LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rear Seat Delete Builder
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people do it? What harm will it cause the tranny?

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
I've done it...I personally like starting from "3" better. The shifter is cumbersome at "1" because it's so far back. Usually causes my wrist to hit my bottled water in the cup holder. ;) Also, I've noticed that upshifting manually provides for a short delay on every shift. Personally, I'd rather let the computer do the thinking. Ever notice how it shifts right at the redline with the A4? Can't do much better than that!

·
The Anti Dyno Racer
473 Posts
On an A4, the computer will outshift the human every time. Nothing will really get hurt, but I wouldn't bump the limiter too many times or you'll be replacing valvesprings.

·
2004 Torrid Red GTO
1,119 Posts
amen NJ. Why do it yourself when the computer will outgun you every time? Unless, you just want to hold a gear at like 5K rpm for some messed up reason...like the exhaust note :D

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
msfyter said:
How many people do it? What harm will it cause the tranny?
I did this the other night at the track and bounced off the limiter twice, there is a delay for sure. I shifted at like 6000rpm and just was not a good run. I dont recommend it at all.

·
Step into the Torque
190 Posts
NJTorque said:
On an A4, the computer will outshift the human every time. Nothing will really get hurt, but I wouldn't bump the limiter too many times or you'll be replacing valvesprings.
will the computer let the A4 hit the rev limiter? I havent tried it on the GTO, but on my 01 GP even with the gear selector in 1, the computer will shift the tranny at 6000 rpm every time. I called it idiot control. But on some cars, like the chevy malibu, it will not shift. I was told because the malibu didnt have traction control and the GP did.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Silver LS1 GTO said:
will the computer let the A4 hit the rev limiter? I havent tried it, but on my 01 GP even with the gear selector in 1, the computer will shift the tranny at 6000 rpm every time. I called it idiot control. But on some cars, like the chevy malibu, it will not shift. I was told because the malibu didnt have traction control and the GP did.
YES.....it will hit it.

·
Step into the Torque
190 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
I did this the other night at the track and bounced off the limiter twice, there is a delay for sure. I shifted at like 6000rpm and just was not a good run. I dont recommend it at all.
ok theres my answer.

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts
Couldn't you use something like HP tuners to program the tranny to shift instantly when the lever is moved?

·
3Deucesanda5speedanda455
411 Posts
I thought you guys bought an auto so you wouldn't HAVE to shift manually? ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
It's not so much the shifting as pushing and holding in that damn clutch in rush hour traffic. I do wish the GTO had a tiptronic transmission like the GTP. And yes, from first had experience, the GTO will definitely hit the rev limiter and not shift out of first until you push the lever up. I pulled out of a Quik Trip and forgot I'd put it in 1st. I hoped no one saw me as I'm sure I looked like an idiot with the car sputting and cutting out at 6,000+ RPM.

·
KBAS
221 Posts
Those who will not endure the downsides of the M6, do not deserve the pleasures of the M6... if the care were purely for the track, go A4. Otherwise, be a man and grab the M6... it's the only way to drive.

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts
Oh crap, here we go again. :rolleyes:

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
I used my HP Tuners to change the partial-throttle kick-down tables. For example, stock it will only kick-down from 4-3 at WOT. Similar on the 3-2 and 2-1. I changed it so it will kick-down on partial throttle. So I can now use the throttle to shift. :cool:

Here you go, new table on the top, stock on the bottom:

Padre

·
IBM GTO owner
60 Posts
Yes an a4 will hit the rev limiter even in D on a shift. My car has done this on the 2-3 shift a bunch of times. supposedly it was a software error. And yes M6's are great my trans am is an M6 however i'm sick of driving over driveshafts, transmounts and other drivetrain components. I'm a very violent stick shift driver but i get good times out of the car, the by product is i break...alot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts