LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed all LED lights in my GTO other than the headlights and the lights in the mirrors in the visors. All the other interior lighting is LED. All the turns, brakes and marker lights are LEDs. I installed resistors on the brake light circuits so the cruise control will work right. Everything works great.

However, the other day I noticed that the front turnsignals are maybe not getting the best lighting out of the reflectors as it could be with perhaps a different LED bulb style. I have LED bulbs in there now that fire straight out and to the sides, but they don't seem to fill the reflector in the same way a normal bulb would do. I was going to test them with other styles of bulbs but realized the car that has the other style bulbs is tucked away in storage. Anyway, in the process I was looking at the lighting from different angles later in the night with just a few lights on in the garage so I could get a real feel for how the lights would look to other cars. The front LEDs are very bright and very visible, but I'd still like to see how they look with Sylvania Zevo bulbs which work amazingly well in my other car. Anyway, that's not my point here.

To see all the lights working at full blast, I turned on the emergency flashers. I noticed two odd things:

1. in the rear both the brake lights and the turns blink with the emergency flashers. Is this normal? I don't recall this happening with regular bulbs.
2. also in the rear, the license plate lights flash very dimly with the on/off of the emergency flashing of the brakes/turns. I KNOW this is not normal, must be some kind of weird feedback due to the LEDs. I'll bet a resistor on the license plate lights would clean that up but I'll probably leave it as is. Just thought it was weird.

Do the emergency flashers normally flash both the brake and turnsignal lights in back?

TIA

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
No.
My $.02 (may have less value, feel free to disregard), I'd just go back to the OEM filament bulbs. I've done LED's on my other vehicles (also not 100% issue-free but mostly successful) but for never felt motivated to do the same on the GTO. Partly because of the known issues and also just didn't feel the need.

·
GR-RRR!
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
To be clear, other than the weirdness in the emergency flashers I've not had any issues. Brake lights work fine. Driving lights work fine. Turnsignals work fine. Back up lights work fine. License plate lights work fine. The cruise control works fine. I don't care about the traction control since it is disabled by the tune anyway. But the dash believes I can turn it off and on.

Going off the video, his flashers seems to only flash the turn signals in back. That seems normal. I did not replace the flasher in the fuse panel though. I do not have hyperflashing though. I could try the flasher unit Josh suggests to see if it affects the emergency flashers issue, but if I recall correctly, the flasher unit for the emergency flasher is separate from the turn signal flashers and is also built into the flasher switch itself and not readily replaceable. I do recall having weird things like this happen when I converted our VW to LEDs but that was resolved with installing one more resistor to clean it up.

I still have the original regular bulbs, I guess I can experiment. But honestly, I think it is actually a benefit to have the brake lights flash with the emergency flashers anyway, makes things much more visible.

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
But if that is happening you have circuits crossing that shouldn't be. I would fix that.
I also don't care for using resistors to resolve the fast-flash or cruise issues for a couple of reasons- they negate the low current draw advantage of the LED's, and they are a melting/fire hazard especially on the brake lights where they may be energized for long periods. In the two other cars where I've replaced the turn signals with LED's I was able to swap the flasher for a Tap-Turn which not only is LED-friendly but adds the "tap for 3 flashes" feature. No such option for the GTO AFAIK.

·
GR-RRR!
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I do have an EP35 flasher in the car. I must have forgotten about that.

Through experimenting tonight I found that putting regular bulbs in the brake lights they do not come on with the flashers. Also, the brake lights do not flash with the flashers if the ignition switch is on, the augmented brake lights flashing with the flashers only happens if the ignition is turned off. Curiouser and curiouser.

Also, the resistors are mounted in a place where they touch nothing but metal and can't touch anything but metal. They were installed with heat sink paste on them. They do get warm with extended use, but never burning hot. Heck, regular bulbs get a LOT hotter than the resistors ever do. In fact, my main motivation to use LEDs was to kept those burning hot bulbs from melting the plastic in the lighting reflectors and/or damaging the plating attached to the inside of the reflectors. I have exceptionally hard to find and very expensive 427 tails and I'll do anything to keep them from premature wear and tear or unnecessary damage.

·
Administrator
8,385 Posts
Had been thinking about doing an LED conversion on my 04, but thanks for confirming some of my fears. I’ll stick with regular bulbs.

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
They're not necessarily brighter, as pointed out in the first post. The light housings are designed for filament bulbs which radiate light in all directions, but LED's are directional. This is addressed to varying degrees of success by using multiple LED elements, diffusion lenses etc. so it may be necessary to try different ones to find something that works acceptably. If you look at a site like superbrightleds.com you will see brightness ratings and dispersion angles for every bulb, this can help with selection.
The main advantages of using LED bulbs are much lower current draw (unless you have to use resistors) and instant activation (a filament bulb takes a fraction of a second to heat up and produce light) which helps with other drivers' reaction time in seeing your brake lights and turn signals.
Another potential issue to consider is that LEDs produce RFI, because the bulbs have internal PWM circuitry for regulation. This can sometimes result in interference with broadcast radio although it's more of an issue if you have 2-way stuff as I do. I had to remove the LED I had in the center-high stop light on the RAV because it was very close to my 2-way antenna and produced an unacceptably high amount of hash on UHF frequencies. I still get some from the brake lights but it's tolerable albeit annoying.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I've used cheap LEDs without success and VLEDs with great success. I was going to go full VLED on the car. Maybe I'll just go turn signals with a Diode Dynamics plug in flasher/resistor, LED reverse and just find another solution with brakes/tails.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
No issues with mine and all LED's
Didn't want the heat of a resistor for the brakelights, so took a 4 prong lighting relay, and hooked the coil pins across the brake light wires on the left side. TC and all had no more issues, and haven't seen any issues at all

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
42 Posts
I recently replaced all the interior and exterior lighting with LED's. I have no issues with this setup(no cruise issues, no flickering, everything works perfectly fine). I didn't even have to use any resistors, just the solid state flasher relay. I don't see why you guys are wiring in resistors when you can buy LED's that are compatible without them, makes for a much easier and cleaner install.

Also these LED's really fill out the reflector bowl, they shine from 360 degrees. Also they are a 1:1 design with halogen filament so they have great optical output with the reflector. These actually are on the edge of too bright!

Headlights:

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I recently replaced all the interior and exterior lighting with LED's. I have no issues with this setup(no cruise issues, no flickering, everything works perfectly fine). I didn't even have to use any resistors, just the solid state flasher relay. I don't see why you guys are wiring in resistors when you can buy LED's that are compatible without them, makes for a much easier and cleaner install.
The brake light bulbs, even the CANbus compatible, still left the TC and cruise inoperable. The first set I chalked up to cheapo LED's, so I went with a pair of Diode Dynamics CANbus compatible. (Not cheap) Same issue. Measured voltage across the bulb with key on, engine off and brakes not active and got about 2V (Normal LED forward voltage drop). With a regular bulb it's 0V. Used the coil of the Bosch lighting relay and it dropped to 0V and all was working BCM doesn't like "stray" voltages. doesn't match with what is commanded, so it disables TC and Cruise

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
42 Posts
That's very strange. I just tested my cruise and TC and it all works perfectly using the LED's I posted........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts