LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ohhhh prettty
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) My car must have been washed with a sandy towel before I bought it becuase there are fine scratches EVERYwhere. It really looks like someone just whiped sandy dust all over it. Im going to wax it this saturday, but im affraid that waxing alone is not going to do the trick. Is there anything that will remove or fill in these little scratches?

2) What kind of wax should I use. One of my dads good friends says not to use the stuff in stores becuase of some kind of clay, yada yada, that will damage the paint or wont work as well as some other stuff... anyway JW what to use.

3) I HAVE to drive the goat 30 min on the interstate to school 2 days a week. It is getting chipped up pretty bad, much worse than I had anticipated. (Im used to driving a truck which doeent get chipped hardly at all). Should I just get some touchup paint, or get one of those ugly bras?

4) My car already got a small key I believe on the hood... its not really deep but its white and def shows... what should I do to take it away.

Ok well reguardless of how it may sound I baby my new goat more than anything a I have ever owned, and park in the vacant top floor of the parking garage in order not to get any dings, etc... and it kills me to have all these annoying little blemishes already. Any advise would be awesome! :drink: :gears:

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Detail

Get A High Speed Polish At A High End Body Shop Then Wax It Monthly.

For The Chip Issue, Get Them Fixed And Then Get A Clear Bra.

Your Done..

·
Waiting for GF4
2,942 Posts
A friendly piece of advice would be to do a search on this subject. There are a TON of threads in this section that will give you a lot of answers.

With that being said. There are several ways you can go and there are going to be a crap load of opinions thrown at you with this thread so be ready.

ME PERSONALLY, I have been converted from using meguires to Zaino. I love it and there are products that will help with the fine scratches you have. You can read more about it at Zainobrothers.com.

There is also Tropicare which is a sponser on the left have not personally used them but a lot of people have been using it and impressed with it.

Regardless of what you use the results you will be looking for will all depend on the PREP of the paint before putting anything on it. Claybar the car first from top to bottom this will remove all the contaminents that have etched into the clearcoat and or paint. Once you have properly prepped the surface then your choice of wax and or polish will work that much better.

Good luck and enjoy the car and post pics when done...

·
ohhhh prettty
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked the Zaino site, is the "car polish" wax?

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Find a detailer with an orbital polisher and/or a rotary buffer. Pay them $100-$125 to go over your car with some foam polishing pad compound, rubbing compound, swirl mark remover, whatever they will need to get the fine swirls and scratches out. This probably makes more sense than recommending you buy the $150 Porter Cable kit and at least $50 worth of 3M compounds.

After you get your paint prepped like this, consider investing in a wax/polish/sealant that you like. There are many out there. I personally use Zaino products because I am happy with the ease of application, shine, and longevity. Beware, wax products can be a religious debate: Zaino vs. Meguiars vs. whatever can be like Baptist vs. Catholic vs. Lutheran...

·
My normal state of affairs...
5,909 Posts
if you just wanna hide the swirls and small scratches, try some meguiars gold class liquid wax. easy to put on and remove, but only lasts a couple of days, maybe a week if it doesnt rain. but it makes my black look oh so shiny:)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Unfortunately, every time you use a towel, rag, or just rub up against your car with your clothes, you can cause the fine swirl marks. The best way to remove them as stated above is have them buffed out with either an orbital or rotary buffer and a foam cutting pad with a light polishing compound. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, have the job done by a professional. Wax will not remove swirl marks because wax is not an abrasive nor will wax keep swirl marks from appearing again over time regardless of what type wax or sealer you use. Some paint colors will show swirl marks more than others, but to get the best finish on your cars paint, follow this formula, 1) wash 2) clay bar 3) polish 4) wax.

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
Hummina said:
if you just wanna hide the swirls and small scratches, try some meguiars gold class liquid wax. easy to put on and remove, but only lasts a couple of days, maybe a week if it doesnt rain. but it makes my black look oh so shiny:)
man lol i don't know if it's worth it if it only lasts a few days. and it's florida and it rains every day here so it's even worse

·
Registered
338 Posts
ArkansasGoat said:
1) My car must have been washed with a sandy towel before I bought it becuase there are fine scratches EVERYwhere. It really looks like someone just whiped sandy dust all over it. Im going to wax it this saturday, but im affraid that waxing alone is not going to do the trick. Is there anything that will remove or fill in these little scratches?

2) What kind of wax should I use. One of my dads good friends says not to use the stuff in stores becuase of some kind of clay, yada yada, that will damage the paint or wont work as well as some other stuff... anyway JW what to use.

3) I HAVE to drive the goat 30 min on the interstate to school 2 days a week. It is getting chipped up pretty bad, much worse than I had anticipated. (Im used to driving a truck which doeent get chipped hardly at all). Should I just get some touchup paint, or get one of those ugly bras?

4) My car already got a small key I believe on the hood... its not really deep but its white and def shows... what should I do to take it away.

Ok well reguardless of how it may sound I baby my new goat more than anything a I have ever owned, and park in the vacant top floor of the parking garage in order not to get any dings, etc... and it kills me to have all these annoying little blemishes already. Any advise would be awesome! :drink: :gears:

1.) You're probably right about the sandy towel. I think that dealership detail (hardly the right word) guys have to do so many cars that they just don't take time to get a new towel if they drop the one they're using.

2.) How you use the product and the steps you take have far more to do with the results than where they were purchased. If you're tackling the job by hand .... I would suggest that you:

Wash - 2 buckets (one for the soap & one to rinse the mitt) and 2 mitts (one for the top half and one for the bottom - mid door down)
Dry - use waffle-weave microfiber and lay the towel on the car and pat it dry. Do not drag anything around on your car.
Clay Bar - to remove surface contaminants
Pre-Wax Cleaner - preps the surface for paint
Glaze - replaces some nutrients into the paint and fills many of the scratches
Wax - protect the surface from the elements

If you use good techniques, you can have a great looking car from Meguiars, Mothers, Eagle 1, Liquid Glass, Zaino, Tropi-Care, 3M, Sonus, Soverign, etc., etc.

3.) If you know you're going to be on the highway that often, then yes, get the existing nicks taken care of and then get a Clear Bra if you have the money for one. If not, spend roughly $100 and get a Colgan Bra and use it those two days per week. If you decide to tackle the touch-up work yourself, find a product called Langka. It's excellent.

4.) If the scratch isn't too deep, try Mothers Scratch Remover. Just follow the directions and use many, many light applications without applying hardly any pressure.

·
ohhhh prettty
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome post wizard, can I find all of the products u mentioned in part 2 at say, wal-mart? Or where can I find a kit like that, I would order online but I have lots of free time this weekend and am set on doing it.

·
Love my Robyn
278 Posts
ArkansasGoat said:

2) What kind ...QUOTE]

I work at a dealership and I have the same problem that you have, bought a preowned goat and has a bunch of microscratches all over it (swirl marks). The detail dept. recommended that first do a good handwash (never go through a wash that has the brooms, big swirly things, or anything that touches your car) it should be touchless or do it yourself with the hand washing. After the good wash use a clay bar, that should take off a lot of crap off your car without hurting it. Then I would recommend a real good buff with some good polish, wax...as long as it is clearcoat safe.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
ArkansasGoat said:
Awesome post wizard, can I find all of the products u mentioned in part 2 at say, wal-mart? Or where can I find a kit like that, I would order online but I have lots of free time this weekend and am set on doing it.
You might be able to find the buckets, et. al. at Wal-Mart. You're not going to find _good_ microfiber towels and wash mitts there, though. You should be able to get the clay bar at an auto parts store. It's probably worth the time to visit autopia.org's forums and look at the vendors that advertise there - I would hold off doing much with your vehicle until you have the proper tools. I've bought stuff from properautocare.com and PakShak... been pleased with both (need more towels!). Also use a California Water Blade to help remove the rinse from the car... following up with patdowns from an absorbent microfiber towel.

stevenmalone said:
I work at a dealership and I have the same problem that you have, bought a preowned goat and has a bunch of microscratches all over it (swirl marks). The detail dept. recommended that first do a good handwash (never go through a wash that has the brooms, big swirly things, or anything that touches your car) it should be touchless or do it yourself with the hand washing. After the good wash use a clay bar, that should take off a lot of crap off your car without hurting it. Then I would recommend a real good buff with some good polish, wax...as long as it is clearcoat safe.
Sounds good, except if you want to really diminish/remove the swirl marks, you're going to need to use something like 3M's foam polishing pad compound, or their swirl mark remover. Wax will only cover them up briefly, if the swirls are very minor, but they will return when the wax is gone.

I know people are scared of "buffing" their paint, but the Porter Cable orbital polisher really makes a remarkable difference in paint prep, if you can afford the $150 (package from Tropi-Care, sponsor on the left). It's not super hard to use and you can't damage your paint as easily as you can with a true rotary buffer...

·
Registered
338 Posts
ArkansasGoat said:

You should be able to find most of what you're looking for at PepBoys or another fairly full-line auto parts store. Auto Zone or Advance/Discount Auto Parts or even NAPA will carry Mothers and Meguiars products.

RobertHammen said:
I know people are scared of "buffing" their paint, but the Porter Cable orbital polisher really makes a remarkable difference in paint prep, if you can afford the $150 (package from Tropi-Care, sponsor on the left). It's not super hard to use and you can't damage your paint as easily as you can with a true rotary buffer...

Robert is giving you excellent advice. The kit from Tropi-Care is a great deal! and makes it easy to get what you need from one vendor. I have not personally used Tropi-Care, but have heard all positives. If I did not already have a Porter Cable, I'd buy this package in an instant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts