want to verify that with Webster's...

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Tails at 140 MPH! Good thing they didn't ask you to get out and walk a straight line. :gr_jest:

All seriousness aside, I know you had a ball. I've been thinking about Mid-Ohio for a while now.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
gto_in_nc said:
Sounds like a blast to me! Now I'm itching... QUOTE]

I'll second that
I wonder if Road America offers something? hummmm
Guess I need to inquire :secret:

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Tails said:
sounds like a really great time..... :cool:

·
duh
1,214 Posts
Sounds like fun :driving:

·
New Owner, with a WEG
137 Posts
With this much car, some extra training would be a good thing.

I was down in the Phoenix AZ area last week, and passed the Bondourant (sp?) Racing School. I need to talk my boss into sending me to Chandler for a few weeks... that way I can spend some time on the track, "learning."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts