LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard this quite a bit and both seem to be about the same. Does it give you a better 60 time or with hold the TM crap? It seems like in (d) working your foot down still will spin and go. Please enlighten me:eek:

... I searched for about 10 minutes and couldn't find anything. This is a hard thing to search for!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. The only thing I could think of was that it would "feel" geared lower and maybe on these cars you could get a little more acceleration at half throttle and maybe, just maybe... keep TM from pulling so much timing. Oh well... staying in drive for now.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
There have been some assertions in the past that starting in 3 will give you a better 0-60 than D. However, I've seen nothing but anecdotes to prove that assertion.

But starting in 3 will give you an advantage on the road - it won't shift into overdrive and lock the converter if you back off the throttle.

At the track, I used to start in 3 because I never imagined topping out 3rd in the traps. Now I do. I go through the traps in overdrive now.

Bottom line - there is no inherent problem except that if you're in a situation where you don't want it to go into overdrive.

Padre

·
Registered
2 Posts
racing in D vs OD

It is my recommendation to my customers that they race in the "overdrive position"

The reasoning for this is that in overdrive the overrun clutches arent engaged as they are in any other range, and provides a solid 20 -30 psi extra pressure on the main line during the 2/3 shift. And we all know that that being the weakest point on the 4l60E needs all the help it can get.

Fact- Drag racing in OD is better for the transmission.

Shane Cobb
Carolina Performance Transmission
www.CPT4l60E.COM

·
WELL WELL , WANNA PLAY HUH!
81 Posts
Well, thats informative. Didn't know that. Will have to try it next time I can run at the 1/4 mile. All I have is an 1/8 mile track to run on so I launch from 1st and shift to 2nd about 4500 so it'll shift in 2nd at the top of the rpm's. It usually bangs the rev limiter at the traps.

·
Went over to the darkside.
970 Posts
I use 3rd because HRJ, Baaa, and Pro-farm goat told me to.

Nuff said. :D :D :D

·
06 Goat Owner
132 Posts
GTWhoa said:
How does that keep you from putting it in D after the burnout?
Too lazy. never really made a difference in my car. beside i have other things to consentrate on. Like my RT's

·
A Twin Four Cylinder
1,374 Posts
i shift my A4 ... So HAH !

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Dustman said:
It is my recommendation to my customers that they race in the "overdrive position"

The reasoning for this is that in overdrive the overrun clutches arent engaged as they are in any other range, and provides a solid 20 -30 psi extra pressure on the main line during the 2/3 shift. And we all know that that being the weakest point on the 4l60E needs all the help it can get.

Fact- Drag racing in OD is better for the transmission.

Shane Cobb
Carolina Performance Transmission
www.CPT4l60E.COM
If you launch in L3 you have a band holding the low reverse planetary, right? If you launch in D you will smack the sprag on the launch?

shift pattern will be different in low range (L3) as will band clutch application.

·
Dismembered
4,339 Posts
GMH GTO said:
If you launch in L3 you have a band holding the low reverse planetary, right? If you launch in D you will smack the sprag on the launch?

shift pattern will be different in low range (L3) as will band clutch application.
OK, OK. Once again in english please. It sounds like you disagree right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.